Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 GT3 cup LWFW, coolant fix, and other updates to my GT3 that I'm excited about..

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 04:34 PM
mobilett
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking 996 GT3 cup LWFW, coolant fix, and other updates to my GT3 that I'm excited about..

So after reading countless threads on the dreaded coolant issue, and watching videos of what happens when the glue fails, I decided to take the plunge and take care of the coolant issue before it takes care of me - especially since my car is a street/hwy car, I'd hate to endanger anyone else, or myself! There isn't much run off on the street.

The stats:

2004 996 GT3, with about 25k miles on it, never tracked, always babied, fully maintained with receipt trail, and stamps in the books.

The mods:

RS wing, RS seats, JoeT front lip spoiler, and a couple other small bits and pieces. The car has a bunch of exclusive options from the factory.

The plan:

I'm going with the Sharkwerks method of bolting/riveting the fittings, and I can't wait to see the end result!

But, since the motor is going to be dropped, and consequently I'll get new coolant, and coolant hoses, I thought it would be a good idea to throw in a couple new parts while I'm there.

What I ordered, and received, and took photos of:

I went for the RS pulley, new belt, new shifting fork, and shaft, Cup Flywheel (the 8.2lbs one), new clutch, pressure plate, guide, ring gear, bearing, all bolts, etc, and a new airfilter (lol). Basically anything in the clutch mechanism that is generally hard to get to, I'm replacing.

I have no idea what to expect from the car after this. There is very little info on LWFW's (especially the cup version), most people say that it's not really worth it, but it's only a little bit extra money. I've read 911SLOW's posts about LWFW's and from what I've read, it seems to be a decent upgrade.. I hope!

The car should be done in the next couple of days, and I'll post my opinion then.

Any comments on what I should be expecting with this 8.2lbs flywheel?
Attached Images  

Last edited by mobilett; 03-22-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:26 AM
Jack Wood
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from stock to RS LWFW a couple if months ago. I thought the difference was quite noticeable. The car revs so much more freely. Heal and toe is harder as te revs flair much quicker when you blip the throttle. It also feels much zipper through the gears.
The added noise when out of gear and foot off the clutch adds to the drama of the car. The chatter from the gearbox giving it that real Cup car feel.

Are you not replacing the Diff at the same time? I decided not to do this while the clutch was being done, but now wish I had. My diff needs replacing now and that means more labour hours than if I had it done when then clutch was being done.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:39 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

super mod, 1st, 2nd unreral improvement. If you have the funds replace the dif with a Guards at the same time. You will be doing it soon unless it already in there. Have fun
Old 03-23-2013, 12:11 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looking forward to hear your impressions.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:28 PM
AP328
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Look forward to seeing the car completed.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:31 PM
mobilett
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jack Wood
I went from stock to RS LWFW a couple if months ago. I thought the difference was quite noticeable. The car revs so much more freely. Heal and toe is harder as te revs flair much quicker when you blip the throttle. It also feels much zipper through the gears.
The added noise when out of gear and foot off the clutch adds to the drama of the car. The chatter from the gearbox giving it that real Cup car feel.

Are you not replacing the Diff at the same time? I decided not to do this while the clutch was being done, but now wish I had. My diff needs replacing now and that means more labour hours than if I had it done when then clutch was being done.
My diff is still really solid considering the car has had a babied life: one year I have documented just 500 miles of driving! So I'm going to pass on the diff for now, but plan to do it maybe in the next couple of years, with a guard for sure - read enough threads about how good it is! But one step at a time
Old 03-23-2013, 11:38 PM
mobilett
Instructor

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll update with the progress.

Another thing I'm doing, is changing the fuel filter too since I'm at it.

And I just changed the plugs and coils too. The car is going to be so mint after. I can't wait. It might be ready sometime tomorrow!
Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Will you be doing it yourself or a shop will do it for you?
Old 03-24-2013, 06:27 AM
mobilett
Instructor

Originally Posted by cfjan
Will you be doing it yourself or a shop will do it for you?
I'm not too bad mechanically, but this is a little above me, so a shop is handling it all for me. It will be done correctly by a master tech.

If only I could do this stuff myself, I'd have used the labor money for so many things.. diff,.. wheels, spacers, tires....

I'll post pics as I get them!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:23 AM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mobilett
I'm not too bad mechanically, but this is a little above me, so a shop is handling it all for me. It will be done correctly by a master tech.

If only I could do this stuff myself, I'd have used the labor money for so many things.. diff,.. wheels, spacers, tires....

I'll post pics as I get them!
+1 I'm definitely lacking a lift and good help. Otherwise I'd do everything.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:54 AM
mobilett
Instructor

Car is done!

Here's the full list:

- Air filter
- Fuel filter
- Motul + oil filter
- Coolant
- Plugs
- Coils
- Cup Flywheel (8.2 lbs)
- Clutch+Pressure plate
- Slave Cylinder
- Clutch fork + shaft + bearings
- O rings everywhere
- RS Pulley
- Belt
- Tapped and bolted down all the coolant fittings
- Corner balanced to the exact same Front L&R
- Rears within .01'

Holy does the car feel completely different, in every way. Jaw dropping.

The cup flywheel is the best. Not difficult to drive, chatter is there, but it's not bad at all, and adds to the drama of the car.

After years and years of ownership of this beautiful machine, I have fell in love with it all over again.

If anyone is hesitating doing the 8.2lbs flywheel, afraid of it being difficult to drive, don't. It's easy, just like stock, but revs quicker, stops faster.

Wow.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:01 PM
cavlino
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Its terrific to hear that it exceeded your expectations. Thanks for the update.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:51 PM
mobilett
Instructor

If anyone has any questions regarding the process, project, any of the parts, or cost, I'd be happy to help. Just ask here and you shall receive!
Old 04-10-2013, 05:58 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Well done!

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 cup LWFW, coolant fix, and other updates to my GT3 that I'm excited about..