Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirping noise from transmission / flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 12:41 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Guru. Good to know. Guess will wait til need new clutch to open and see. Everything else outside was changed.

Did my personal best chirping and all last month!

I did also get that Charles d custom exhaust siocan't hear much else anyway.

Mike
Old 05-06-2013, 09:07 AM
loworbitsi
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Completed 20+ autox runs on Saturday, my wife knocked 20+ more out. Then 200+ mile drive home. No changes in the noise, no leaks. Guess it's here to stay.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:49 AM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Motor Mounts???
Old 05-06-2013, 11:52 AM
loworbitsi
Rennlist Member

The noise is coming from the heart of the rotating flywheel / clutch assembly. The mounts aren't near there, but a good thought! Thanks!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:24 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Glad to hear all is well. Had a tremendous day with the Audi Club on Fri at Pocono and the noise still there. One of these days...
Old 05-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 52 Posts

I've now got the exact same noise after having the RMS replaced at the same time as major service, noted on report as "fit older style but much higher quality item in place". Started roughly a day or so after pick up from shop. Does not change with engine rpm, not noticeable at speed (hard to tell) but stopped at lights or slow enough for noise to bounce back at you it's definitely a continuous "chirp".

I'm guessing people are taking it as just one of those GT3 things?
Old 05-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Charles@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have seen and heard this noise before. It is NORMALLY because the extra scavenge stage in the GT3 oil pump will usually pull a vacuum in the crankcase as the RPMS begin to rise. At idle or very low speed, on a solid, sealed engine, with almost 0 leak down, ringseal is perfect so there is almost no blow by. The OEM GT3 rear main seal, the PTFE one, is installed backwards as to seal against the crankshaft when the crankcase is at less than atmospheric pressure, so it does not leak. On a GT3 engine at idle, where the rings are not fully seated or there is slight blow by, the seal can have a slow "weap" or leak a little bit as the positive crankcase pressure then can cause gasses to escape out, and thus the easy point of exit is that rear seal

I have seen many rear main seals installed incorrectly, or not with the OEM tools to do so, and i have heard this noise, or had the seals leak. I myself have probably fixed 4-5 alone. I would always make sure the OEM tools are used, and taking ones time to do so. If the RMS gets installed ever so crooked then it will leak or have a slight air leak and make a chirp or whinning noise which is air moving by the seal lip. Most people installing the seal by hand have to push it on the end of the crank sideways a little, or crooked somewhat to get the seal lip over the edge. this will damage the seal and i would never want to use it after this.

Older boxsters have a similar issue from the front crank seal with the old style air oil separator. The noise will get loud enough where you want to put ear plugs in.

Just my experience here, from what i have seen, as i do get a few of these from time to time.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks for the post snickers. My tech guy is a well respected GT expert and done many seals so hoping this is not the case but everything is a possibility.

In your experience, if there is no additional oil leak, is this actually a problem or can I live with it until next gearbox/ engine drop?
Old 05-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Charles@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

At the end of the day, the "noise" is an air leak by the seal, so for the most part its "ok" to leave it as is until the next time the trans comes out.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:45 PM
ninerguru
Racer

Reviving this thread... OK here it goes: I dropped my engine to do the coolant pipe repair https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...-fittings.html ...

I also have been suffering from the chirping noise after an RMS replacement. One of the things I wanted to check while the engine was out, was trying to determine the noise emanating from the bell housing area...

I have not separated the trans yet, but here's what I found...There is a cupped washer between the TO bearing and the clutch face. The manual indicates that it cupped side goes away from the TO bearing tabs, applying pressure against the clutch fingers.

I have a picture from an engine tear down that shows the washer in the correct position. Look at washer at the top left, applying pressure on clutch fingers...

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 2346
Size:  100.7 KB

Now, take a look at my two pictures... Do you think the washer is facing the wrong way (cup side away from clutch fingers?) If so, it might be turning and making the chirping noise. Does it look like the washer is rubbing?

Name:  CIMG1912.JPG
Views: 2248
Size:  519.0 KB

Name:  CIMG1913.JPG
Views: 2276
Size:  520.3 KB

I will not know for sure until I separate the trans. But it would explain why the are no bad symptoms and our cars continue to operate normally except for the noise.

What do you think?
Old 11-11-2013, 08:57 PM
loworbitsi
Rennlist Member

Does it change in pitch when the RPMs rise and fall? Mine doesn't. It chirps along at the same cadence until the exhaust note drones it out. That washer thing is pretty interesting.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:23 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

My memory is a little fuzzy around that washer with the fingers BUT I believe that unless installed correctly those components won't stay together at all. I also remeber it was a bitch to assemble that portion, it was a two man (well my wife helped) job.

I could be wrong though.

Oh, and Aaron's car has the chirp but still has stock clutch and stock flywheel. No need to even disassemble those components when they changed his rear main. The throw forks probably remained attached to the PP the whole time.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:19 PM
ninerguru
Racer

I got a new TO bearing so I know they separated the assembly... I will follow up once I get things apart... Lou
Old 11-12-2013, 10:23 AM
loworbitsi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
The throw forks probably remained attached to the PP the whole time.
Yes, I removed the pressure plate and flywheel, and never popped off the throw out bearing. It didn't have any unusual play so it was slapped back in.

It was only after utilizing the turbo RMS that the chirping started. The GT3 RMS leaked (3rd one). The 4th was swapped for the turbo version, and I believe it's "burping" out crank case pressure.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:28 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Revival. Friend had rms changed on a 7-3. Developed Chirping noise. Apparently there is a Teflon coated vs non Teflon piece that sits under seal? Anyhow he's going to email parts of first and second rms. after second rms (new one is gt3 rms. last one 996 turbo rms) CHIRPING WENT AWAY.!! I still have my chirping since rms changed. Car running fine. 30 track days. Won't bother changing until next major overhaul. My chirping is not from t o bearing. It was changed. No change with rpm. Exact as video in thread Will update when I get part numbers Mk

Quick Reply: Chirping noise from transmission / flywheel