Sponsored by:

Fun time chasing a 997.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 10:05 PM
ti-jean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fun time chasing a 997.2 GT3

Had a great time chasing this 997.2 GT3 around Chuckwalla last week. I have to say... it felt pretty good to finally get the point-by I like to think it's because of my outstanding driving.... but I know better! It was an unfair battle... I was on R-comp (NT01) and the 997.2 GT3 was on street tires (Pilot Super Sport).

It's always more fun with a "carrot" to chase...

Enjoy!

Old 10-08-2013, 11:03 PM
oldskews4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good driving! Maybe work on your downshift timing, sounded a bit off.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:31 AM
ti-jean
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldskews4
Good driving! Maybe work on your downshift timing, sounded a bit off.
I hear you on the downshift... I've been trying to work on that but clearly need more work! I just started tracking this car a few months back and my other track car is an M3 with DCT, so not much practice with heel-toe downshift yet.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:02 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 460 Likes on 299 Posts

Nice video... thanks! I'll be at Chuckwalla in a couple weeks, so every vid is much appreciated!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:51 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

you look good, that looks like a fun track too.

Your sideways moments (most of them on entry) appear to be happening while you're still trailing off the brakes yes? What's your rear alignment specs you might be able to tame the rear down just a bit. Otherwise killing a touch more speed early and maintenance throttle just a hair sooner will also get rid of those moments without sacrificing lap times. You did a good job of catching it with the gas though.

Don't beat yourself up over tires either. You earned that pass. The latest crop of sticky street tires are right on pace with Nitto's. I had to switch from Nitto's to Pilot Sport PS2's with a 2008 date code on them last weekend at the track and I was within 1.4 seconds on the same day on my old street tires as I was on my Nitto's.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

jean

brk earlier, turn, gas earlier then less sideways
Old 10-09-2013, 01:51 PM
452gt3
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Jean we missed you at WSIR, glad to see you are still having fun with the car. Video looked good I found with the stock gearing leaving it in 3rd the entire lap produced the fastest lap times, a little boring but still fun.

Mike
Old 10-09-2013, 03:14 PM
ti-jean
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Nice video... thanks! I'll be at Chuckwalla in a couple weeks, so every vid is much appreciated!
Looks like you're from San Diego like me... hope to see you at the track! I'm going to miss out the PCA SD Chuckwalla week-end unfortunately

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
you look good, that looks like a fun track too.

Your sideways moments (most of them on entry) appear to be happening while you're still trailing off the brakes yes? What's your rear alignment specs you might be able to tame the rear down just a bit. Otherwise killing a touch more speed early and maintenance throttle just a hair sooner will also get rid of those moments without sacrificing lap times. You did a good job of catching it with the gas though.

Don't beat yourself up over tires either. You earned that pass. The latest crop of sticky street tires are right on pace with Nitto's. I had to switch from Nitto's to Pilot Sport PS2's with a 2008 date code on them last weekend at the track and I was within 1.4 seconds on the same day on my old street tires as I was on my Nitto's.
Thanks for the great comments! I watched the video again and you're right, most oversteer moments were while still trail-braking. I have the rear sway bar full stiff, I'll back-off one hole and see how it feels. Interesting comments about the time difference between PS2 and NT01. I would have expected much bigger difference. I feel better now

Originally Posted by mooty
jean

brk earlier, turn, gas earlier then less sideways
Working on this... I have to stop driving this car like a BMW and start driving it like a Porsche!

Originally Posted by 452gt3
Jean we missed you at WSIR, glad to see you are still having fun with the car. Video looked good I found with the stock gearing leaving it in 3rd the entire lap produced the fastest lap times, a little boring but still fun.

Mike
I tried 3rd gear around the track also, but as you said felt a bit boring. Plus, I need to work on my heel-toe downshifting. PCA SD events timing are not working that good for me right now

Quick Reply: Fun time chasing a 997.2 GT3