Sponsored by:

Yet Another Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 12:04 PM
lakid042
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet Another Tire Thread

OK so I've re-read all of my subscribed tire threads and am still stuck on what to do. My shop just called to advise that my rear PS2s (factory size) only have enough tread to get through the next two days of HPDE (this weekend) and I will absolutely need new rear tires before my final track event of the year in two weeks.

As background, I've only had my 6GT3 for three months (my first 911) and expect to do 5-6 HPDE days/year (currently Intermediate level) plus another 4-6 autocross events. That being said, the car still spends 80% of its time on the street.

With that as a backdrop, I'm hesitant to buy a set of rear PS2s. If sticking with pure sreet tires, I would realy like to move to the AD08/AD08R. Can I run these in the rear until I wear out the front PS2s and then have matching brands? Any real downside?

Also, given the above, does it make sense for me to make the leap NOW to NT01s or wait until (1) I get used to driving the car on track; and (2) become a much better driver?

TIA!
Old 10-11-2013, 12:10 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

In general, mixing brand / compound is not recommended. Depends on how much tires are left at the front. If there's still a lot, then you might want to go through another set of PS2 rear. Otherwise, go for AD08.

I drive my NT-01 on the street but I hardly put any miles on them, other than to and back from driving events.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:31 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 462 Posts

Depends on your expectations. As cfjan said mixing tires is not a good idea. The AD08 on the rear are much better than the PS2 and you are going to add to your understeer. My vote is AD08 or the AD08R if the rear 295 is available when the PS2's are gone. I believe the delta between the AD08R and the NT01 is very small and the AD08R is going to be much better in the wet.

Peter
Old 10-11-2013, 12:54 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I really really like NT-01's but they are a horrible street tire. They are noisy (you'll think you need new wheel bearings they make soo much noise) and no good in the wet. I can't wait to put my PS2's back on the car when I get home from track days

Jumping to an NT-01 won't hurt your progression as a driver, they slide around just like a street tire does, however they are ultimately not that much faster than the latest and greatest street tires either.

I corded my Nitto's a couple weeks ago at the track and put my PS2's on and was within 1.4 seconds of my times on nitto's so I'm guessing the delta vs. supersports or AD08's or the like is probably less than a second on a 90 second lap.

Nitto's back on the car this weekend though. The one thing they have going for them is they last forever and they are CHEAP! $1100 shipped for the set.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:04 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

AD08's all the way. The R's have a great review by Tor but I have not run them.

I have AD08's, NT01's and R6's

All are good but for different purposes. I did them in that order too.

Quick Reply: Yet Another Tire Thread