Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 pulls to the right under acceleration...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 11:21 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Same thing happened when I bought my GT3 second hand. Dealer found a blown shock.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:42 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 759 Likes on 377 Posts

Oops, forgot to update. Turns out there was a screw in the tire and it damaged the belt, so I guess it affected the performance of it. Got another tire and all is now good!

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 07-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That's bizarre. Did the screw puncture the tire such that you were losing air in it (and the different air pressures side to side caused the handling problem)? If not, I can't imagine how a screw could do enough damage to a belt to have this effect. I suppose you don't have the tire anymore, nor perhaps any interest in pursuing it further, but it would be interesting to see a radiograph of the affected area to see how broad it was. I would think that a screw into the belt package would affect only a very localized area and would not have such a profound effect on the handling absent some other condition, such as reduced pressure in that tire. I wonder if there was actually something else wrong with that tire that didn't get diagnosed. Oh well, if a new tire fixed the problem, that's all that really matters.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:50 PM
Burger
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

That type of radial pull is more commonly the result of hitting a pothole and damaging the steel belts, but I guess it could be possible to get similar results from a screw. It's just not as likely a scenario.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
Oops, forgot to update. Turns out there was a screw in the tire and it damaged the belt, so I guess it affected the performance of it. Got another tire and all is now good!
Are you trying to say you got screwed?
Old 07-24-2013, 10:58 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 759 Likes on 377 Posts

I can't say that the screw caused the bad belt, and probably just a coincidence. What's weird is that this happened with the set of tires that were on the car when we got it...though it pulled left that time... And the tires were old. Basically what I'm told is that when the belt deforms or separates, it can have the effect of increasing the diameter of the tire. This one side is "bigger" than the other. So under acceleration, the LSD 'thinks' one wheel is spinning faster than the other and tries to compensate..:r at least that's what was explained to me. Either way, a new tire fixed it.

Quick Reply: GT3 pulls to the right under acceleration...thoughts?