Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which LSD are you running for your road or track 996 GT3?
Stock 996 OEM as ordered
21.43%
Stock 996 OEM diff w. different/uprated setup internals
19.05%
Stock 997/RS OEM
0%
Stock OEM 996 CUP
19.05%
Giken
0%
Club Guard
2.38%
Guard Motorsport
33.33%
Quaife
2.38%
Other (post description)
2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

996 GT3s - which LSD are you running for road or track?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 08:30 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Hello Guys,
I'm not a Rennlist vendor and I don't sell retail. At the end of that thread I announced that I am longer doing rebuilding services in house. My manufacturing business has gotten too busy. Many of my dealers are Rennlist vendors and if you put your location in your profile I can help by steering you to one of them. Folks like Rennsport Systems, Orbit,BGB and Autometrics, among others.

If you want to chat directly please email me. I usually surf RL on my phone when I'm not working and may miss a pm for days before I see it. If you email me at gtgears@yahoo.com I'll answer you during business hours.

Regards,

Matt
Old 05-05-2015, 10:05 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Matt - do you have any dealers in Los Angeles? The three dealers you have listed for CA on your site are not really near me...

Thanks
Old 05-06-2015, 12:57 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Tony Callas is in Torrance. RS Enterprises is in Ventura. Aase is in Fullerton. There's a bunch of guys in the Inland Empire or OC, though you might not want to travel that far.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:30 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Tony Callas is in Torrance. RS Enterprises is in Ventura. Aase is in Fullerton. There's a bunch of guys in the Inland Empire or OC, though you might not want to travel that far.
heh, Ventura is much further than Inland Empire or OC...was hoping for something in LA Proper. Even Torrance isn't exactly close to me

Do you have to go through one of your dealers?
Old 05-06-2015, 05:48 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Chicago?

Matt,

Do you have a referral for Chicago area?
Old 05-06-2015, 06:15 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Guys,
We are hijacking the heck out of Matt K's thread. Please email me...
Old 05-07-2015, 12:36 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadsby
Matt,

Do you have a referral for Chicago area?
I won't speak for Matt but I just had my LSD rebuilt with Guard parts by Eurosport in Bensenville (Midwest Eurosport). Matt was very helpful in telling me what was the best rebuild/upgrade option for my expected GT3 use - even saving me money over what I was thinking about doing (thanks Matt). The guys at Eurosport are great. I ended up with the stock LSD with Matt's rebuild set for the guts.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:44 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I am surprised at the result of 8 Guard Motorsport LSD. I'd have thought most would just use the OE LSD w/ Guard internals (option #2 on the survey).
Old 05-07-2015, 01:11 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 211 Posts

It's a survey and probably not a whole lotta people chimed in. All I know Guard is the IT you want in your car. Mike
Old 05-07-2015, 01:28 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I was thinking maybe people who should have checked #2 but checked #7 instead..
Old 05-07-2015, 03:29 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

^ you maybe right but I made it anon so we can't really tell

but judging by the bling of a new GT LSD from various (Mikmyu etc) threads, many seems happy to get the lighter, tougher unit and add something new and shiny to the mix

... cos stainless steel is the fastest color!
Old 05-07-2015, 01:37 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cfjan
I am surprised at the result of 8 Guard Motorsport LSD. I'd have thought most would just use the OE LSD w/ Guard internals (option #2 on the survey).
I think there's a couple of things at play there. First off we've got guys like Mooty and PJ who just want to go all in.

Then there's guys who have had these cars for a lot of years and a lot of track hours. I tell people to rebuild these units 1 time with my internals and then scrap them. This is because the bodies fatigue and break. It used to happen on the 996 Cup Cars all the time and is why Porsche Motorsports switched over to a billet LSD on the 997.2 Cups. As the power of the cars went up with 997.1 the failure rate went up as well. So you have guys on that list who might have used my internals the first time and then bought a complete unit.

The bodies are 1045 gear steel on the Club and 4340 Chromoly on the Pro. They will rust if you leave them out in the rain.

Yes, on Midwest Eurosport, either location. Or Al at TPC. The guys at Bilt, formerly of Napleton could also look after you in Chicago.

Sorry lax01, nobody in LA proper that I know of. 911 Design in Montclair if you want to go IE. And yes, you must go through one of my dealers. One only maintains the integrity of their brand when they maintain the integrity of the installer. Ask Andrew what happens to your LSD when the shop puts the ramps back in upside down.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:40 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 211 Posts

I think there's a couple of things at play there. First off we've got guys like Mooty and PJ who just want to go all in.

Then there's guys who have had these cars for a lot of years and a lot of track hours. I tell people to rebuild these units 1 time with my internals and then scrap them. This is because the bodies fatigue and break. It used to happen on the 996 Cup Cars all the time and is why Porsche Motorsports switched over to a billet LSD on the 997.2 Cups. As the power of the cars went up with 997.1 the failure rate went up as well. So you have guys on that list who might have used my internals the first time and then bought a complete unit.

The bodies are 1045 gear steel on the Club and 4340 Chromoly on the Pro. They will rust if you leave them out in the rain.

Yes, on Midwest Eurosport, either location. Or Al at TPC. The guys at Bilt, formerly of Napleton could also look after you in Chicago.

Sorry lax01, nobody in LA proper that I know of. 911 Design in Montclair if you want to go IE. And yes, you must go through one of my dealers. One only maintains the integrity of their brand when they maintain the integrity of the installer. Ask Andrew what happens to your LSD when the shop puts the ramps back in upside down.
So ramps upside down mean you can take advantage of lsd going in reverse or just pure implosion? Mike
Old 05-07-2015, 01:52 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

The ramps are directional. The tabs that run in the body are actually 2 different sizes. Put them in upside down and the big one gets stuck in the small end. Then the car becomes one wheel drive all the time. And when you get on it hard, the ramps come too far apart, making the gears run out on their tips. Run enough time like that and the gears will self destruct, taking out the whole LSD and sometimes the ring and pinion too!
Old 05-07-2015, 02:35 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I have heard much talk of the FLAT-OUT
& even of this so called dirt track experience

.... but what is this ALL-IN of which you speak !?

ok back to regular programming
... GTGears has a PM box unless you need to 'share' something

Quick Reply: 996 GT3s - which LSD are you running for road or track?