New splitter for 996 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Joe Toth
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New splitter for 996 GT3

Hi folks,
I'm working on another new splitter for 996 GT3 and would appreciate some input. What I am doing is making a two piece splitter, one section will attach to the car in the standard way the cup and my splitter does now. The second piece with the splitter blade will the attach to what I will call the base. The attachment will be with either dzus or the plastic fasteners used currently to install the splitter to the bumper.
The plan is to have the splitter drop down 1-1/2" to 2" from the bottom of the bumper at the center front, less at the sides as this portion of the bumper is lower. This drop will also be adjustable in how much the splitter can be lowered. This would give a degree of custom fit for vehicles with different ride hieghts. Currently I have the blade portion of the splitter extending out 3-1/2" at the front and 2" at the sides.
The picture might provide a better idea of what I am working on. The flanges for the drop are excessivley large at the moment as I need excess for trimming. Please keep in mind this is a pattern in the early stages of development. A lot of excess material still needs to be trimmed off.

Any thoughts on dimensions for the blade and the amount of drop from the bumper would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited by Joe Toth; 09-21-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:22 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Thank-you for doing this Joe.
I look forward to offering you my patronage as I am currently building track only stripper.

Assuming that most customers for something like this already have a lowered car...
Anything lower than a cup splitter makes it a hassle to load onto a trailer even with longer ramps. The blade would have to be very easily demountable at the risk of making car prep a bigger hassle than it is worth.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:53 AM
Joe Toth
Instructor

That is why the splitter portion will be easily removable. The portion remaining on the car will only be about an inch down. the detachable splitter will then be as low as you require. I think six very easy and quick fasteners will make the install simple. You can get the car on a trailer and then run a splitter as low as you want.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:30 AM
kurtkrum
Instructor

Subscribed. This is an idea whose time has come...
Old 05-27-2013, 08:48 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Joe, I'd definitely be interested in the removable version!
Old 05-27-2013, 01:20 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bgiere
Joe, I'd definitely be interested in the removable version!
Me too
Old 05-27-2013, 01:35 PM
Joe Toth
Instructor

Would someone be so kind as to put a tape measure to their car at the center of the front bumper. Please let me know if the blade at 3-1/2" would extend too far forward. Thank you
Old 05-27-2013, 02:11 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I think that 2" forward of a rubber cup splitter would be fine/enough. But that is not in relationship to the bumper itself, if that is what you mean.

One thing to consider is the mounting to the tub/structure. With the additional leverage, it has to be strong.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Boostin
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am all about an option like this. My car is at 102mm ride height in the front and I have already destroyed one of your splitters and am well on my way to destroying the second. I can just make it on to my trailer now since I have some long ramps but a "removable" splitter with would be so nice for making it into one of my garages that I can't even attempt to get into now. My suggestion would be Dzus or similar attachment mechanism over the factory plastic rivets as I just don't think they are strong enough. I have been contemplating putting nutserts into my bumper so I can use "thumb bolts" to install my current splitter (ie your fiberglass one). That way I could just reach under and unscrew it relatively easily / quickly.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Joe Toth
Instructor

Boostin, That's good for me I can sell replacement splitters (kidding). That's the reason I am working on this piece so it will make it easier and less problems or damage.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:49 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Joe, let me know when you have them available...very interested in having one.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:26 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Joe, use Dzus fasteners please My Car is at home now so if you need me to take any additional measurements let me know.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Joe Toth
Instructor

Cavlino, Please take a look and measure if 3-1/2" for the splitter blade width would extend too far forward. Yes probably dzus but the plastic rivets would be an option for apppearance (all black) to match the finish.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:41 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joe Toth
Cavlino, Please take a look and measure if 3-1/2" for the splitter blade width would extend too far forward. Yes probably dzus but the plastic rivets would be an option for apppearance (all black) to match the finish.
As long as they are easy to take on and off, my plan would be to not have the splitter blade on unless I am at the track. I will do that measurement for you later today.
/Carm
Old 05-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Joe Toth
Instructor

Those were my thoughts exactly. Part of the design consideration was the part which will remain on the car look similar to the factory cup splitter.

Quick Reply: New splitter for 996 GT3