Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All parts are a go!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:52 AM
911S4
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally got around to installing the Numeric Cables after a month with the new shifter. The install took a few hours, most of which involved fiddling with the rubber chassis grommet. I took the old grommet off of the stock cables by slicing it length wise on both places where its affixed to the cables so it could be utilized on the install of the new cables. Since the Numeric cables are a larger diameter I also had to drill out the two holes larger to accommodate the diameter of new cables also.

First order of business is to remove two plastic under trays, the one going front to back covering the large coolant lines running the length of the car, and the rear most cover for in front of the gearbox. From there remove the metal transmission support bracket from the chassis to gain access to the through hole where the cables enter the interior from the underside of the chassis. Inside the car (I had the center console removed already) so I proceeded to remove the four nuts for the emergency brake, and lay it behind the seats with the cables still attached.

From there, climb back under the car and you can bend back the tabs that hold the stock cables to the gearbox and detach the cables. Back inside the car, detach the cables from the shifter and slide them out of the car from underneath. Installation was a snap with the exception of trying to get the 3" x 2" rubber chassis grommet back in place. Some silicone lube and elbow grease finally did the trick to get things back in place. Without this important rubber grommet installed I am afraid that moisture can enter the cabin and excessive noise will be heard while driving, and since I do drive the 6Gt3 on the street occasionally, I wanted to play it safe,a and ensure everything was where it should be from the factory. Adjustment of the cables was simple and took all of 5 minutes as there is plenty of room for adjustment, but on both ends of the cables they are basically as tight as they can be adjusted for the best feel.

The cables definitely add another level of precision, and with the windows up you can hear the faint sounds of what a cup car sounds like from the whine of the gearbox. Its not obtrusive to me as its only very prevalent at RPM's above 4500K, but I like the sound personally. I also have semi-solid transmission carrier mounts and motor mounts installed.

I just returned from Road America last night and can say that the car is completely transformed. I have the Numeric Shifter Linkage set on the bottom hole or longest throw so its a bit shorter than the factory 6GT3 throw. Last year I would sometimes grind second gear on very hard braking and downshift corners (Turn 5 and 14 at RA) but this is completely gone now and I am very pleased with the results and rifle bolt feel of the shifter. Very confident now shifting up and down through the gears and no more sloppy feel to the car.

All in all well worth the expense and time it took me to install the Numeric Shifter and Numeric Cables. Now that I have done it once, I am sure I could manage an install very quickly if I had to do it over again.

Last edited by 911S4; 07-18-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Mike in CO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
I wouldn't mind hearing more about the difference between the Numeric cable vs. the Cup cable. For the shifter, it is quite obviously what's the difference, but the cable is harder to understand.

I believe when it was originally posted, it was mentioned that some part of the cable design was to reduce the noise compared to the Cup cable and some plastic parts were used (correct me if I am wrong), so I'd like to hear more about that and see what's the trade off.
Would Numeric provide any answers to the questions above?
Old 07-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 222 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in NJ
Would Numeric provide any answers to the questions above?
Absolutely! Most important is pricing. Numeric cables vs. OE cup cables have a significant price difference. Another would be the stainless steel connectors. The connectors have a nut/screw assembly providing a solid connection to each mount reducing the chance of excess cable movement or flex. OE cup cables just slide into place with no security. If you have an OEM shifter (plastic) it will surely move over time. With our connectors you have the ability to adjust and secure connection points as needed.

The noise form any performance cable is going to be great. The stronger the connection the more noise and vibration your going to feel and hear. The plastic coupler inserts reduce these effects by providing a buffer between the contacts. It will not remove all the noise but it will take away a great deal of it!

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223

Last edited by Numeric Racing; 07-18-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:42 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Where is this "plastic coupler inserts" that you are talking about? Is there a way for you to post a picture and point it out?! Thanks!!
Old 07-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Where is this "plastic coupler inserts" that you are talking about? Is there a way for you to post a picture and point it out?! Thanks!!

Old 07-18-2013, 05:26 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the clarification. How does the Cup cable handle this connection? Metal to metal?

Do you feel the connection is less secured due to this addition of plastic insert?
Old 07-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the clarification. How does the Cup cable handle this connection? Metal to metal?

Do you feel the connection is less secured due to this addition of plastic insert?
I find it to be even more secure. Not only does the inserts snap into place on the ball ends, we machined a groove inside the couplers to seat with the retainer ring located on the outside of the inserts. After a coupler insert is placed on the end of the ball following the connection of the two points the insert expands into the groove completely locking it into place. The connection is extremely secure!

Take a look.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:08 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Nice, thanks for the detailed explanation... !
Old 11-20-2013, 05:13 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Black Friday Sale!
Old 11-20-2013, 08:43 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I haven't researched this but I figure this may be the proper place to ask...

Are Numeric shifters compatible with OEM Cup cables?
Old 11-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DHI
I haven't researched this but I figure this may be the proper place to ask...

Are Numeric shifters compatible with OEM Cup cables?
Absolutely, 100%!
Old 11-29-2013, 07:28 PM
vr4henry
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM me a price for shifter+cable combo?
Old 12-31-2013, 11:02 AM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

End of the year clearance 10% off everything. today only!!!

Quick Reply: All parts are a go!