Sponsored by:

GT3 Intro

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 10:19 PM
lotusGT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 Intro

Hi guys, please see here so as not to repeat myself. Just gone through the GT3s in motion thread and it's awesome. Sorry I can't contribute.

My car is a 2004 996 GT3 Clubspec in white. I'm the second owner from new and bought it with 19k klms on the clock and now, 5 year later it's got 27k klms. The first owner bought it for club days and tarmac rally events and from day 1 the interior was taken out, including the steering wheel which meant that the car when it came to me had a virtually brand new interior, but with some stone chips in the usual places. It has a low final drive ratio, light flywheel, 993 RSR clutch, and a very unsilenced exhaust with cat delete for that racecar sound!

I use it for the same thing the previous owner did, plus some mountain runs. Tracks I go to are Philip Island and Sandown (Aus). Plus show boating around town and scaring people in railway underpasses!

Images attached are some randoms I've got to hand and of an event I went to. Car with the orange headlights has won Le Mans in its class and is 1 of 4 in the world. TBH I'm not entirely sure what it is.

Cheers.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:29 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Hawt!
Old 05-07-2015, 09:03 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Welcome mate, always good to have a few more Aussies around the place. My 6gt3 is also catless with a loud muffler but thinking of going straight pipes for giggles. Is yours running mufflers? Not sure what you think on the matter but I find sitting at traffic lights with the windows is not a great experience without the cat converters - the exhaust gas is toxic - watering eyes, burnt throat etc etc. Thinking about fitting some 100 cell cats.

Love the car, post more pics!
Old 05-09-2015, 01:01 AM
lotusGT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by spiller
Welcome mate, always good to have a few more Aussies around the place. My 6gt3 is also catless with a loud muffler but thinking of going straight pipes for giggles. Is yours running mufflers? Not sure what you think on the matter but I find sitting at traffic lights with the windows is not a great experience without the cat converters - the exhaust gas is toxic - watering eyes, burnt throat etc etc. Thinking about fitting some 100 cell cats.

Love the car, post more pics!
Hey, mine has a central muffler, but no cats. It's acceptable (noise) around town unless you open it up and then it's loud. Yes, the cat smell is annoying but, if you go an after market exhaust and do not have a crossover set up on the cats (which you probably won't unless you're modifying the std system), you're better off not running cats. If they are too close to the headers they get over heated, can disintegrate, and in extreme cases get sucked back into the engine on trailing throttle. I've seen cat pieces in a GT3 intake before...I'd be more worried about the EPA as if they catch you not running cats the fine is massive...
Old 05-09-2015, 10:45 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 217 Posts

Ah right, I didn't think of that but it makes sense. I have a centre exit on my exhaust like the cup cars so no way to run a cross over system. I do worry about the health effects of breathing that gas in but might have to just keep the windows up at the lights! I noticed you're user name lotusGT3, have you got a Elige too?
Old 05-09-2015, 11:59 PM
lotusGT3
Instructor

Lotus is a reference to something else, not a car. I wouldn't worry too much about the non cat gasses. Worst case they are a low level annoyance. I'll bet you die of something other than your uncatelysed exhaust gases . My tip is watch out for the EPA.

Quick Reply: GT3 Intro