Good price for a 02 GT2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
I was offering a difference of opinion, not arguing your points...
Cheers,
Sorry...these are great cars! I agree with you!

I would love to get my 996GT2 back. I have a lot of great memories here. Awesome car. And one heck of a lot of car!

I do love the White a lot. I really hope that it turns out to be a great car for the buyer.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vr4henry
/thread hijack

It's rare to find anyone who can make such a direct comparison!! OK so, having personally gone from a 996TT --> 996GT2 and seeing the differences... how would you describe the difference on track for the 997GT2? It's probably the only car I'd be willing to get rid of my .6GT2 for. Prices have been holding fast the last year or so from what I can tell, though.
IMHO (my opinion I don't want to offend anyone again...)...
To answer your question as an average/decent driver...I had the privilage of owning both GT2 cars together for 3.5'sh years and my comparison is from my car to my car and both were 100% stock. The 997GT2 is a much more refined car, it is a stiffer body (mine is caged the 6GT2 was not), a bit quieter, not as explosive when boost comes on, under the boost as the VTGs work smoother, less lag, if you leave the electronics "on" you will get some "aid", clutch pedals is lighter, shifting is more direct. The 996GT2 was an animal (I mean that in a good way ). The boost would come on hard and you needed to be ready and know how to drive it...I have had an easier time driving the 997GT2 vs. the 996GT2... ( The 996TT was a cadillac compared to the 6GT2 way more forgiving, softer, and quieter...)

I know that some of you are great drivers, so when you master the 996GT2 you will probably have an easier time in most other cars that I am faimilar with...I never did.

As far as reliability the 6GT2 did not give me one issue -- nothing, but the 7GT2 needs a clutch now at 7K or 8K miles?! (I would very much like to get my 6GT2 back...)
Old 04-22-2013, 11:51 PM
speef
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Igooz
I put 18,000 miles on my '03 and never had a problem. I paid $193K+/- and sold it to a friend for $85K ('12) and he has simply parked it for a year now. I will buy it back...

Check the LSD...

If I may ask, how are you going to use this car? The clutch is extremely stiff, you will hear a lot of tire noise inside, you will hear every body/interior squeak, as fas as DE or tracking the GT2 there are better cars.... Just wondering.... yeah it is a GT2, but...
Right on man... I owned mine for just over 2 years, really liked the car but I found my (modded) 996tt to be more usable at about half the price... most of which I got back when I sold it... make sure you drive on before you buy one, they are not for everybody... enjoy either way ! These are class 1 problems to have, let's not forget that...
Old 04-22-2013, 11:54 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 348 Posts

Sorry...these are great cars! I agree with you!

I would love to get my 996GT2 back. I have a lot of great memories here. Awesome car. And one heck of a lot of car!

I do love the White a lot. I really hope that it turns out to be a great car for the buyer.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:44 PM
vr4henry
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that some of you are great drivers, so when you master the 996GT2 you will probably have an easier time in most other cars that I am faimilar with...I never did.

As far as reliability the 6GT2 did not give me one issue -- nothing, but the 7GT2 needs a clutch now at 7K or 8K miles?! (I would very much like to get my 6GT2 back...)
Thank you for the comparison -- I consider myself an average driver at best as well. It sounds like I won't be switching to a 997GT2 unless I can keep both
Old 04-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AP328
What is going on with the poor join between the front bumper and the lower front edge of the driver's side front fender. Something doesn't look right.
GOOD EYES!!! There is a gap around the driver's side headlamp on the edge fender and the front facia.

Originally Posted by 993GT
:Please let me know on your clutch decision and how it works out...I will be doing the same...
Old 04-24-2013, 12:37 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 348 Posts

will do, current Spec clutch is a PIA but will update if I decide to keep if it gets 'better' or if upgrade to something else, car just started a misfire today so will be doing coils and plugs in next couple days before anymore seat time
Old 04-25-2013, 01:08 AM
dubyaTT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How cool is that?!

A white GT2 is a unicorn for sure.

Looks like new/newer PCCBs.

An evaluation in person is in order for sure.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:21 AM
SoCalDan
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 71 Posts

Guys,
I called CEC and spoke to Matt about the car. He was very helpful and answered all of my questions to the best of his knowledge. According to him this is a 2nd owner car with very little to no track time. The roll bar was installed by the owner to please the wife's concerns over safety (his words not mine). He moved on to a 997 GT2. Car has receipts for all service records, however I'm not sure what records have been completed. I have yet to see it in person, but it is sitting in their show room, so it must be very clean.

I've actually been tossing around the idea of possibly selling my '04 GT3 for this car, as I've always wanted a white GT2. But it took me two years to find my GT3 with all the options I wanted and it's really dialed in, so it would be a shame to start all over again.

I wish I had't seen the for sale link!
Old 04-25-2013, 10:33 AM
pezza
Racer

Might be worth checking out the date of manufacture on the pilot sport tyres fitted, they look like a mix of N0 front and N1 rear versions to me, current pilot sports fitted to my 6-GT2 last week are N4.

Owners manual states clearly not to use anything over 6 years old on the car and to run metal dust caps, which I have been told is due to the heat generated under "spirited track driving".

This is the only car that I have ever taken the time to read the owners manual fully, also suggests pulling away in 2nd gear?

I'd encourage anyone who has a GT2 to take the time and have a look, lots of interesting things in there.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:09 PM
SoCalDan
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 71 Posts

Pezza, you have good eyes!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:04 PM
pezza
Racer

Those good eyes may well end up saving the OP over $1500 if he gets a new set of tyres in the deal, don't ask me how important good tyres are on a GT2, after removing the 10 year old original tyres from my car, that had a good 6mm of tread on them still there is a noticeable difference. :-)
Old 04-26-2013, 06:13 AM
P_collector
Burning Brakes

IMHO (my opinion I don't want to offend anyone again...)...
To answer your question as an average/decent driver...I had the privilage of owning both GT2 cars together for 3.5'sh years and my comparison is from my car to my car and both were 100% stock. The 997GT2 is a much more refined car, it is a stiffer body (mine is caged the 6GT2 was not), a bit quieter, not as explosive when boost comes on, under the boost as the VTGs work smoother, less lag, if you leave the electronics "on" you will get some "aid", clutch pedals is lighter, shifting is more direct. The 996GT2 was an animal (I mean that in a good way ). The boost would come on hard and you needed to be ready and know how to drive it...I have had an easier time driving the 997GT2 vs. the 996GT2... ( The 996TT was a cadillac compared to the 6GT2 way more forgiving, softer, and quieter...)

Hi Igooz,

thanks for your words..hey the 996 GT2 is the 996 "to have". Thougt about it too..but then went for a 2008 GT2 in white - like yours

My avatar picture should be familiar to you..

Is yours also a CS? Nice to have two 2008 GT2 CS in white here....mine is however currently in car wrapping with basalt black metallic..

all the best,
Old 04-26-2013, 07:09 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 59 Posts

Also owning a 996 GT2, I can add that it is a really great car that you can use both on the street and the odd track day. They are somewhat animal - that's part of the attraction. I don't think it is a car for poor drivers (throttle modulation is needed and this car will help you learn it), tired drivers, drivers who have had a beer or two, or angry drivers. It's a car to respect.

It also for me respects being pushed. Ie the harder I go the more it says back to me 'cool lets go play and play hard'. It's amazing. It goes so hard.

I strongly suggest a good alignment and corner weight upon purchase. The suspension is more factory adjustable than even the gt3 - set it up right and its truly fantastic.

Buy it, respect it, push it and enjoy it.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:10 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche.collector
Hi Igooz,

thanks for your words..hey the 996 GT2 is the 996 "to have". Thougt about it too..but then went for a 2008 GT2 in white - like yours

My avatar picture should be familiar to you..

Is yours also a CS? Nice to have two 2008 GT2 CS in white here....mine is however currently in car wrapping with basalt black metallic..

all the best,
I agree! The 996 GT2 is the best 996, and one heck of an awesome car! It is as hairy chested as I have ever experienced and where ever you go it gets respect! Let's see who buys this White 996GT2 as they are rare, in fact, I have never seen one in real life...I first saw a silver one and that is color etched in my mind. Mine was black, but I think that would prefer Silver or White.

Your avator is familiar, but your engine looks way cleaner than mine!

At the risk of sounding stupid...what is a CS? I have a US spec'd car.

Quick Reply: Good price for a 02 GT2?