Sponsored by:

Wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 12:42 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by woodstock964gt3
Yes, thank you. The only one I hadn't looked at, the "submission" sub-forum, duh.
Originally Posted by JarmoL
It's a good idea to change at least the rear hubs at some point. Old cars these, many have seen lots of track.
Ask me how I know.. driver side failed this summer. New bearings were installed only a year ago.
How do you know

Seriously, what's the failure mode on these?
Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
My weekend just wasn't meant to be in the GT3. Apparently when all of this carnage happened the axle was compromised as well. I got it all put back together last night, car was running and ready for test drive. Went to put final torque on the axle going in 50lb increments. Impact got it close to 150. 200 was good. 250 good. When I went to put 300 ft/lbs on the axle (340 is spec) the axle broke at the splines where it goes through the hub/ bearing.

Stole my wife's 997 TT and took it instead.
Sorry to hear that Andy; looks like you can't buy a break.

On the plus side, at least it didn't fail on track. Happened to me a few years ago and the collateral damage was expensive.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:39 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust

Sorry to hear that Andy; looks like you can't buy a break.

On the plus side, at least it didn't fail on track. Happened to me a few years ago and the collateral damage was expensive.
One of the first things I thought about was your issue and the video of when it happened at RA.

I know a few people who have suffered axle failures this season and do actually consider it a blessing in disguise that this happened in the setting that it did for me.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:03 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Another thing with half-shafts, check your torques regularly.

Had one come off a month ago: https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...s-correct.html
Old 09-21-2015, 10:13 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

I use Neo for wheelbearings & CV joints

9deg off of horizontal on the halfshaft at static ride height is as much as you want to go

Ray

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearings