GT3 Cup Wheel. WOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 11:28 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
I did not install the spacer. With the telescoping wheel, I can find the perfect spot depending on what type of driving I am doing. Track/Mtn work is with the wheel pulled closest to me, where freeway driving is farthest away, and sometimes in between! Love it!
I didn't realize the steering column is telescopic! Mine moves up and down but haven't been able to work out how to make it telescope. Is there a 2nd lever somewhere?
Old 09-07-2015, 01:27 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Under the steering column there is a lever that you pull down, you can then telescope toward or away from you. I'm actually not sure that my wheel moves up and down though. Crazy. I'll check that out when I get home tomorrow. Wonder if there is a diff between NA cars and ROW cars? Hmmmmm
Old 09-07-2015, 10:10 PM
lotusGT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to the local race car shop and bought some Puma gloves. Rubber contact patches and external seams and not too expensive. FIA compliant. Should go well with the alcantara rim.

On the subject of maintaining the rim, I was told by the shop a copper bristle spark plug cleaning brush, applied to the wheel with small back and forward brushing motion will bring furry steering wheels back from being all flat and worn. That said I was also told the furry tillers should be viewed as consumables as eventually they get worn out.

Will post a pic once the new wheel is fitted.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:00 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Under the steering column there is a lever that you pull down, you can then telescope toward or away from you. I'm actually not sure that my wheel moves up and down though. Crazy. I'll check that out when I get home tomorrow. Wonder if there is a diff between NA cars and ROW cars? Hmmmmm
Very interesting as the lever you are talking about on mine moves it up and down but not in and out! Perhaps it's a RHD vs LHD thing? I'll have to have another play around with it.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:03 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lotusGT3
On the subject of maintaining the rim, I was told by the shop a copper bristle spark plug cleaning brush, applied to the wheel with small back and forward brushing motion will bring furry steering wheels back from being all flat and worn. That said I was also told the furry tillers should be viewed as consumables as eventually they get worn out.
I have heard a clean rag with water is the best way to bring them back to life. So far I have found it to be quite durable, I've done probably 2K of street driving since I had the wheel fitted and there is next to no signs of matting. Other wheels I've had in the past have matted quite quickly. You'll love the wheel. My wife got stuck with my Gt3 all day today as her Cayenne got locked behind our gate which failed...she even commented on how nice the wheel was! Haha.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:01 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

So no one here finds the OEM airbag useful?
Old 09-09-2015, 01:06 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it is useful for street driving when you are using 3-point belt. Not useful when using harness.. !
Old 09-09-2015, 01:18 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
I think it is useful for street driving when you are using 3-point belt. Not useful when using harness.. !
So it's useful then.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:35 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Similar to A/C and radio.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:07 AM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
I have heard a clean rag with water is the best way to bring them back to life. So far I have found it to be quite durable, I've done probably 2K of street driving since I had the wheel fitted and there is next to no signs of matting. Other wheels I've had in the past have matted quite quickly. You'll love the wheel. My wife got stuck with my Gt3 all day today as her Cayenne got locked behind our gate which failed...she even commented on how nice the wheel was! Haha.
I use a horsehair brush on my alcantara seats after spot checking with rag and water. Works great.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:09 AM
lotusGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by spiller
Very interesting as the lever you are talking about on mine moves it up and down but not in and out! Perhaps it's a RHD vs LHD thing? I'll have to have another play around with it.
OK. Just been down to look at my car quickly and there is a lever directly under the steering wheel column, and if you pull it down the wheel will telescope in and out - you need to give it a bit of force to make it move. Could make it move up and down but didn't try too hard. I did not see another adjustment but to be fair I wasn't looking really thoroughly. But, I can guarantee it telescopes in / out. RHD Australian delivered car. Mk II 2003/4 (can't exactly remember but got red calipers).

Old 09-18-2015, 02:08 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lotusGT3
OK. Just been down to look at my car quickly and there is a lever directly under the steering wheel column, and if you pull it down the wheel will telescope in and out - you need to give it a bit of force to make it move. Could make it move up and down but didn't try too hard. I did not see another adjustment but to be fair I wasn't looking really thoroughly. But, I can guarantee it telescopes in / out. RHD Australian delivered car. Mk II 2003/4 (can't exactly remember but got red calipers).

Love the nomex CS seats. Found one locally but it's only one
Old 09-18-2015, 12:01 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

The nomex seats are perfect for this car. I LOVE mine. Very interesting that your wheel telescopes. You will know it does because it moves in and out 4 inches or so. So it's not necessarily a RHD/LHD thing... Hmmm....
Old 09-18-2015, 04:20 PM
lotusGT3
Instructor

Default GT3 Cup Wheel. WOW!!!

The nomex seats are perfect for this car. I LOVE mine. Very interesting that your wheel telescopes. You will know it does because it moves in and out 4 inches or so. So it's not necessarily a RHD/LHD thing... Hmmm....
Yes, exactly it telescopes about 4" at a guess. I'm 100% sure.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:28 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Love my Nomex seats too !
Need to think of a way to protect them , especially the bolster

My UK s/ wheel telescopes only . Dont need the up or down anyway .

Did i say i love this car - it dances !

Perfect Dynamic instability

Quick Reply: GT3 Cup Wheel. WOW!!!