Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 pulls to the right under acceleration...thoughts?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:00 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a milder version of this problem with my GT3. The car was freshly aligned and balanced, took it out for a test drive and it "twisted" under power and pulled to one side. It was diagnosed as sway bar preload.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
Problem is, this just started a couple weeks ago. been fine until then.

And now that I say the 700 miles, it's more. took a trip last month up to the Tail of the Dragon and put over 500 miles just that day on it. Ran perfect. Wife started noticing that the car felt funny and thought the alignment was off. I took it over to get it checked, and it's all the same as before.

And when I say pulls, I mean hard. Step hard on the gas and it will change lanes. Let off and it straightens out. Again, I thought it was an alignment issue thinking it was just tracking all over the place, only until I really paid attention did I notice is was when you touch the throttle.

I'll get it on a lift next week (Leaving for Mid Ohio Club Race tomorrow night) and see if anything is loose or broken.
Definitely check all your suspension nuts and bolts...

On my old 996, I had a nut that worked loose over time (rear lower control arm to upright), and the ball joint pin didn't break free from the upright until I hit a bump in the road. After that, my car experienced similar symptoms, as there was nearly a half inch of play at that connection under various loading conditions.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Definitely check all your suspension nuts and bolts...

On my old 996, I had a nut that worked loose over time (rear lower control arm to upright), and the ball joint pin didn't break free from the upright until I hit a bump in the road. After that, my car experienced similar symptoms, as there was nearly a half inch of play at that connection under various loading conditions.
Another good piece of advice. Several times a year I have our master tech at the dealer do a complete nut and bolt of the car. About 2-3 hours of labor and he prints out about a dozen pages listing all the bolts and lists what they were torqued to and what he tightened them to. Worth every penny.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:36 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

^your master tech must see a few nuts loose on clients I presume : )? He must charge more rt? Mike
Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Haha, not counting me of course. Since having kids, they all seem to be loose and banging around in my head.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:26 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

My daighter is 18. Most of drama gone not all of it though. She has a bf- bawahhhh!!! Mike
Old 07-04-2013, 11:14 AM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the same issue before I had Bilstein refurbish the dampers/shocks. I had two of the dampers seeping oil, and the car was all over the place under hard throttle/braking.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:29 AM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Are the rear tires the exact same spec ?

I had to replace the corsas on the rear of my 575. OOS everywhere and had to use one N spec and one normal.

Exhibited the same systems
Old 07-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Wayne K
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about bad motor or transaxle mounts.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:03 AM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

This happened to me at the track when I "lost" the rubber on the inside of my tire. It was an older set of tires and an entire ring of rubber failed around the tire (in one piece). The tire held air but the different resultant diameter resulted in the car pulling to one side during acceleration.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:05 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy quick test, swap your rear wheels from side to side and see if the pull follows the tires. If so, you know it is the tires. If not, check the alignment and finally the diff. Even if the diff clutches start to go, it won't just pull to a side under acceleration.

I had a similar problem on the my GT3 and we found my new rear tires at the time were mismatched. Both the same tire size, tread pattern, approximate MFG date and N rating. One had a different a different load rating. Getting it swapped with one with the same load rating fixed the problem. It would pull one direction under acceleration and the other under braking.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:10 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LVDell
Have you swapped right side (F&R) to left side to see if it still does the same thing. Had it happen to me with brand new tires and the it turned out one rear was a defective tire. If you swap and replicate the to the other side, tires would be the culprit. If not, then I would probably narrow it to either toe change (only a few places on the toe arm to fail) or LSD shot.
Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Easy quick test, swap your rear wheels from side to side and see if the pull follows the tires. If so, you know it is the tires. If not, check the alignment and finally the diff. Even if the diff clutches start to go, it won't just pull to a side under acceleration.

I had a similar problem on the my GT3 and we found my new rear tires at the time were mismatched. Both the same tire size, tread pattern, approximate MFG date and N rating. One had a different a different load rating. Getting it swapped with one with the same load rating fixed the problem. It would pull one direction under acceleration and the other under braking.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:42 PM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3

+1
Old 07-15-2013, 12:49 PM
jpeytonii
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
I'll swap tires R&L next week and get it on the lift to see if there are any worn/loose fittings/bushings. We'll check bearings too, but I'm pretty sure they're fine - no noise or braking anomalies..

<<Loading up the race car and heading for Mid Ohio later today...
Bob - any discoveries yet on your issue?

BTW - I recently installed your old front PS2s with a set of new rears. The tires are great! Thanks again.

Cheers

Jim
Old 07-15-2013, 01:59 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

if you have stock bushings in rear suspension arms - undo them all and check for play. one of reasons I run all solid steel joints/mounts on my car is to have easy visual control of all joints.

one of reasons when your car goes in straight line with no load it means you may have some dynamic changes in rear axle under load. either toe changes or some mounts move. good thing - it is very easy to take this suspension apart, just do not forget to use Loctite when you put it back together and use red paint/nailpolish to mark positions of all nuts and bolts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 pulls to the right under acceleration...thoughts?