Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitter Rivets

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013 | 04:16 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Default Splitter Rivets

I have acquired splitter rivets in two varieties. PET calls for 11 of "999.507.427.40" however the splitter has a total of 15 mounting holes. The other part number (20) doesn't show up in the diagram associated with part numbers.
I'm assuming its "999.507.497.40" which I acquired from TRG via Porsche Motor Sports when I purchased 2 CUP splitters as insurance.

What I'd like to know is where the "4" odd rivets are placed on a stock splitter?

I've attached the parts and the PET illustration.

Thanks.
Attached Images   
Old 07-18-2013 | 06:32 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Those screw in rivets are just as crappy as the push type. I go with ease I do all 15 in push type. Also screw type ain't easy to screw in unless u jack car up. Just my 2 cents. Make sure there's no gap between splitter and bumper because at track speeds it may just fly off. Most if not all use double-sided tape for street/track(more cosmetic) but I use racer tape and do 3 roll vertical(only for track it's kinda ugly). Works really well on smaller lawn mowing. Some put permanent screws to splitter and bumper but damage may occur ie stripping the holes on the bumper or worse. Mike
Old 07-18-2013 | 06:39 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

I hear you on the "screw type". The CUP pieces are superior imho. Probably use them but for future reference I'd like to know exactly went where. Double sided tape for sure.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-18-2013 | 07:01 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

If I had to guess where the screw type goes in its the center(there's 3 holes so middle is push type the outer is screw type) and one screw type on each corner. That's where I would put it. Or same 2 screws on center and other 2 at the ends of the splitter such that if splitter does release at the front maybe still be held by the two ends but don't think so- it will fly off - hahaha. Mike
Old 07-18-2013 | 09:36 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

There was a thread on this forum where someone detailed how to mount the splitter using rubber expansion nuts. Everybody who tried it and posted on the thread was pleased with the result, including me. I inadvertently tested the breakaway properties of these expansion nuts when driving up a steep curb that snagged my cup splitter. It pulled out a few of the rubber nuts with zero damage to the bumper or any of the mounting holes. Apart from that incident, the expansion nuts hold the splitter on very securely. I also run a strip of black Gorilla tape around the splitter to cover up the crack between splitter and bumper. It keeps all the air flow under the splitter, as intended.
Old 07-18-2013 | 10:01 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

I used all push in types as that is what TRG supplied with the Cup splitter. Used 3M double sided tape in front of the pin locations all way around. Used a hockey puck to push the pin in all the way all around. Seemed nice and secure. First track day on Lightning, I went out in White (Adv Solo here) for the first run to learn the car...A Boxster spun in front of me in T5 (hump turn) and I drove it full off to stay out of it... no issues with the splitter thankfully so the tape/pins worked well FWIW.
Old 07-18-2013 | 10:59 PM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
If I had to guess where the screw type goes in its the center(there's 3 holes so middle is push type the outer is screw type) and one screw type on each corner. That's where I would put it. Or same 2 screws on center and other 2 at the ends of the splitter such that if splitter does release at the front maybe still be held by the two ends but don't think so- it will fly off - hahaha. Mike
I really hate it when you reply. Still getting used to the "Avatar" at the bottom of your post.

I don't think I will.

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2013 | 12:24 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

^ rt back at ya!!! : ). Changed it for ya. Mike
Old 07-19-2013 | 01:28 AM
cchan
Rennlist Member

I went to the dealer parts counter recently to pick up some extra rivets as I was going to replace the double stick tape on mine. They said that the screw type replaced the old push rivets. I wound up reusing most of the push rivets, so I just spread the screw types around as I don't think they'll really make much difference where they are located.
Get the "red" super strength 3M/Scotch double stick tape for automotive moldings or exterior that's made of black foam or rubber, not the white stuff.
Old 07-19-2013 | 01:43 AM
edgy
Banned

This is very useful & relevant to me this thread .. also where is a good source to get a cup splitter and the rivets? needs to ship to AU.

Cheers
Old 07-19-2013 | 08:46 AM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
^ rt back at ya!!! : ). Changed it for ya. Mike

Change is good.
Old 07-19-2013 | 08:49 AM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by edgy
This is very useful & relevant to me this thread .. also where is a good source to get a cup splitter and the rivets? needs to ship to AU.

Cheers
I've been satisfied with TRG. These rivets are pretty stout in comparison to the screw type. Don't worry with the Back-Order status shown on the page. They can get them in a day as Porsche Motor Sports is close.

http://store.trgparts.com/categories...olkitScripts=1
Old 07-19-2013 | 09:22 AM
edgy
Banned

Originally Posted by sithot
I've been satisfied with TRG. These rivets are pretty stout in comparison to the screw type. Don't worry with the Back-Order status shown on the page. They can get them in a day as Porsche Motor Sports is close.

http://store.trgparts.com/categories...olkitScripts=1
Thanks for that! Hopefully shipping doesn't kill me!

Cheers
Old 07-19-2013 | 03:28 PM
gman3280
Pro

Originally Posted by sithot
I really hate it when you reply. Still getting used to the "Avatar" at the bottom of your post.

I don't think I will.

Thanks!
Me too! OMG
Old 07-19-2013 | 04:42 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbirch
There was a thread on this forum where someone detailed how to mount the splitter using rubber expansion nuts. Everybody who tried it and posted on the thread was pleased with the result, including me...
I've used them all, to incl the TRG-supplied rivets. Nothing works better than these expansion nuts, and 3M VRB tape.

Quick Reply: Splitter Rivets