Sponsored by:

Midwest Driving Instructors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 02:14 PM
CBCJr6
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Midwest Driving Instructors?

Hi all. I have had my 996 GT3 (2004) for 2 months, it's a beauty too, low miles (7000), showroom condition. I had the coolant pipes pinned and took it to Putnam last weekend. I've tracked a Boxster for a couple of years and loved it. The GT3 was a handful to say the least. Ended up facing the wrong way almost every session. I'd really like to find a driving instructor with some GT3 experience to get some help. Anyone here fit that description and live in the Midwest? The car has me a bit spooked to be honest. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Chuck
Old 07-29-2014, 02:32 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Hi Chuck~

TurboCup87 and AudiOn19s both have them. Also, Veloce Raptor is a great instructor. You may want to post this in the racing forum - most of the instructors hang out there. Don't forget you are used to driving a mid engine car and these are not.

Good Luck and HAVE A BLAST
Old 07-29-2014, 02:53 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Have you joined the PCA? We have a ton of great tracks and instructors in the Chicago Region. Many competent GT3 drivers/instructors.

Our club will be running at Road America during the entire Labor Day weekend. Including club racing. This is an experienced DE event.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:11 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I'd love to help if I can. There are a rash of Mid Ohio events I plan on doing the end of the year. The next one is the club race in September but it's not an "instructed" DE..that said if you have experience to get in there's nothing stopping me from jumping in the car with you to help out. I'll get you a full list of events hope to make it to and maybe we can hook up.

Secondly, lets make sure you have all the tools to success. The GT3, particularly the 996, can be quite a handful if it's not properly setup. There may very well NOT be a ton we need to change with your driving style if the car isn't right to begin with.

Have you had the alignment checked / set? If yes, what are the values?
Where are your sway bars set?
Do you have aftermarket rear toe arms and locking plates?

Finally, if it makes you feel any better, when I was at Putnam last month the track was awefully slick, the balance of my car was quite a bit different than at other tracks I frequent. I like a car with some oversteer in it but I was chasing the rear of my car much more than I would have liked to in many instances and one of my good friends who is an extremely talented drive even managed a spin in a car he's VERY comfortable with.

A point of clarification, I think there are club level instructors available to help you along the way but as Karen mentioned there are also Pro Coaches like VR around these parts that are highly talented when it comes to molding drivers.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:06 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
The GT3, particularly the 996, can be quite a handful if it's not properly setup.

This.

Best advice you can get right now for a GT3 that is new to you. Before it is even taken to the track, you need a before and after set of values on alignment. These cars are NOT a handful if setup properly AND respected. There is no reason to have multiple spins in one event.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:27 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by CBCJr6
Hi all. I have had my 996 GT3 (2004) for 2 months, it's a beauty too, low miles (7000), showroom condition. I had the coolant pipes pinned and took it to Putnam last weekend. I've tracked a Boxster for a couple of years and loved it. The GT3 was a handful to say the least. Ended up facing the wrong way almost every session. I'd really like to find a driving instructor with some GT3 experience to get some help. Anyone here fit that description and live in the Midwest? The car has me a bit spooked to be honest. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Chuck
Just a thought, check the date on the sidewalls of the tires. Given that the car is new to you, but only has 7000 mi on the odometer and is showroom condition, I'd be willing to bet that you are on 10 year old tires which would be as hard as hockey pucks by now.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:29 PM
CBCJr6
AutoX

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. I am a PCA member. Sometimes seems my region is more about wine and cheese than driving Porsche's but I have done one PCA DE. Usually I go do 1010th's Motorsport's DE's. I like the atmosphere and there's always more track time available than I want. I'm scheduled to go again at Putnam Sept 20, 21st.

I would be happy to hire a professional to help me get this car going the right way. I actually have a fair amount of on-track experience. (Russell Racing school techniques of racing and Advanced techniques of racing schools, a regional karting championship years ago, and a few other things) and I think proper instruction is worth whatever it costs. (Never quite figured that out with golf however....)

Lastly, I have not had the alignment checked, it is stock and likely exactly as it left the factory unless I "adjusted" it doing double axels out of the corners last weekend! I think both front and rear roll bars are on the center settings, although I'm not sure. No aftermarket parts at this point except the pins in the coolant lines. I'm open to suggestions. I sort of doubt the dealership is going to be much help with proper alignment (they had no clue on the coolant lines) but there is a shop here I think I could work with.

I'll also be getting some new tires, I don't really know how old the ones on the car are, and after the weekend it dawned on me that they are probably the original tires.... 2004. Wish I had thought of that a month ago!

Thanks again for all the interest!
Chuck
Old 07-29-2014, 06:40 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome aboard Chuck. Now post some pics!

ps. my bet is on the alignment. Key is finding a competent race shop that knows PORSCHE setup.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:49 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

In addition to getting the alignment properly set up, your LSD is likely no longer functioning. This makes the car unstable under braking, hence easier to spin. Search for LSD Buster thread.

I'm doing the MOR/CIR event at Putnam Oct 18-19. Maybe see you there.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:46 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by CBCJr6

I'll also be getting some new tires, I don't really know how old the ones on the car are, and after the weekend it dawned on me that they are probably the original tires.... 2004. Wish I had thought of that a month ago!

Thanks again for all the interest!
Chuck
Check the tires - I believe the date is on them.

WELCOME TO RENNLIST
Old 07-30-2014, 11:06 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase.
Like others stated; tires and/or alignment.
The GT3 is know for getting out of alignment very quickly so don't bank on it being correct and probably need a check and adjustment.
After marked toe links with locking plates is something you may consider.
The other big improvements in handling and preventing the car from spining is to install a competition LSD as the factory LSD is weak and wear out quickly.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:34 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
Congratulations on your purchase.
Like others stated; tires and/or alignment.
The GT3 is know for getting out of alignment very quickly so don't bank on it being correct and probably need a check and adjustment.
After marked toe links with locking plates is something you may consider.
The other big improvements in handling and preventing the car from spining is to install a competition LSD as the factory LSD is weak and wear out quickly.
54k miles on stock LSD and it doesn't spin or PUSH which a high lock LSD is famous for. Alignment is key and rear toe in is VERY important.

Peter
Old 07-30-2014, 10:22 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Like others have said, a the likely culprit is tires and alignment. If they are original tires I would highly bet that is the major cause. With the low mileage probably not LSD.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:38 PM
CBCJr6
AutoX

Smile

I think I have found the guy to help, at least with the set-up.

PCA DE instructor, 911 racer and 35 years with P-cars. Conveniently he has a shop, the same one that pinned the coolant lines for me. I talked with him and he thinks tires and alignment may be an issue (in addition to my driving). He recommends Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires and a track alignment in addition to more track-oriented brake pads. His opinion after my description of the problem was that it was unlikely to be the LSD.

Thanks again for all the interest, I look forward to updating the progress here and posting some entertaining Go-Pro video of last weekend...

Does anyone have any traqmate session data from Putnam they'd care to share with me? Might be helpful to see what all you hot-shoe's do around the track!

Chuck
Old 08-01-2014, 01:10 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

As noted above and knowing you're not a novice driver - you should consider the Road America event over labor day. There should be instructors there who drive/race GT3's and Cup cars. They can tell you allot about your car's limits and - in my case - I had an instructor take my car for a few laps to check the set up. Mine needed adjustments that I couldn't feel at the level I was driving. We made some changes to the bars and I was surprised at how much better the car felt for me as a driver. You'll start with the car properly corner balanced but the fine tuning for your taste may take someone who knows how to tweak the car in response to your personal preferences for how you drive now.

I like the Pilot sport Cup - but when I was learning my car I wanted something that talks a bit more. I find the PSC is fairly silent to the limit. Problem is you don't get much chance to gather the car in if you exceed the limit. I found Yokohamas are not as sticky, but they are noisier. They will squeal at you before they let loose. Not as cool or fast, but they let me know when I'm off line. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Midwest Driving Instructors?