Sponsored by:

Midwest Driving Instructors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 01:49 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by CBCJr6
Hi all. I have had my 996 GT3 (2004) for 2 months, it's a beauty too, low miles (7000), showroom condition. I had the coolant pipes pinned and took it to Putnam last weekend. I've tracked a Boxster for a couple of years and loved it. The GT3 was a handful to say the least. Ended up facing the wrong way almost every session. I'd really like to find a driving instructor with some GT3 experience to get some help. Anyone here fit that description and live in the Midwest? The car has me a bit spooked to be honest. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Chuck
Congrats on the great purchase! I too got my GT3 with 7k miles more than a year ago -- approaching 10k now. Also a former Boxster driver here.

Even if you need new tires and alignment, you shouldn't be spinning in every session. Your may need to improve your car control skills instead. Did the Boxster have PSM? Did you get to a level where you were comfortable losing the rear of the Boxster and catching it back, sliding, trail braking?

Since the tires are likely ready to be replaced, you have a great opportunity to finish them off on some empty parking lot or at a skid-pad, preferably accompanied with someone who has better car control skills. The more slippery the tires, the better they are for learning car-control.

I too made the transition from a Boxster to a GT3 and was able to slide it around the track on 4 year old, cycled out Nittos after only couple of laps.

Regardless of the tires and the set-up, when driven close to the limit, GT3's are only a "handful" to the extent that they uncover a driver's lack of car control skills quicker/better than almost any other car.

Last edited by hf1; 08-01-2014 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:47 PM
CBCJr6
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey HF1 thanks!

My Boxster is a '99 so no PSM. I was very comfortable driving it quite hard at the same track. Not doubting that I have lots to learn but looking at the traqmate date, gopro video and thinking it through, the spins mostly happened under power and just past the apex of the corner after 4 to 6 laps. I also was getting some ABS action and breaking the front inside tire loose on occasion, not really even braking as hard as in my boxster.

Probably most telling, the last 2 numbers on the DOT code are 03! 11 year old tires. I'm not taking those things anywhere at speed again.

All makes me think that the tires just weren't up to the task anymore. We will see, new tires and an alignment next week!!

Thanks again, you all are a great resource.

Chuck
Old 08-01-2014, 01:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Probably most telling, the last 2 numbers on the DOT code are 03! 11 year old tires.
The NHL is calling, they want their rubber back.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:50 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey HF1 thanks!

My Boxster is a '99 so no PSM. I was very comfortable driving it quite hard at the same track. Not doubting that I have lots to learn but looking at the traqmate date, gopro video and thinking it through, the spins mostly happened under power and just past the apex of the corner after 4 to 6 laps. I also was getting some ABS action and breaking the front inside tire loose on occasion, not really even braking as hard as in my boxster.

Probably most telling, the last 2 numbers on the DOT code are 03! 11 year old tires. I'm not taking those things anywhere at speed again.

All makes me think that the tires just weren't up to the task anymore. We will see, new tires and an alignment next week!!

Thanks again, you all are a great resource.

Chuck
what were your lap times? assuming the tires in question are Pilot sport 2's?
Old 08-01-2014, 03:26 PM
CBCJr6
AutoX

Yes PS2's
Lap Times 1:27.4 at best, mostly 1:29's on the dry track. I was that fast in my stock Boxster on FIRESTONE street tires..... Only got 4 track days out of those....
Old 08-01-2014, 03:32 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Just a thought, check the date on the sidewalls of the tires. Given that the car is new to you, but only has 7000 mi on the odometer and is showroom condition, I'd be willing to bet that you are on 10 year old tires which would be as hard as hockey pucks by now.
Good call! Tires are the only thing touching the ground and based on the OP description of where he was losing grip, this is probably the biggest factor.

As a side note, the Carrera GT that crashed with Paul Walker a few months had the OEM tires that were 11 years old. Sheriff's investigation said that speed and old tires (lack of grip) were the contributing factors. Glad the only thing that happened were spins and a bruised ego, but I'm guessing with new tires, you'll be just fine.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:11 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Yes PS2's
Lap Times 1:27.4 at best, mostly 1:29's on the dry track. I was that fast in my stock Boxster on FIRESTONE street tires..... Only got 4 track days out of those....
Unfortunately at Putnam no tires are going to last, that surface is just very very hard on tires. So much so I only go there once or twice a year. I can get 2-3 times the life out of my tires at Mid Ohio.

Confidence is everything with the GT3. Without it you will be off the pace. Get the alignment stuff sorted, get some fresh tires and hopefully it becomes predictable to where you gain confidence in the car and can work on getting quicker instead or worrying about spinning.

On a PS2 or The like the 1:20 mark would be a lofty but achievable target.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:15 PM
CBCJr6
AutoX

Thanks for all the encouragement. I may get up to Ginger Man next weekend if I can get the tires and alignment done this week. Hopefully I can build some confidence again.

Chuck
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2014, 05:20 PM
hf1
Banned

Great pic! Get a roll-bar, bucket seats, harness, and HANS.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:16 AM
CBCJr6
AutoX

Just got off the phone with my shop. He says the tires were pretty shot (showing chord on the left rear inside and a chunk out of the right rear), the alignment wasn't drastically off but they put more of a "track" alignment on the car with the new MSPcup tires. New brake pads more suitable for track use as well. His opinion is that the tires were the big problem.

He says the diff is completely loose and needs a rebuild which can be done anytime if I decide to keep the car.

Taking the car to Ginger Man this weekend for a DE, we'll see how it goes....
Old 08-07-2014, 11:33 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Cups like low pressure and ALOT of heat to work.

I'd target 32/34 hot if they get above 36 hot they get greasy.

the harder you drive them and the more heat you put in them the better they work. They take a good 2 full laps to come up to temp so take your time and wait for them to warm up.

When they are right they are the stickiest treaded tire out there. They will heat cycle out and get hard before they cord.

If air temp is below 60 be careful they can be scary. Great summer time tire, just be careful in the cold.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:31 PM
CBCJr6
AutoX

Thanks Andy for the recommendations I really appreciate it!!

The shop also softened the front and rear roll bars a bit. Front is now on the middle setting and rear is one from softest. I'm looking forward to testing the new changes Saturday!

CHuck
Old 08-12-2014, 03:33 PM
CBCJr6
AutoX

Just a last quick update on this old thread...

With Pilot Sport Cup tires, softened roll bars, track alignment and PFC brake pads the car was joy to drive last weekend. No swapping ends this time!! I think the tires were probably the main problem. Aside from having to bleed the brakes it was a trouble free track day. Love those.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help!

Old 08-12-2014, 06:06 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Just a thought.... had the brakes been bled before or was this original brake fluid from 2004? I've never had to bleed my brakes at the track in a GT3 before. Did you get a long pedal?
Old 08-12-2014, 06:14 PM
hf1
Banned

Glad everything got sorted out. What a nice and safe track with great rhythm. A lot of sweeping turns and infinite run-off space everywhere. Great for getting used to a new car. Have fun!

Quick Reply: Midwest Driving Instructors?