Sponsored by:

GT2 Vs GT3 Vs 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 02:16 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by soon2be993TT
the motors are identical, the X50 has the GT2 tranny, turbos, and intercoolers. The only difference between the two is one is RWD one is AWD

Motor Trend just tested an 11.86 in the 1/4 mile w/ the x50

Porsche rates the X50 450hp (SAE). The GT2 (excl. '04) is 456 (SAE).

Greg A
Old 09-02-2003, 02:30 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that the pre 04 GT2 makes 456HP while the X50 makes 450HP (Porsche figures...).
Also, the trannies on the GT2 and X50 are NOT identical. I know for one that the GT2 has a tranny oil cooler while the X50 does not!
Old 09-02-2003, 03:12 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally posted by LSM
Are you sure? I was under the impression that the pre 2004 GT2 made like 10-15 more hp than the X50 and the 2004 makes 483hp. Times would only be close because of the lack of grip on GT2(rear wheel drive) on launch. It wouldn't make sense that a much lighter car making as much if not more power is not faster. MT tested the "regular" turbo at 11.93 in the 1/4 mile, not a huge difference for $18k.

-Lou

from what i've read on this board the motors are identical. The lack of some of the HP may just be porsche understating it or them making up for the loss of power that is going to be experienced through the AWD system
Old 09-02-2003, 03:13 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by msindi
I know for one that the GT2 has a tranny oil cooler while the X50 does not!
interesting, I would think the tranny cooler would be more important on the AWD system

not something that's hard to retrofit though. So what exactly has porsche done then to beef up the tranny in the X50?
Old 09-02-2003, 05:34 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I think it's just the synchro's (steel). The gear ratios appear to be unchanged. AS
Old 09-02-2003, 06:33 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ElDiablo Viper
Wow...not bad for bolt-ons! Just for 30K on a Viper you can get 800+RWHP and the 700HP rating here is at the motor.
I found some 01 TT's at Dupont Registry. They were in high 80's and low 90's. Any recalls or anything different from 01 to 02? That must be fun to have AWD with 700HP even I'll be slower than my friend with ~850RWHP Viper I should take him from a dig.
Can somebody post any other Porsche tuner links? Also who makes the best body kits? I love the way GT2 looks.

Here are pics of my Viper.
http://community.webshots.com/album/45959356KaCPfo

The Viper has more than 2x the displacment to work with
Old 09-02-2003, 07:43 PM
jp56
4th Gear

You'e going to find as many different opinions on this as there are members. Go test drive them all, although a GT2 might be harder to find for a test. There is one used GT2 on ebay that is in our area (Palm Beach). If I can be of assistance checking it out let me know.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:06 PM
msindi
Three Wheelin'

An oil cooler for the tranny is neither an easy nor a cheap retrofit!! Techart wont even sell the parts to theirs....You have to ship your car to Germany and the cost of the kit with install is like 7K Euros!!
Old 09-02-2003, 09:34 PM
Steve N.
Racer

I doubt that you will find an 02 GT2 for the same price as a new X50 - softness in the market extends to new cars as well as used. And, what is the point anyway? If you want to take advantage of the fact that someone else has taken the depreciation hit, you ought to look at used X50's as well. You will find a much larger selection than used GT2's.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:20 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by msindi
An oil cooler for the tranny is neither an easy nor a cheap retrofit!! Techart wont even sell the parts to theirs....You have to ship your car to Germany and the cost of the kit with install is like 7K Euros!!
is the current lines through the tranny run through the radiator?

It wouldn't be hard to t-stat a little tranny cooler into the mix.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:35 PM
billhart
Instructor

I just got my first Porsche, a GT-2, and continue to be enthralled by it. I have no wheel time behind a "normal" TT, so i don't know if it is as involving to drive, but the combination of hefty torque, relatively light weight, and serious handling have been a revelation to me, coming from ferraris, including the current v 12 offerings. The Lambo is such a different car, its like comparing,... well, a Lambo to a Porsche. I too like Lambos but until the Murci, have not thought seriously about owning one due to QC and availability of parts, service, etc. (If you live near Al Burtoni, that's a different story). The Porsche is in some ways the oppose of the Lambo:- it hardly attracts attention, and then, only by those who know what a GT-2 is; if you've ever driven a highline Italian car for any length of time, you know what attracting attention means; i also find the Murci to be a big, wide car, which would require certain skill to go truly fast on the tight twisties. I'm not so sure about Diablos, i know they were an improvement in some respects over the Countach, but honestly, the very first Countach, with the periscope roof, is to my taste, the most pure; the later incarnations took away from the purity of line as they added power. (Although a carb'ed QV would be bitchin'). Know a guy with a Countach who sunk a ton of money into it and would love to be rid of it, since he also has several other cars that he tracks. He is here in the NE. BTW, i like the viper, but how could you even think about a sports car without monster torque after that?
Old 09-03-2003, 06:57 AM
Fozzy
Instructor

I'd be surprised if on this board you're going to find one GT2 owner who does anything other than suggest that, all other practicalities aside, if you get the opportunity the GT2 is the only choice. From my experience, that'll include those who have also previously owned a TT, and may also have had one of the Italian exotics.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:06 PM
Deanger
Racer

Fozzy is correct.

I've had a slew of Turbos, culminating in the GT2. My current project is a 959. For my money, the GT2 is hands down the winner of the 996TT. Why? -- Feel.

On paper, the 996tt, especially modified, would seem to be just as good. Well, to me it isn't. It is very hard to quantify, but seat time, and the more the better, gradually seperates the two cars from one another. The GT2 has a feel that I have yet to see anyone duplicate in any TT.

Moreover, my past concerns with my GT2 due to the factory set-up of the suspension seemed to have been licked by the folks at Andial and the factory.

For me the choice would be a no-brainer
Old 09-03-2003, 12:37 PM
Hamann7
User

I dunno... the GT2 is an absolutely amazing vehicle. But I think my 996TT is just as good or better, but in a different way.

From what I can gather (since I never got to drive Dean's car but rode in it) , the GT2 seems to have more road 'feel' and is more nimble than the Turbo.

Although my 996TT has a more 'numbed' steering feel than a RWD Porsche, it makes up for it in pure excitement when the boost comes on. With my H&R suspension, swaybars, and PZero Corsas, it's got grip, grip, and more grip. As Tiff Needell once pointed out in Top Gear, the 996 Turbo is less about handling than it is about pure grip. And that's the way it goes around corners, while the GT2 kinda finesses around the corner.

That being said, with my power/weight, I believe that my car would smoke a GT2 under almost any circumstance. Also the feeling of putting over 600 horse to the ground is pretty awesome, and makes up for any lack of road feel.

FYI, even after Andial, I think Watt is still trying to find the right suspension setting for the GT2 for his type of use... it does come a little too twitchy from the factory.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:45 PM
Jared W.
Instructor

I have to add my opinion to those who have said that the GT2 is hands down the best 996 out there. I completely agree. It truly is an amazing car. I have said this before: I love the TT, too, but for different reasons. I would get the TT as an all around, more practical car. But the GT2 is pure, raw energy, and hard to beat in the sports car world, even when you consider Ferraris, Lambos, etc.

Quick Reply: GT2 Vs GT3 Vs 996TT