Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a 996 GT3 from a non-Porsche dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 02:52 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by chakka
So from the data, that last rev in range one(at the rpm limiter) was less than an hour before the car was tested(589.2 hr/ total operating hours of 590hr)? Must have been a fun ride to the shop to get checked out or a spirited test drive by someone.....
Concur.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:55 PM
speed12sil
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ti-jean
The one at Smith/Volvo is overpriced so would need them to come down 10% in price and still same problem, no history on the car and from non-Porsche dealership, simply closer.

The yellow one, I like. I tried to contact the seller last week but no response so far. I'm assuming it sold... but who knows... if he gets back to me, I'm going to be all over that one.

Thanks for taking the time to look for me and posting the info, much appreciated.

I think the SY one in Morgan Hill has been there on AT since at least February, if not earlier.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:07 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

You are getting great advice from the team.

Be patient!

The tendency during the used car hunt is to focus on the negative aspects of each GT3 candidate. Just be fair in your assessment and due diligence.

As I said, if you need another opinion on the car get a Rennlist or PCA member to look at it. Many of these folks enjoy looking at GT3 so don't feel like you will let them down if you don't buy it.

Spending money on PPIs is money well spent so don't look at it as a loss if the cars do not check out.

As someone else said work out a dollar figure on each viable candidate and start making offers.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:56 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by enthusiast
Concur.
you can bounce off the rev limiter in a heartbeat. Especially going down the on ramp to a freeway in 2nd gear. really means nothing other than the limiter worked. Propose the seller pay for failed PPI and your commitment is you will buy the car for a pre agreed price if it passes. I did it at a Ferrari dealer. Car failed they paid.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:25 PM
ti-jean
Instructor

Originally Posted by speed12sil
I think the SY one in Morgan Hill has been there on AT since at least February, if not earlier.
Makes sense, I tried to contact the seller a few times with no response. I gave up on that one already.

Originally Posted by enthusiast
As someone else said work out a dollar figure on each viable candidate and start making offers.
So what would be a good number for this one? Dealer wants $53,900. My newbie guess right now is ~$50-51K. I would have paid asking price for a clean PPI but not with what came up.

I'm also looking at the local car Pete referred me to. Owned by local PCA member and mainly use for autoX and track events. Cosmetically in OK (not great) condition but engine/trans/suspension well maintained with records. Only 2 issues with that one is old JRZ single adjustable suspension and price is a bit high. The argument for the higher price is the car is basically track-ready: factory roll bar, Euro seats (no harnesses), LWFW, solid mounts, Guard rebuilt LSD and maintenance records.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:27 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by speed12sil
fake ad
it's before that.
i called more than 100 times.
and emailed many many times via the ad.
zip nada.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:10 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by targa996
Maybe someone traded it for a mustang ! Might make sense in Texas . ?
Don't mess with Texas.
1. The Porsche Texas Edition comes with gun racks
2. If I go to California to buy a GT3, will I find them at the Toyota dealers as everybody traded theirs for a Prius?

Last edited by tgavem; 04-17-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:25 PM
ti-jean
Instructor

Thought I'd give an update on what happened...

Dealer tried putting pressure by "threatening" that another buyer was ready to buy the car and after 1 week of back-and-forth, they are still calling me trying to sell the car to me at asking price. I told them I won't pay more than $50K considering the issues (mainly type 2 overrev and cheap exhaust on that car). Talked to 3 sales guys (ranging from low-level to director), the middle guy told me he worked at Porsche for 11 yrs and funny enough... he left and is back at Porsche. I got a text from him saying he will find me a better car

I'll probably follow the advise given and go with the local car owned by a PCA member with supporting maintenance records.

Thanks all for all the good advise and comments. Looking forward to join the Porsche fun

Quick Reply: Would you buy a 996 GT3 from a non-Porsche dealership?