TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a great track - the best!
Old 06-10-2014, 04:24 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Curt, Shay, and I have had fun playing at various tracks over the last few years. Here's a video from my 996 GT3 of Curt in his car during one lap at the Ridge last summer. Our 996 cars are similarly set up and we tend to turn similar times, so it's fun to observe each other's strengths and style by trading off leading and following. I was also fortunate enough to trade cars with him for a few laps there -- Curt in my 996 GT3 and I in his beautiful 2011 GT3 RS. It was a great experience. Neither of us drove full tilt, but I would agree with his comments -- especially about the 3.8 RS being faster because of more power and favorable gearing. It's probably worth 2 to 3 seconds per lap right out of the box. But was it more "fun?" I'd say it was *different* fun -- equivalently pleasurable but with a slightly different feel. I felt that the 997.2 was more confidence inspiring and that it would be "easier" to extract a faster lap in it. But I felt a little more involvement in my 996, though that may be because of the mods that were done to my car, which make it pretty raw, and the fact that I am willing to push it further. I would be thrilled to have a 997.2 GT3 RS, but given that I can't afford one, I'm quite content to have the 996 GT3.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:43 PM
ex10psi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm cracking 1:50 at the ridge in my 996 gt3 stripper. come on people, speed up. mooty, get your *** up here.

hi rob, i sold the stripper, so sad.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:52 AM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts

Both you guys should show me how to drive.

- curt
Old 06-21-2014, 12:25 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by curtsm
Both you guys should show me how to drive.

- curt
Great to see this post Curt! I was out last Sat @ the Ridge with Turn 2. Sorry I missed you and Shay. You both are such class acts and lovely to see a couple enjoying this hobby with such passion. Hope to see you both at PR or Ridge soon.

My fondest track memory is still sitting in your black 6 GT3 in the heavy rain going downhill and backwards at speed into 3A at Pacific! I remember you calmly telling me you were going to try and turn us around. then you masterfully executed a perfect 180 on track and kept going. Serious car control skills!
Old 06-21-2014, 09:47 AM
curtsm
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTHO
Great to see this post Curt! I was out last Sat @ the Ridge with Turn 2. Sorry I missed you and Shay. You both are such class acts and lovely to see a couple enjoying this hobby with such passion. Hope to see you both at PR or Ridge soon.
Ah, thanks for the kind words! We're not going to be at the track in the next couple of weeks, we went to the 24h of Le Mans and have to get back to work:

Le Mans 2014

My fondest track memory is still sitting in your black 6 GT3 in the heavy rain going downhill and backwards at speed into 3A at Pacific! I remember you calmly telling me you were going to try and turn us around. then you masterfully executed a perfect 180 on track and kept going. Serious car control skills!
... I also feel there was some serious luck during that moment.

The Pacific Raceways Wiki has a picture of my car at the day just after our spin. Here's what DE days sometimes look like in June in the Seattle area:

BMW Club Day June 2005

- curt

Quick Reply: Track day at The Ridge