Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2 Vs GT3 Vs 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 11:44 PM
ElDiablo Viper
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that for the $ Viper will be faster. I just want different but not slower. For about the same $ you can get used GT2 or new X50...which one makes more sense. I'm leaning more for AWD since I live in NY. I do know how hard is to drive a car that is RWD...my Viper dynoed with 437RWHP and 480RWTQ.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:55 AM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from a Viper, I doubt you'll have any issue driving a GT2.
By the way, what is the source for the "25% crashed" statement?

AW
Old 09-02-2003, 01:06 AM
offroadr35
Instructor

we had a viper and now have a stage iv gt2. in my opinion the gt2 is much easier and more predictable than the viper because the chassis doesn't flex as much. the car was built to be able to handle all of the power. the viper sometimes seemed like a backyard fabbed chassis/suspension with a great engine thrown onto it.

also i think that 25% statistic is bs. first of all i don't know where anyone would even get a stat like that and more important it just seems completely unrealistic. everyone makes the car seem more unruly than it actually is. If you know how to drive and have experience with high powered rwd cars it will not be a problem. You just have to always respect it.

I personally do not like the feel of AWD cars so i would pick the GT2 over the turbo any day. if you are not going to be racing it, it is really a matter of personal preference.

-Steve
Old 09-02-2003, 01:15 AM
Jared W.
Instructor

Drive them all and see what you think. The GT2 is quite different than the TT, lighter, RWD, different suspension, etc. etc. You may find that the GT2 meets your needs stock. It really is an amazing car.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:39 AM
Jim Hodel
Advanced

I have a 99 GTS and I'd say that if you want a high horsepower street machine, just mod your Viper. If you want a more well sorted out and super fast track car, get the GT2 - that's what I'd get if cost wasn't an object.

Otherwise, I'd get the GT3, because the lower weight, fantastic brakes, and track oriented suspension appeal too me more the then the AWD, and luxury characteristics of the 996TT.

Jim
Old 09-02-2003, 01:52 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

watt-a question. wouldn't the questioner's skills in driving a viper make him the right person to get a gt2?
Old 09-02-2003, 02:33 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

What about Gemaballa? they make cars with new 996 turbos and/or GT2s with more then 750 HP, and they look great too. I think its caled the GTR 750. Something like that. Look into it.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:03 AM
Fozzy
Instructor

Originally posted by offroadr35
also i think that 25% statistic is bs. first of all i don't know where anyone would even get a stat like that and more important it just seems completely unrealistic. everyone makes the car seem more unruly than it actually is. If you know how to drive and have experience with high powered rwd cars it will not be a problem. You just have to always respect it.

Agree completely. The GT2 horror stories have to be taken with a pinch of salt - there are always going to be drivers who basically don't have the common sense or skill to drive a car like the GT2 with care, just as I'm sure there are any number of Vipers that have ended up embedded in other objects.

The RWD gives it a completely different characteristic to the TT - you simply can't step from one car to the other and treat them the same - the TT is far more forgiving of a heavy right foot, late braking, uncontrolled oversteer etc. I personally think that the concentration and attititude you need to drive the GT2 is ultimately far more rewarding. Take it to a track, kill a few cones, and learn the limits of the car, then you realise just how competent it really is.

I can think of a few people who have 'upgraded' from a TT to a GT2, but I don't know of anyone who's swapped the other way.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:55 AM
jp56
4th Gear

I would test drive them all and then make your decesohn. Everyone has difffernt needs. I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble driving the GT2 being a Viper driver.That was not my concern either. The Viper was fun to do long burnouts and hang the rear end out, but i just wanted somehtring that could blow the socks off anything out there an be a little more civilaized to drive. I race on the track at least once a month but I owuld never take my street car on the track. No roll cage or fire suppresion. I did have my Viper at the track once. I went through 4 new street tires pretty quickly and I wasn't even near the limit.

Sometimes too I take long road trips. 1000 miles in one hop. The TT is much more suited to this than the Viper.

The Viper is a beast, no question. Its a fun car. Test drive the GT2 or TT and you'll never look back.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:56 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fozzy,

I agree with your sentiments completely, I'm one of those people who tradeda TT for a GT2.

Also, I had a chance to drive the GT2 and the TT back to back at Leipzig last week. It confirmed my decision the TT is not for me, it's not as rewarding as the GT2.

Comfort and fun=TT
Fun and fun = GT2 (and even more fun)
Old 09-02-2003, 11:59 AM
ElDiablo Viper
AutoX

Is GT2 02 faster than X50? How much HP?
Old 09-02-2003, 12:25 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally posted by ElDiablo Viper

the motors are identical, the X50 has the GT2 tranny, turbos, and intercoolers. The only difference between the two is one is RWD one is AWD

Motor Trend just tested an 11.86 in the 1/4 mile w/ the x50
Old 09-02-2003, 12:26 PM
LSM
Racer

Originally posted by ElDiablo Viper

Yes! The GT2 is much lighter and has more hp/torque.

-Lou
Old 09-02-2003, 12:51 PM
Fozzy
Instructor

Hate to say it, but I think we're heading in the wrong direction here. The x50 / GT2 BHP figures, standing 0-60 figures, 0-100-0 etc are all pretty similar, if marginally in favour of GT2 (...maybe selective recall though!). Worth trying a search on the board because there are loads of threads comparing stats between the stock TT, X50, TT with various mods and GT2.

However it cannot be emphasised enough that the TT and GT2 are completely different animals to drive in terms of handling, roadholding, steering response...the list is endless. To be honest the GT2 is far more than a sum of data - there's absolutely no way that the decision can be made without trying both cars. My first thought was that if you're used to a viper, the TT may seem a bit tame, but a hell of a lot does depend on your own driving. Dunno, impossible to describe, but the GT2 is somehow more organic. But there again, living with one makes you extremely biased.

(Afterthought - makes it sound something akin to living with Angelina Jolie. Hmm. Never thought I had anything in common with Billy Bob Thornton)
Old 09-02-2003, 02:01 PM
LSM
Racer

Originally posted by soon2be993TT
the motors are identical, the X50 has the GT2 tranny, turbos, and intercoolers. The only difference between the two is one is RWD one is AWD

Motor Trend just tested an 11.86 in the 1/4 mile w/ the x50
Are you sure? I was under the impression that the pre 2004 GT2 made like 10-15 more hp than the X50 and the 2004 makes 483hp. Times would only be close because of the lack of grip on GT2(rear wheel drive) on launch. It wouldn't make sense that a much lighter car making as much if not more power is not faster. MT tested the "regular" turbo at 11.93 in the 1/4 mile, not a huge difference for $18k.

-Lou

Quick Reply: GT2 Vs GT3 Vs 996TT