Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ROI on GT3...(I could get two cars like mine for one GT3)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003 | 10:33 AM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Default ROI on GT3...(I could get two cars like mine for one GT3)

I know this will drive some of you crazy...
It's making me nuts. (I am considering a GT3 for next spring)

A close friend of mine noted that I could get at least two cars like mine for the price of one GT3.

I wish he hadn't.

I paid $44,000 for my car and it is in mint condition.

So lets assume this.

$44,000 (20k mile Slate Grey 996 coupe)
$3,000 (Coilovers/Swaybars)
$1,100 (mufflers/Airbox mod)
$4,000 (lightweight wheels/tires and brake pads/fluid)
$1000 (short shift, shift ****, GT3 console delete, corner balancing, etc)

$53,100 and I have a great car, fun to drive on and off road, sounds cool, and holds it's own on the track.

I UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE IN HP AND CHASSIS, ETC. BETWEEN MY CAR AND A Gt3

However.
With about $60,000 in disparity (assuming my GT3 will cost $115,000).

Jeez. In addition to my 996,

I could get a 964 race car/track car, a trailer, and tow vehicle.

I could get a 2004 E320, a trailer hitch, and a 125cc race kart (which I already have)

I could get a 993 and convert it to a serious track day car, then go on vacation.

I could get an E46 M3 as a daily driver.

Do I need to go on?

I love the thought of a GT3. Always have. Its why I drive what I do.

I guess I just wish that it would be so much more a departure from what I have now. I know its faster, and has updated lights, but I guess the change just feels a bit, well, underwhelming.

Perhaps if I where driving an umodified 996 cab or something. Then the change would be considerable. But I'm fast in my car. On and off the track. I get to work with great pleasure and huge speed. I don't need to go any faster. And since I've spent so much time on a race track, learning, with every lap, that better lap times are about better laps first, better cars second.

For $60,000, am I just getting a faster, tighter version of my car?
Same body (sans lights and bodywork). Same interior. Same steering, wheel, blah blah blah.

I want the change to feel like going from a modified 993, to a 996 GT3.

New car, new feel, new experience, vastly, different driving experience, etc.
Do I need a GT2? hmm...
Do I need a Gallardo?

Anyone catching on?
Old 08-27-2003 | 12:57 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Comparing a depreciated car against a new one never favors new. if you look at the purchase price of your car new 4-yrs ago to a new GT3, the GT3 is better value. besides that, you're still oversimplifying the comparison, the GT3 has an entirely different engine block and body (based on the turbo and c4, it's a lot stiffer).

I saw and heard the Gallardo at Monterey--i wasn't impressed--the car looks too narrow in person and rather small (Toyota Celica-like). The exhaust note was strange as well, kind of hollow. I'd rather take a GT2 in a heartbeat.
Old 08-27-2003 | 03:15 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

I know. New car vs. used car.

And GT3 qualities vs. my 996.

Perhaps I just think that my car + 60k should equal an all new experience.
Old 08-27-2003 | 03:52 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

That's why I passed on the one I ordered. For that kind of money you can keep what you have and get a track car that will make a GT3 look like a turtle...

Roy
Old 08-27-2003 | 04:08 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Actually, at the top of my list was an Elise.

My only hesitation is that I would comprimise my ability to race in PCA club events.

964 track car?

Anyhow. I'm tempted to wait on the 997 for my next daily driver.
Old 08-27-2003 | 07:18 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

P1CR, if you really want a totally new driving experience but don't want to pay $60K extra for the GT3, try this:

1. Do all of the mods you talked about already ($9,100)
2. Buy the updated tail lights & install Litronic ($1,600)
3. Install an aftermarket Aerokit from Anzianos ($3,000)
4. Add a supercharger ($6K installed)

For $19,700 you will have a car that can run circles around the GT3 and look better.

OK, now I'm waiting to be reamed by all the people who are going to say that the GT3 is still better in every way and my idea is stupid.

Old 08-27-2003 | 07:42 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

With the 04 Elise, you will be able to run SCCA or in most other events.

Ryan, I'm not a big fan of supercharging a 996 but given the depreciation on these things, it's an option worth looking at imo!

Roy
Old 08-27-2003 | 07:47 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

The GT3, like everything else from Porsche, is way overpriced; it used to be the case that the good resale values would offset this, but that's no longer true. I speculate the GT3 and GT2 will do much better than any other 996 in there used car market, the same market were modified P-cars don't doo too well...
Old 08-27-2003 | 09:48 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Originally posted by MetalSolid
I speculate the GT3 and GT2 will do much better than any other 996 in there used car market, the same market were modified P-cars don't doo too well...
Right. The RS America is a case in point. it was the 'GT3' of it's day and is highly sought after on the 964 market.
Old 08-28-2003 | 09:17 AM
Fozzy
Instructor

I'd been considering a TT, but happened to test drive a new GT2 when I was dropping my previous 996 in for a service and exchanged it there and then. The difference in driving experience left me with my mouth hanging open. A 'mate' promptly walked me into his garage containing ferrari 355 & ducati, which together with his Jeanneau 37' yacht, totalled less that the car I'd just signed for. B*stard. Just do it - lifes too short
Old 08-28-2003 | 09:32 AM
la993 uk
Advanced

IMHO,

If you're loaded, buy a GT3 and never use it!!! -well occasionally then.

If you're not, then if you have a GT3 as a daily driver then it will depreciated while all the unused garage queens hold their price

If you must have the best then you already KNOW you HAVE to buy the GT3

Why buy an M3 for daily use and then never use your Porsche?
(as somebody said - this is life, not a dress rehearsal)

If you want a second car as a track car only then get a Radical SR3 Turbo
13 secs quicker than the Gemballa GTR600 round the Nurbugring!!!

In summary, while I respect the right of others to cosset and preserve their cars for their own pleasure (and eventual profit). I think you should buy a road car to actually drive it

Luke,
(as usual my opinion is probably wrong).
Old 08-28-2003 | 10:50 AM
KJM3SMG
Racer

my speculation is that people who buy GT3s buy it as their 3rd or 4th car.. so the "I can get 2 cars for 1 GT3" shouldn't apply.

Hell you can get almost 3 quicker cars for price of 1 new 996.. (SVT Cobra, Evo, STi), but would you do it? Does that mean you can buy 9 cars for 1 GT3, or 20 Hyundai Accents?

Point is, you bought the 996 because you wanted it, just like the GT3 if you really want it, buy it. But if the $$ (2 cars for 1) concerns you, then maybe the GT3 isn't for you. Don't jump the $100k gun if you aren't sure.

--------------------
KJ

CARS FORUM
- general car topics

Cars:
2002 BMW M3 SMG - 19", 8000k HIDs, Formula One tints, Naxxos fogs
2000 Porsche Boxster S - B&M short shifter, Naxxos xenons
Old 08-28-2003 | 11:48 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by P1CR
Actually, at the top of my list was an Elise.

My only hesitation is that I would comprimise my ability to race in PCA club events.

964 track car?

Anyhow. I'm tempted to wait on the 997 for my next daily driver.
There is nothing better than a dedicated track car if you are serious about racing or even doing DE's. A street car ( read daily driver) will never be a serious tool for the track. A pure track car is simply very uncomfortable to be driven daily but the rewards on the track justify the expense.
So with that in mind for 60K you can get a hold of a very nice 993 Supercup, race ready and you will be playing with the fast groups. Plus it has the potential of converting to full RSR specs and then you are looking at overall wins ( a bit tought but still doable).
Another serious weapon for D class in PCA is a euro 964RS. These are extremely competitive and if you are a decent driver you are looking at class wins constantly.
Going the road I did which was to convert a street run will be more expensive in the long run, but I did not have 60K to drop at once... If I did the 993 supercup or the 964RS would be at the top of my list.
The US market does not offer many of the cars I mentioned above, but the Euro market has plenty and at much better prices than here.

I have kept my street car "close" to stock and I now have a blast off and on the track.
Good luck!
Old 08-28-2003 | 02:29 PM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

At least start by comparing new vs. new: 2004 C2 outfitted for about $80000 vs. GT3 for $115000.

That's a bit better, isn't it?
Old 08-28-2003 | 02:34 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

That would be a better comparison, if I didnt have the aformentioned 996.

The point is, I already have a decent 996. Do I really want another for an additional $60,000?

993 Supercups are very cool.

However, the prices I see are nearer $90,000 then $60,000.

Quick Reply: ROI on GT3...(I could get two cars like mine for one GT3)