Sponsored by:

FS: 2005 996 GT3 Track Focused with Cup Box - Cross Post

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 01:13 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

^^ Yes, sounds strangely familiar

One difference though is that for me to get a cup, likely from US because that's where they are, it adds $10k - $15 to the purchase price because of taxes, duty and transport, so converting mine is that much more appealing.

I am/was also concerned about resale... but a bit less since last weekend. A friend was racing in Daytona with his 997 cup, but also had his caged 996 GT3 in the stacker. The leader in J-class wrecked his car on Saturday and then offered my friend $75k to buy his 6 GT3 on the spot. Friend turned it down cause he likes his car (you know, it's a 996 GT3 thing ), so all of a sudden, a 996 GT3 race car conversion doesn't seem like such a money pit...
Old 10-28-2014, 03:41 AM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
I am/was also concerned about resale... but a bit less since last weekend. A friend was racing in Daytona with his 997 cup, but also had his caged 996 GT3 in the stacker. The leader in J-class wrecked his car on Saturday and then offered my friend $75k to buy his 6 GT3 on the spot. Friend turned it down cause he likes his car (you know, it's a 996 GT3 thing ), so all of a sudden, a 996 GT3 race car conversion doesn't seem like such a money pit...
Must be nice...hahah
Old 10-28-2014, 11:58 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Doesn't take much convincing.

GLWS or conversion.

I'll be right behind WHEN you convert.

Mk
Old 10-29-2014, 02:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

it's WAY more than $20k to convert your 6gt3 to a race car....
if you only spent $20, trust me, you did it wrong!

if you are thinking $, then sell your car lose yoru shirt then buy a cup, have fun with it. cheapest way. strange but true.

if you enjoy the building process and throwing some money away. then build one. i built 4 cars. all way more $ than cup cars but i enjoyed the journey and learned a lot. i am one of those idiots who can only learn by doing it. like i didn't believe my mom that fire was dangerous so i burnt down our 100,000sf factory when i was 8yo. so now I KNOW fire is dangerous and i am now living within stone's throw of fire station.

figure out why you want to build the car then it will be clear if you strip or buy cup. i have cup and strippers. i dont know which one i like more.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:41 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Cool. I burnt down 5 acres in back yard at age 5 playing with fire. Fire chief almost put me in jail. Lol

So that means I have to strip. Then buy cup too.

Not to hijack.

GLWS. Great deal with lots of track goodies.

Mk
Old 10-29-2014, 10:22 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

^^ Hijack away, it's brought some good info. Plus, this isn't the 'official' for sale thread anyway. And even if it was...

Mooty, lots of experience and wisdom in that last post of yours.

I don't think I'd enjoy the whole building process, I prefer to perfect, starting with a good base-line. And I certainly don't enjoy throwing money away.

I found a full bolt-in cage that I might pick up on the weekend (by no means the final solution). This would allow me to strip the easy stuff over the winter, install net and kill switch, and do a few races next year. I could then later decide whether or not to go all the way. It's an option.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:35 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Another vote to build it. The problem with any early Cup (996 or 997.1) is that they are very likely to become appreciating assets in the coming years. Your GT3 street will never be the same sort of value. If they start going up, they will go up more slowly than Cups.

The point? ANY racecar should be considered something that you are ready, willing and able to write off. Me personally, I'd rather write off a converted street car losing value than a real Cup. But don't mind me. I've got a 997.1 Cup coming my way in the near future. However, I have no plans to race it. I'm buy it to 'just' track it. Still at risk, but at much less risk.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:26 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Matt,

You have an interesting perspective on the value of Cups vs. street GT3s, but I'm not sure I agree with it. First, I don't think Cups will be an appreciating asset anytime soon. There are so many of them that it's likely to be a long time before there's much appreciation to speak of (relative to street GT3s, anyway). And buyers of race cars are more tolerant of racing incidents -- damage and other issues that happen on a track, whereas street car buyers are more picky about cosmetic and mechanical history. In all, if I were concerned about causing damage to a car on the track (and resultant damage to my wallet) I would choose a Cup Car over a modded street car, because it would take a lot more damage cause it to be a "write off." The other side of this is that there's a limited market for race cars; they will always have a smaller market than street cars with a title and hence be more difficult to sell.

Of course, some of this might depend on how much you modify your street car and how reversible the mods are. But still, having the ability to title the car and drive it on the street carries real value in the market.

Francois, this may have nothing to do with your decision to strip your vs. buy a Cup car, but it's worth considering all the angles.

Rob
Old 10-29-2014, 10:24 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Interesting 'debate', but I would tend to agree with Rob more. Then again, Matt has a unique perspective being the insider that he is.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:46 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have the perspective that Matt has in the car biz, but I do have the perspective of owning a significantly modded track/streetable 996 GT3 (slightly stripped), and a 996 GT3 RS race car that I'm restoring. I *wish* that race car values would go up as fast as I'm spending in its restoration, but alas, I'm way ahead of the curve.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:54 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Old 10-29-2014, 11:10 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Who knows what the future holds, but one thing is true: They will never make another street/track car as 'basic' and simple as the 996 GT3, and a similar argument can be made for the 996 cup, with its H-box. Every generation of each gets better, but more complex. There are proponents of each version, just look at the debates about the 991 GT3 and its PDK-only platform.

We've seen nice examples of each sell for surprising amounts in these pages: 996 GT3 garage queens for close to $80k and unicorn 996 cups for close to $100.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,673 Likes on 776 Posts

Keep it, leave it alone and keep driving the **** out of it.
Spend money on wine tires pads etc. Occasional track insurance maybe.

Save yourself from the Mooty and Mikes all bat**** crazy.

If you really must race make it race legal keep ac keep license plate.
Your car is too nice you love it too much. Drive on street with cage like I do with RSA (no Seat belt) PCA race legal and perfect and safe for DE.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:50 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
If you really must race make it race legal keep ac keep license plate.
Your car is too nice you love it too much. Drive on street with cage like I do with RSA (no Seat belt) PCA race legal and perfect and safe for DE.
^^ This is 1 of 3 very real options at the moment as you can see here vv A still "street-legal" race car in the spirit of PCA club racing.

Originally Posted by FFaust
I found a full bolt-in cage that I might pick up on the weekend (by no means the final solution). This would allow me to strip the easy stuff over the winter, install net and kill switch, and do a few races next year. I could then later decide whether or not to go all the way. It's an option.
The other two most likely options right now are 2) full out mod, and 3) well let's just say that there might be something available locally if we can agree on terms... Not teasing, just don't want to jinx it.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:55 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Peter who is FLATOUT ape**** crazy. My car not stripping yet full leather ac.

Peter trakcar. You need to buy this. Then you can pass me in winterfest

Mk

Last edited by mkk62; 10-31-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Quick Reply: FS: 2005 996 GT3 Track Focused with Cup Box - Cross Post