Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a 996 GT3 from a non-Porsche dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:27 PM
ti-jean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy a 996 GT3 from a non-Porsche dealership?

I'm new here and considering buying a 996 GT3 for track duty. This would replace the E90 M3 I'm currently using for track use (would keep it for street). I'm finding out rather quickly that it's hard to find a good 996 GT3 at the moment. They seem to sell before I even notice them!

I have a PPI going for a 996 GT3 I located out of state from a non-Porsche dealership. I'm wondering what the collective wisdom of existing owners here thinks about going forward with this (assuming PPI comes back clean)? I keep asking myself the following question: Why would a nice 996 GT3 end up in a used car lot of some random low-end dealership (apparently a trade-in from what I'm told)?

Your thoughts are welcome.

Ti-jean
Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

You must look out for yourself regardless of who is selling the car.

If the car is too far away from you to have a convenient 'first look' consider having a local Porsche Club of America or Rennlist member have a 'first look'.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:46 AM
ti-jean
Instructor

Originally Posted by enthusiast
You must look out for yourself regardless of who is selling the car.

If the car is too far away from you to have a convenient 'first look' consider having a local Porsche Club of America or Rennlist member have a 'first look'.

Didn't think of that but if I find a willing member that would be great

Not sure how to reach out to PCA members in the area but if anybody here is in the Dallas area and willing to go to Carrollton (location of the car) that would be awesome. Obviously, I'd find a way to return the favor.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:52 AM
Tony.CO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add Content
Old 04-13-2013, 10:06 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Need to add much more info if you want the help. Location of both YOU and the CAR, link to car, etc..

By the way, I usually buy my cars from a RL'er (private party) or a dealer that has CPO'd the car. Buying from a non-Porsche dealer just doesn't sit well with me as many time they pick them up at auction to put an exotic on their lot to drive traffic in. They will know NOTHING about the history of the car.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:22 PM
ti-jean
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tony.CO
Add Content
Originally Posted by LVDell
Need to add much more info if you want the help. Location of both YOU and the CAR, link to car, etc..

My Location: San Diego, CA
Car Location: Ford Grapevine (Dallas area)
Car: 2005 Porsche GT3 Guard Red with 25,526 miles (VIN WP0AC29955S692082)
Options and modifications: some factory options but I don't care much about that and no aftermarket.
Link to car: Not sure I can post link, so simply google "Ford Grapevine", should come up on top. It's their only pre-owned Porsche. Plenty of photos on their web site.

Comments: Carfax list 4 previous owners but looks like 3 to me. First owner drove ~2500 miles in 2 year. Second owner drove it more putting ~18,000 miles in 3 years and finally last owner put ~5,000 miles in last 3 years. Carfax looks clean except for a repair early in the car's life where the engine had to be taken off for repair (8/5/2005 with <2,300 miles).

PPI is currently done at RAC performance (formerly RUF Auto Centre) in Carrollton.

I tried to get some info on previous owners use of the car, maintenance records, etc. It's pretty much impossible. At this point, I'm going by the PPI result and hopefully from some advise from the group here.

Funny and relevant story: Car broke down on it's way to PPI... not a good start. They first took the car to the wrong location and when they tried to start it again to bring it to the correct location, something broke in the ignition. Car had to be towed to PPI location (RAC Performance). According to RAC, its not a big issue and common on these cars... is this making any sense to people here. They said to not worry about this if the PPI comes clean. Car is being repaired first and then PPI can happen on Monday.

Don't want to make this post too long, but for those looking for a good laugh... keep reading.

Ridiculous story: In trying to get some details about the car while talking to the dealership, I asked if the car had previously been tracked (apparently a trade-in so pushing to get some info from previous owner). Now, keep in mind this is a Ford dealership and they probably know nothing about the car but still I'm pushing just to see what I can get... he eventually gets a bit impatient and tells me that the car could not possibly have been tracked since the car comes with only 1 key I almost burst laughing but keep myself together and ask for some explanation. His very convincing explanation is that the car would need a second key to "unleash" the power to make it suitable for track use. Since the car has no such key, then no way it ever saw a racetrack!!! My answer: "OK, I'm convince, let's move on..."
Old 04-13-2013, 01:34 PM
ti-jean
Instructor

Originally Posted by LVDell
By the way, I usually buy my cars from a RL'er (private party) or a dealer that has CPO'd the car. Buying from a non-Porsche dealer just doesn't sit well with me as many time they pick them up at auction to put an exotic on their lot to drive traffic in. They will know NOTHING about the history of the car.
I hear you on this and would much prefer go that route. I just don't see how. The CPO'd car at a dealership is out as there are no 996 GT3 at any Porsche dealership that I know of. I would love to buy from a RL'er (private party) but seems like nothing is out there at the moment. I just started looking this past month and all the ones that I saw got taken right away.

There is one that came up last week at a local indy shop that I sometime go to. I went the very next day and it was already at PPI with a deposit. That would have been perfect. In fact, I think that car (2004 silver GT3) was purchased by someone here from the WA area.

Just yesterday, I went to see a beautiful 2007 997 GT3 in white from a local private party. Beautiful car and all maintenance records on hand, etc. That would be great except that I don't see why I should pay 20-25K more for a car that I will essentially just use on track. The 996 GT3 will do just fine for me if I can find one.

Ideally, I find a car with some basic track mods done: Euro seats, roll bar and harnesses. This would be the best solution for me if it comes up. Otherwise, I may go with the red one in Texas based on the result of the PPI and maybe some locals checking it out.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:44 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't think there are ANY cpo'd 6GT3's anymore as most, if not all, have exceeded the 8 year CPO rule.

Your best bet is the ones offered for sale here from time to time by respected RL members.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:43 PM
chakka
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

I would also call Porsche NA. They would be able to give general information and any issue's or recalls that may have been performed. Carfax is only helpful if the dealerships report to them. You'll see some online with a lot of detail and others with barely anything. A reputable Porsche dealership would be the best option for a full inspection(compression, leak down, as well as paint check for accidents).
Always a little edgy buying from a non-enthusiast or non-Porsche dealership. They really don't know(and your story confirms that) what they have. I've even gone as far to send an oil sample to Black Stone to get another confirmation of the engines condition. It is a risk on older cars like this. My opinion is like others, be diligent and patient(as i'm doing) and buy one that has a noted history and sometimes a warranty. You need to be confident in your purchase of a $50k+ car..
Old 04-13-2013, 04:31 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Looking at autotrader I see the red u mentioned but there are 2 others I do see another red one from smith/Volvo Mitsubishi in San Luis opisbo,ca similar miles and a private owner sale a yellow one with 25k miles with some track mods in morgan hill ca. Mike
Old 04-13-2013, 04:47 PM
ti-jean
Instructor

Originally Posted by 996FLT6:10382975
Looking at autotrader I see the red u mentioned but there are 2 others I do see another red one from smith/Volvo Mitsubishi in San Luis opisbo,ca similar miles and a private owner sale a yellow one with 25k miles with some track mods in morgan hill ca. Mike
The one at Smith/Volvo is overpriced so would need them to come down 10% in price and still same problem, no history on the car and from non-Porsche dealership, simply closer.

The yellow one, I like. I tried to contact the seller last week but no response so far. I'm assuming it sold... but who knows... if he gets back to me, I'm going to be all over that one.

Thanks for taking the time to look for me and posting the info, much appreciated.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:55 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I looked at the carfax that the dealership in san luis obispo- looks like it started in ny/Vermont/fl and now ca. It kinda shows general info with transaction/service and one part where motor had to be dropped for repair but nothing specific what was repaired. Anything with leaks like rms/fms u pretty much have to drop motor which is no big deal. But maybe it was something more ie collision yada yada. Mike
Old 04-13-2013, 08:25 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if RAC approves it is good to go. Do not trust any dealer or car FAX without PPI for all systems and bodywork. The car was an auction without doubt. Use all of that as a tool to get the price down after they fix the major problems. As far as the second key tell the guy he must have memorized the old corvette.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:32 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,899 Posts

Ti-Jean

I know a guy in your area that is thinking about selling his red 2004 6 GT3. PM me with your info and I'll pass it on to him. He hasn't listed it yet, but has begun the process of taking all the track goodies off and returning it to stock.

Car was meticulously maintained and fast as I can attest to .
Old 04-13-2013, 09:05 PM
ti-jean
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pete
Ti-Jean

I know a guy in your area that is thinking about selling his red 2004 6 GT3. PM me with your info and I'll pass it on to him. He hasn't listed it yet, but has begun the process of taking all the track goodies off and returning it to stock.

Car was meticulously maintained and fast as I can attest to .
PM'ed

This could be perfect: RL'er, possibility to include some track mods and local

Have him contact me ASAP.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a 996 GT3 from a non-Porsche dealership?