Sponsored by:

Low Oil Level warning

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 04:59 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Low Oil Level warning

It's only happened twice so far in the few months I've had the car, but both got my complete and instant "oh no Baby Jesus" attention.

Driving in a "spirited" manner on a rare section of at-the-time deserted roads, I made a very sharp left hand turn, halfway through which I saw the low oil level light illuminate. I slowed, stopped and checked the oil level about 14 times via the electronic manner (the dipstick is pretty much useless). All was well.

Then last light, a few weeks later, as I was coasting into a gas station (in neutral - very low revs) the light came on. Again, plenty of Mobil 1 is sloshing around back there.

Has anyone else had this happen? I'm guessing the very low revs had oil pressure at such a low level, combined with the angle of the gas station driveway may have caused the oil level sensor to momentarily go dry. Or maybe it's ghosts.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:54 AM
RobertGT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Porschedog, Don't Panic.....I've been told this is quite a common issue with 996 GT3 / GT2 / Turbos, the fix is a new sender unit, please do a search on this forum and you will find plenty of threads (that's how I managed to get some sleep the night it happened to me).

My issue is I have the same intermittent problem happening after installing my new sender unit, so I have now installed a t-piece before the sender and a mechanical gauge off it to monitor oil pressure, there is plenty of oil pressure, actually quite high when it's cold on fast idle, close to 100psi, then when warm is down to 40psi at idle, unsure if other members have monitored pressure with a mechanical gauge, I'm keen to hear others readings?

Since the standard sender is listed as a 0-5 bar gauge I have a theory that running so high (100psi) when cold could be damaging the gauge, keen for others thoughts on this.

Cheers

Robert
Old 07-26-2015, 06:56 AM
RobertGT3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Porschedog, there is a thread I was referring to

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ement-diy.html
Old 07-26-2015, 08:00 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 208 Posts

Thank you very much. It happened again this afternoon, after about an hour of mixed highway, local roads, as I was at a stop,sign turning onto my road, I got the signal for about a second. I'll be checking/replacing the sender unit soon.

Quick Reply: Low Oil Level warning