Sponsored by:

Front Steel Replacement Rotor advice for track

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 02:12 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 371 Posts
Default Front Steel Replacement Rotor advice for track

So my car should be back from the shop in next couple days with coolant pipe fix, new clutch and flywheel, etc...

While the car was at the shop I ened up taking my 996 turbo to the track (Inde Motorsports Ranch) and had a really good time. It was my first track day so I learned a lot, including that I really don't know squat about driving these cars at even 8/10ths!

Anyway, there is no question I'm going to want to do a few DE's per year with the gt3. However, it has first gen pccb's, which I understand don't hold up all that well under heavy track use. I don't want to risk damaging them, since I love them for the street, so I started researching replacement options for a steel conversion that I would use just for track use. I'm told that for DE duty replacing the fronts is all that is really required, and that I can continue to run the pccb's in the rear since the rears see so much less action.

The question I have is about rotors. I understand there are a number of really cool two-piece units out there, but I'm trying not to break the bank since I will be using these rotors just for the occassional DE/autocross/PCA track day (and I've already dropped a ton on this car with the engine out work that is almost done).

I don't care much about longevity or weight...just need them to work. I'm thinking about going with the cayenne s 350 slotted rotors that can be viewed at this link (I don't want drilled since I feel like there is an increased risk of cracks with a "budget" cross drillled rotor):

http://brakeperformance.com/brake-ro...ake-Rotors.php

At 176 a pair, it seems like a no brainer. Sure, they will be heavy, and I know some don't like the fact that the slots extend to the edge of the rotor, but the price is right. I would use a pagid or other track-specific pad. What do you guys think? Will this rotor work without issue for the front of my gt3? Anything I'm overlooking in selecting a rotor like this?

Any adivce would be great!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:30 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Just use the pccb. If you're doing ~6 days a year, you'll be able to use them for 10 years or so.

Yes, some people run through the rotors. However, those people do 30+ days per year and much more advanced than you are.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:32 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Also, getting your car packed, teched, and to the track is a big enough challenge as it is. No sense in adding a rotor swap/pad change to the mix for what is basically no difference.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 397 Posts

993gt is selling a full setup of pccb brakes rotors etc from his 6gt2 for cheap if you want backups
Old 10-23-2013, 04:14 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I just put those rotors on my 6-3' but I have the steel brake standard option. I will have my first track weekend with them this weekend, I will let you know how they perform. I was running solid Cayenne S rotors but they got hot air build up once in a while (soft pedal feel). Hope these will improve. As you said, for less than $200, I will monitor and change out before crack reaches the edge.
Replacing the rear with the cross drilled from the same vendor after this track weekend.

Don't know of benefits by replacing the pccb
Old 10-23-2013, 04:38 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for the advice. So the brake performance slotted rotors should fit ok?

I agree that there is a very good chance, given my skill level, that I could put many, many track days on the pccb's without a problem. I am as "novice" as you can get, but I will say that my instructor last weekend clearly was not, and holy crap was he driving the car! Most of my upcoming d.e.'s will see an instructor behind the wheel at some point, so the assumption that the car is not going to see expert "hard" driving is not accurate.

For an investment of a couple hundred bucks and 1.5 hours before each track event, I could virtually guaranty long life for my pccb's (which my ppi revealed to have a lot of life left). Buying a back up set of pccb rotors is not my preference because I'm trying to save some money, not spend a bunch for back-ups that are equally prone to damage if tracked.

tgavem, I look forward to your feedback!
Old 10-23-2013, 04:49 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I've been running them for a while. A couple sets. Maybe 3. I know I've ran both the black and silver slotted. They are fine. A little heavy but they work. And cheap. Only on the front though. I typically just run oem on the rear.

They won't make you slower. Or faster.

-td

Tg - I hope to see you out this weekend!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:08 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 344 Posts

Thanks for the 'bump' Danny
And Scott, if you are interested in a nice back-up set of PCCB's let me know, we can work a good deal out for you
Cheers,
Rob

Originally Posted by Turbodan
993gt is selling a full setup of pccb brakes rotors etc from his 6gt2 for cheap if you want backups
Old 10-23-2013, 07:14 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

The Cayenne 350mm rotors dont align with the little set screws so get the spring tool and alignment pin from here, link below. Easy after the first change out.
Zip tie and tape the pad sensors to the solid part of the brakeline so you dont have to worry about those.

http://pkvista.com/TraqJunk/Index.html

Also get this
Lisle 25750 Dual Piston Brake Caliper Compressor : Amazon.com : Automotive Lisle 25750 Dual Piston Brake Caliper Compressor : Amazon.com : Automotive

Tom:
yes, Stephen (Rovman) and I will both be at MSR this weekend.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:51 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like tgavem has e solution for you. If you every decide to step up a notch look At the PFC floating brakes they are simply put great. Now you just swap pads if you want for street or use a set of PFC 01 pads for the street and track. You can put those expensive porsche brakes into storage where most of us have ours and reinstall if you sell. Just my two cents worth sir. Have a thread here on saving a garage queen if you want a bunch of information and now a new motor build as well
Old 10-24-2013, 02:06 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Ok, so I ordered the slotted brake performance discs. Any recommendations for a budget track pad for a beginner? Did not realize how expensive some of the pagid/pfc stuff is for this application! Again, not looking for extreme max performance, and durability is not a huge concern since I'm not going to be doing too many track days per year, but if I can avoid paying several hundred just for a pair of track pads that would be awesome! Any suggestinos or just bite the bullet and go with one of the pagid/pfc offerings?
Old 10-24-2013, 02:47 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Brakes are a safety item don't skimp on pads. Use a good brake fluid like castrol srf. I've ran pagid rs-19 all around with deman slotted fronts and oem rears(last forever-not much rear bias on the 6- some run rs-14 pads for more bias in the rear) with srf- never an issue. Mike
Old 10-24-2013, 03:34 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Get PFC pads. 06 or 08. They don't need to be bedded and will last you forever. I ran Pagid for years and switched off of them for the better. Some people still swear by them, but PFC has been great to me and I won't switch back without a good reason. [also, PFC can be run to the backing plate, Pagid needs to be swapped with 1/3 of the pad still left...] Keep in mind that you have a system that you are working with. Upgrading to aggressive pads and running street tires may not be the best combination. You'll hit ABS a lot. Your fluid needs to be part of the equation as well. Pads, rotors, fluid, brake cooling and tires. Get a set that works together.

-td
Old 10-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts

Run PF08 front and rear. Fantastic wear, don't kill the rotors and are not very noisy on the street if you don't feel like changing them. Also put either Motul 600 or Castrol SRF brake fluid in when you put on the pads and rotors.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:01 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Run PF08 front and rear.
+1

Also need to get these.
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKGT3FRS.html
Front breaks cooling ducts, make sure you have them. Will help pad and rotor longivity and performance.

Quick Reply: Front Steel Replacement Rotor advice for track