Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting New Gt3 ...Need Info Please !

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 11:11 AM
mmm208
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting New Gt3 ...Need Info Please !

Hello , Im planning to place a 2,000 deposit on a 2004 Gt3 this tuesday. Before i do , i would like to make sure this is the car for me. I obviously never drove one and cannot until i buy one. Since im buying the sight unseen, im a little nervous.

I have a few questions for current 2004 Gt3 owners.

1) Some people have posted that the car doesnt feel as fast as its really going. This bothers me as they call the 911 Turbo "Souless". Im wondering if the Gt3 has no real sense of going fast. I wanted to get a full report from owners on the feeling of flooring thecar through the gears.

2) I spoke to Watt on the phone and he said Gt3 has no power below 5000 rpm/ Is this True? Sounds strange.

3) I hear suspension is harsh. Is is inbearable or just firm.

4) Ceramic Brakes. Are these going to make the car accelerte faster?
Has anyone one driven one back to back to compare. how much weight per wheel is saved.

5) should i get full leather package. any pictures.

6) any pictures of thicker steering wheel.

can we get some in car video of someone winding through the gears.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:57 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1) Yes. Get a Turbo instead

2) That is true. The GT3's power is above 5k rpm's. It has 380 HP @ 7400 rpm's

3) It could be unbearable for you

4) Umm... brakes are made to stop a car, not to make it go faster

5) Get the Turbo. It comes with the full leather package as standard

6)

Go to http://www3.us.porsche.com/english/u...es/default.htm for some video clips.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:15 PM
noony
Racer

Don't you like the GT3 Viken?

I heard the GT3 can easily be used as a daily driver.

However, if you want things like full leather pehaps you should get a turbo?

What car are you driving at the moment? Watt's is a GT2, so of course the GT3 will feel relatively underpowered.

Indirectly, the brakes will make the car accelerate faster, as they are lighter than the standard items.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:51 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THE GT3 has far more sense of going fast. If anything the Turbo stock is souless and the GT3 is turly gifted.
The Turbo stock is a GT, not a sports car.
The power down low on the GT3 is good.
The car has a much more solid feel than the Turbo, no creaks.
The frame on the GT3 is seam welded, rather than spot welded and it shows in the feeling of the car. Very tight, and very firm. No energy is wasted in suspension compression.

My gf's brother has a Turbo, and he likes the feel of mine better.

The GT3 looks better. It also just feels like you are driving a sports car, whether you are goin fast or slow.

I mean if you are looking to buy a car to modify to get 800HP out of it then go with the Turbo.
Otherwise if you want to buy a fast GT go buy an SL500 or SL55.

If you want a true sports car feel buy the GT3.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:19 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

Default gt3 comments

I have never driven a turbo so I can't comment in that regard. I have an M5 as my other vehicle so this commentary is relative to that, as well as extensive driving of ferrari 360 and 550 maranello

1) The gt3 has a very real sense of speed. Because it rides very low, you do get the feeling that you are at speed, especially compared to something like an m5 that is very deceptive at 100mph+. In the gt3 the steering is sensitive to changes in the road surface and this combined with the sounds and visuals definetely conveys a good sense of speed. There is confidence in the vehicle, but awareness of traveling fast too.

2) Doesn't have the low end torque compared to m5 but nonetheless i personally was surprised at the pull, even below 5000. From 3000 and above it does not feel lacking (at least to me). The throttle response is instantaneous and the pull builds as the revs increase. You do get a feeling of being pushed back in the seat if you floor it in second or third.

3) I live in florida and find the suspension to be appropriately stiff. Our roads are very smooth relative to other parts of the country though .. you can feel the bumps but nothing terribly jarring. Again, appropriate for the type of vehicle I think and in line with the stiffness of a 360.

4) No idea .. doubt the weight diff would make a noticeable difference

5) I have full leather package and its nice. Leather pretty much everywhere. I haven't seen the non-full package though. I can send you some pics at some point.

6) I also have the thicker steering wheel and it feels good. Can send pics of that as well, although i would imagine its hard to tell the difference between that and the standard wheel.

Overall I find the car to be phenomenal. I also bought mine sight unseen, looking for a pure sports car that has feel, gives me a no-compromise sensory experience, and is practical. The engine sound at 7-8k will make your heart race and leave no doubt as to the purity of the car.

At the same time, I find that the car could be used no problem as a daily driver (subject to where you live), and I will probably do just that. Below 5000 rpm it has a very usable temperament to get around town, and when you want to unleash the rawness, just floor the throttle.

I think overall the car is a no compromise sports car that will not leave you wanting for more unless you are a torque junkie. It is not a GT - every drive is an experience.

Good luck
Old 09-07-2003, 07:54 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

RR,

be realistic, the car is gutless below 5500, although ceratinly more powerful than a VW Golf. try a steep uphill hairpin and come out at 4200..... snooze... until 6000. now try it in a GT2 or TT: after a few of these you cant even see the gt3 behind you. it's an "on the cam" car, like a 70-73S. it is fun between 5500 and 8200, well actually it's ok in that range and fun 6500-8200.

and the PCC brakes make a huge and noticeable difference, car is 44# lighter unsprung.

it has one of the finest suspensions i have ever experienced and with bar settings at 1 or 2 i wouldnt call it harsh, but it aint soft at all, in my gt2[same suspension] 2 is too soft for me everyday, but 4 is a little too much on bumpy malibu roads, but fine on the track and highways at 100-165. with bars at 4 or 5, i would call it harsh but its great for the track and hard pounding. i didn't look, but my guess is the factory gt3 settings were 1-2, anyone cann tell us?

Mark,

i tried to help but i dont think its for you, based on your queries here, you're too uncertain, better a TT perhaps?.

the full leather is 4 or 5?K, its a personal thing. in a performance car, i never add non-performance options [my gt3 only had PCCB and Xenon], but i am a very small minority of one. i will say i vastly prefer the full leather inerior in my gt2 to the cheezy vinyl that came in my gt3, but i'm d.mned if i'll pay extra for it.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:23 PM
mmm208
Banned

Default MORE Q'S

Thank for all the replys.

Its amazing that it has lower torque than an M5 but its almost a secong quicker from 0-60.

does anyone know for sure if lightweight PCCB brakes will make 0-60 noticeABLY QUICKER. what do you guys have?

If i dont order full leather package($2900) , does that mean ill get cloth seats like watt?

Should i get white or artic silver?

Is the car as fast as a stock TT?

Help.

FYI ...So far im going to get a gt3. I wish i could get to drive one b4 i order.
ANYONE LIVE IN THE NJ AREA? i would pay 500 bucks yo drive one

RGDS

MM
Old 09-07-2003, 09:28 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by watt
RR,

be realistic, the car is gutless below 5500, although ceratinly more powerful than a VW Golf. try a steep uphill hairpin and come out at 4200..... snooze... until 6000. now try it in a GT2 or TT: after a few of these you cant even see the gt3 behind you. it's an "on the cam" car, like a 70-73S. it is fun between 5500 and 8200, well actually it's ok in that range and fun 6500-8200.

IMHO... Compared to a TT or GT2, the GT3 it is lacking power down low. Compared to a standard Carrera, the increase in power and throttle responce is very noticable. Even staying below 4200 (breakin still) I can feel the difference.

As far as the ride, I consider it tightly sprung. Very tolerable to me, but may not be so to you.

Here is an interior shot with the full leather and thicker wheel.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:26 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Watt,

I think it maybe a case that you're simply over qualified to judge the GT3 on some levels; coming from the GT2 which has almost 200lb ft more torque - even the Space Shuttle at take off might feel "gutless" - not to mention you probably never put more than 200 miles on it. Took about 400 miles before my GT3 started producing good torque.

MMM208,

The GT3 is far from anyone's definition of gutless, the backend can easily be broken loose on the uphill curves of Stunt Cyn Rd, in second gear from as low as 3700rpm.

I believe the GT3's appeal is narrow, for people that want exactly that type of car. Someone that's gonna be totally happy with the GT3 isn't someone that would be happy with a Turbo - it wouldn't even be a serious consideration no matter how much power it's producing.

Get full leather (if you don't intend it to be a race car), plus it helps justify the price of the whole car (as it should be standard)

The GT3 looks too much like a regular Carrera in white or silver, I'd personally go for one of the more uncommon colours...

It's as fast as a Turbo in a straight line; faster thru the twisties.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:52 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

metal.
it's a good car metal, you dont have to be defensive... but you said it yourself: 200 ft lbs of torque more... does make a difference as YOU say! i'm also astounded 200 miles made a difference in your torque output on a car the factory dynos to check output before it leaves. i think you just started driving it, the boyz said you were kinda slow!!

josh, please send metal his new tshirt:

"my gt3 is NOT gutless below 5500 RPM"

mark,

my seats are leather not cloth, the dash and doors are vinyl. get the leather its much nicer, no the brakes will not make your 0-60 faster, and get white. it's darn equal to a stock TT and much more fun except in snow and mud. and have you ever thought about how much an M5 weighs relatively?
Old 09-08-2003, 12:32 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Optional Air Conditioning

Simple
Old 09-08-2003, 03:18 AM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by RR

1. If anything the Turbo stock is souless and the GT3 is turly gifted.

2. The Turbo stock is a GT, not a sports car.

3. The car has a much more solid feel than the Turbo, no creaks.

4. The GT3 looks better. It also just feels like you are driving a sports car, whether you are goin fast or slow.

5. If you want a true sports car feel buy the GT3.
I hope you don't mind that I took the liberty of adding numbers in front of all of the above comments so I could respond easily to them.

Look, I know this board is all about people's opinions, but IMHO, you could not be any more off the rocker than with these ludicrous, downright insane comments.

Granted, I have never even seen a new GT3, let alone ridden in one, but I currently have an '01 Turbo, and my past sports-car ownership experience includes my father's '01 CL600, my '99 C5 Vette, and my modified '95 Z28.

Here are my responses to specific comments that you made about the Turbo:

1. The turbo is not only full of soul, but is quite possibly the most exhilirating driving experience on the planet for under $150K. There is NO naturally aspirated street-legal vehicle that can provide you with the sheer enjoyment of feeling and hearing those turbos spool up and throw you back into your seat. Perhaps the stock suspension is not enough to win any major races with, but it certainly outperforms anything that mercedes, bmw, maserati, corvette, and almost any other brand has to offer.

2. I don't even have to respond to this utterly stupid remark. Everyone on this board knows what the truth is.

3. While I cannot comment specifically on how the GT3 performs in this area, I spoke to my service writer @ BH Porsche Service and asked him about the creaks in P-Cars. He said that they are due to the rubber seal around the windshield getting tweaked as the car goes over bumps and through turns. According to him, it is completely normal and there should be no difference in creaking among any model of 911.

4. The appearance issue is simply a matter of opinion, and I don't think that it's fair to state an opinion as an absolute. In fact, I think that the Turbo has some very distinct features that make it more attractive than any other 911 (the big openings in the front bumper, the side air scoops, and the low-profile wing). Also, I think that everyone on this board except you RR would say that driving a Turbo DEFINITELY feels like you are in a sports car whether you are going fast or slow.

5. Refer to all previous comments.

RR, I try to be as friendly and amenable as possible on this board - look at any of my other posts, but I think your comments are very unintelligent and completely groundless. In fact, you speak like someone who is very insecure and perhaps doesn't even own a Porsche.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:46 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by watt
josh, please send metal his new tshirt:

"my gt3 is NOT gutless below 5500 RPM"
That shirt's obviously not gonna fit me. Make mine read just like my sig.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:46 AM
Weng
Instructor

Just picked up my new GT3 this morning. Haven't taken it past 5,500 rpm yet but there is no doubt that it is a much improved car over the Mk1 GT3. Much better low end and happier lumbering around town - it's also a whole lot quicker than the previous model 2,000-5,000+ rpm. Suspension (although supposedly 20% stiffer) rides a lot better and they've fixed the serious tramlining that plagued the 1st gen. Front lip clearance is also better. Will post a more detailed comparison once I'm past break-in - will be tracking the car 3 weeks from now.

I'm convinced that this car is the one for me 'cause :

(1) I've lived with the Mk1 for quite a while;
(2) I cannot afford a GT2;
(3) I don't need rear seats;
(4) I'm at the track at least 20 days a year;
(5) IMHO the stock TT is a great car but just too "soft" for serious track use (needs brakes and suspension upgrades).
Old 09-08-2003, 10:22 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Trojan Man,

"Granted, I have never even seen a new GT3, let alone ridden in one,"

Unintelligent and groundless, don't you think?

Quick Reply: Getting New Gt3 ...Need Info Please !