Sponsored by:

Power steering high pressure relief valve

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015 | 02:50 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Default Power steering high pressure relief valve

Hi!

Where is power steering high pressure relief valve located? Inside hp line? Inside the pump? Elsewhere?
This because most likely that valve has failed. Steering rack's RH dust boot leaks Pentosin...

TIA,
Old 07-19-2015 | 02:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Hi!

Where is power steering high pressure relief valve located? Inside hp line? Inside the pump? Elsewhere?
This because most likely that valve has failed. Steering rack's RH dust boot leaks Pentosin...

TIA,
For the Boxster the word I received was the HP valve was in a hydraulic line.

Not sure if this is the case with the 996 GT2/GT3 models.

With my 996 Turbo there was a bad power steering valve, it emitted a high pitched squeal under some circumstances, and the valve was part of the power steering tank.

While fluid leaking from a rack dust boot can be due to a high pressure valve failure -- it is often the cause of fluid leaking at these boots in Boxsters -- it could just be a bad seal at the rack.

Of course how to determine the pressure relief valve is working properly is a good question and I don't know the answer. But depending upon the cost to replace the valve it may not be that big of a hit to just replace it. With my Turbo the power steering tank was quite expensive, around $800.
Old 07-20-2015 | 10:18 AM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Basically the relief valve is located like this:

I took it off yesterday... I wasn't even dirty, moved freely. In short you can remove by first ripping off all stuff in front of the pump, then you loosen the high-pressure line and then the 27mm bolt (kind of) that holds the valve assy.
All Pentosin will flow out as bonus. No need to remove pump and reservoir.

However there is a flow restrictor inside that hp-line between the pump and hard line towards the front. IIRC it has 3mm hole. Turbo's line has it (I've seen), I assume that all others have it too. (If you look the PET carefully you can see "something" in the middle of that line. I think it's there to mark the restrictor.)

Quick Reply: Power steering high pressure relief valve