Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the GT3 Market

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 05:40 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The GT3 is faster than the Turbo in every test except 0-60.

Roy
Old 08-28-2003, 05:41 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

it seems a porsche wide problem with too many units chasing too few buyers, but it is remarkeable that the first 30-60 gt3's were not absorbed.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:49 PM
ldw
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I had no problem absorbing mine.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:55 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shades of the RS America.

USA Porsche enthusiasts want the exclusive sport models when Porsche does not offer them here. But, when they finally arrive they sit on the lots and do not sell. Why? They are missing all the features the USA buyers really want, luxury and foo foo.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:57 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by watt
it seems a porsche wide problem with too many units chasing too few buyers, but it is remarkeable that the first 30-60 gt3's were not absorbed.
I don't understand your point and why you started this thread. You had a GT3 on order, it arrived and you took delivery but didn't like it for some reason. You preferred the GT2 over the GT3 and you sold the GT3. So, why come here and start a thread downplaying the car? Are you a bit pissed about losing a few pennies on your car?

As far as I am concerned, the lack of interest for the GT3, as you portray it, is no different from that of a GT2 or even any other Porsche for that matter. At this time, it seems to be driven by the economy just about anywhere in the world. The GT3 is a great driver's car for those who want to drive their cars. Those who are more interested in straight line acceleration, can always opt for the higher torque and horsepower cars.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:00 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by JC in NY
Shades of the RS America.

USA Porsche enthusiasts want the exclusive sport models when Porsche does not offer them here. But, when they finally arrive they sit on the lots and do not sell. Why? They are missing all the features the USA buyers really want, luxury and foo foo.
Amen!
Old 08-28-2003, 06:01 PM
LSM
Racer

Originally posted by RWO
The GT3 is faster than the Turbo in every test except 0-60.

Roy
Where are you getting your data. Porsche claims it is slower to 60 and 1/4 mile, braking is close, skidpad?, 0-100-0, turbo X50 just posted best time ever in a production car, only getting beaten by Enzo and Kawasaki motocycle. Are you saying the GT3 would have bested those times?? No traction control, less hp, less torque, no awd, does it handle better in real world scenarios? Not trying to knock the GT3, I just don't see where your numbers are coming from.

-Lou
Old 08-28-2003, 06:20 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

LSM: The number Roy mentioned are for base GT3 vs. base 996 Turbo. Only when you get to an X50 equipped 996 Turbo or a GT2 does the GT3 lose the 0-100 and 1/4 mile times. I think the X50 Turbo still loses on top speed.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:33 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

JC in NY: I think you have that a little off. Some of us waiting on GT3s are passing up the cars that are in inventory at some dealers as they're loaded up with luxury and foo foo options. A herd of dead cows in the interior or lots of carbon fiber applique are of no interest to me. Or i suspect many of the folks wanting the GT3 for what it is rather than because it's new or relatively limited production.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:43 PM
LSM
Racer

Originally posted by Steve in FL
LSM: The number Roy mentioned are for base GT3 vs. base 996 Turbo. Only when you get to an X50 equipped 996 Turbo or a GT2 does the GT3 lose the 0-100 and 1/4 mile times. I think the X50 Turbo still loses on top speed.
I had no idea. The numbers I have seen and Porsche's own numbers show the standard turbo faster to 100, 1/4 mile, 60, and top speed. Again, where are these numbers, I would like to see hard data.

-Lou
Old 08-28-2003, 06:52 PM
mb97tts
Racer

So for the most part are you GT3's owners that drive your cars say, 3 times a week on the street, happy?

Watt made it pretty clear why he sold. His might be a more unique situation running the canyons.

But it did get spanked by the 360 in the new EVO.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:57 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Steve in FL
JC in NY: I think you have that a little off. Some of us waiting on GT3s are passing up the cars that are in inventory at some dealers as they're loaded up with luxury and foo foo options. A herd of dead cows in the interior or lots of carbon fiber applique are of no interest to me. Or i suspect many of the folks wanting the GT3 for what it is rather than because it's new or relatively limited production.
You are right. But, there is a fair number of people who initially wanted the car but backed out when they realized it didn't have the usual amenities expected from a high ticket automobile. People who wanted a sunroof, rear seats, etc...
Old 08-28-2003, 07:04 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mb:

Not sure I'd say spanked...this is the end of EVO article to which you refer:

"As we exit the final hairpin and crest the rise of the Stelvio's summit I know the Porsche has been outgunned, but the GT3's still got right under my skin. I'm not in the quivering, adrenalin-saturated state I was on emerging from the 360 Stradale, a car that when pushed to extremes throws so much at you it's not a case of savouring the experience (as it is in the GT3) but simply surviving the savage sensory double whammy of volume and velocity. Choosing between them is painful, but if you're after the raw, nefarious thrills of a racecar on the road the Stradale gets the nod.

But this isn't the end of the story, for Stuttgart is poised to unleash an even more potent weapon from its armoury, the GT3 RS. Ferrari might have won the battle, but the war is set to rage on. To be continued..."
Old 08-28-2003, 07:04 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Aside from the Porsche numbers being quoted as a tenth of a second faster 0-60 favoring the turbo I still believe the GT3 bests the STOCK (no x50!) 996 TT in every imaginable test if only by a hair and comes in nearly $20,000 chaper (It's nearly $40,000 cheaper than the 996 TT with X50 package). Porsche numbers never reflect the true capability of their cars. They rate the boxster S at 0-60 5.9 but it is capable of 5.3.

I base on the fact that it beats the 996 TT on the nurburgring and on hockenheim. It absolutely indisputably out-brakes the 996 on its stock brakes which are bigger than the 996 TT stock brakes and the GT3 is lighter. I believe it even beats it by a couple on hockenheim which I believe is a track that favors a high horsepower car more than the ring.

For "hard data" take this car and driver article:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=2

"The Turbo and the GT2 may be more powerful, but the GT3 feels just as quick, a perception backed up by our test results. The GT2 rips to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds. During a preliminary test performed at the GT3's introduction in Venice, Italy, the GT3 hit 60 in four seconds flat and blew through the quarter-mile in 12.3 seconds at 118 mph. (The GT2 turns the quarter in 12 seconds flat at 121 mph and the Turbo at 12.3 seconds at 116 mph). When we eventually test a GT3 on the high-traction straight of our regular testing venue, we think it will prove even quicker."

They're saying the GT3 was able to match the turbo's accelearation times (and beat it's 1/4 mile speed) without even giving it a truly fair test. Due to the fact that the GT3 has a better power to weight ratio than the 996 TT I buy this.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:14 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

Viken,
why are you pissed? i loved the car, i just love gt2 more. does that downplay it? are we only allowed certain thread topics? is there guidance now on what we talk about? i'm trying to understand what i see as strange.

the guys are right that most drivers prefer no extra options as do i, which does explain those units sitting. and the economy is soft.

Quick Reply: the GT3 Market