Sponsored by:

How does rear caster affect handling

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:31 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How does rear caster affect handling

Hi, I'm in the middle of a minor refresh of my car all around and have got some rss suspension mounts. My query is about the adjustable castor pucks on the rear suspension. How is this best set? I was told by one guy to set it to what is basically maximum caster as in the picture below
Attachment 721059

Does anyone have any experience of setting up the rear suspension with this kind of puck set up and how does running it like in the photo affect how the car rides both on track and street?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Neil
Old 04-18-2013, 10:30 AM
jpeytonii
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, caster is only applicable to a steered wheel - so a front wheel in the case of traditional cars. Your attachment is not working (at least for me) so I am at a loss as to what you are asking about. Can you clarify?

Cheers

Originally Posted by GT2rainge
Hi, I'm in the middle of a minor refresh of my car all around and have got some rss suspension mounts. My query is about the adjustable castor pucks on the rear suspension. How is this best set? I was told by one guy to set it to what is basically maximum caster as in the picture below
Attachment 721059

Does anyone have any experience of setting up the rear suspension with this kind of puck set up and how does running it like in the photo affect how the car rides both on track and street?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Neil
Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 AM
GT2rainge
Racer

Hi, sorry about the attachment not working.
Hopefully this will work.

Last edited by GT2rainge; 08-01-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:16 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

changing the rear caster angle must surely have effect on anti-squat geometry
Old 04-18-2013, 03:19 PM
jpeytonii
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, now that I can see what you are looking at... As I originally stated caster is normally associated with a steering axle, but here you are talking about changing the suspension pivot axis relative to a vertical axis - so largely the same thing. Based on what I know of front caster changing the rear caster will affect the dynamic camber and possibly toe.

That being said I have no idea for settings. Does RSS have any recommendations or do you have a race shop you are working with?

Cheers
Old 04-18-2013, 05:32 PM
GT2rainge
Racer

Hi, thanks for your reply. The supplier whom I got the rss parts informed me that that's the way he fits these when he does it. He said it aids stability but I just wanted opinions of anyone who has fitted these and how they set them upa nd how it works for them.
My main worry is how it affects changes to camber and toe as the suspension travels, and whether its a benefit or not for track work(my main use of the car for the future).
I will be setting the alignment myself with help,at a local shop with a hunter system.
Cheers

Quick Reply: How does rear caster affect handling