Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

right rear swaybar link loosens on shock. fell off into driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 09:20 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default NOW BROKEN NEW LINK! rear swaybar link loosens on shock. fell off into driveshaft

With car lowered the link going from swaybar to shock is angled back so as it goes up and down it loosens link mount on shock on right rear side and tightens left rear shock mount despite double collar locktite etc. Have to tighten right rear every track day otherwise get clunk. It got loose and broke once.
Does anyone make shorter swaybar links to shock mounts ? So link will be 90 degrees To ground And won't loosen the shock mount.
Shop is gonna make a custom one but figured this problem is not new.
Out of town and can't seem to download pic from phone

Thx

Mike

Last edited by mkk62; 05-26-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

The collar on the coilover body can move/ spin so that you shouldn't have this issue. Put it where geometry is right and lock it in.

I'd probably replace the link too in case the threads are screwed up. I found drop links through rock auto for like 20% the cost of the OEM part
Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

You're rear shocks ok? Mike
Old 02-02-2013, 09:35 AM
ninerguru
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about some adjustable rear links to compensate for lowering?
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2013, 10:56 AM
pete95zhn
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

I had similar issue with mine, and although having adjustable links too I moved right sway bar link mount (which are aftermarket ones) below the collar. This way the movement of the link tightens the mount against the collar, not vv.

Power. Lots is good, more is better, too much is just right...

'87 951, RIP
'00 996 C2 L92U AQ / IXAA IXRB IX54 M96/7.xx G96/7.88 M030 M375 M376 M436 M476 M601 M983 ... + 991 GT3 brakes, 997 GT3 sway bars, fully monoball'd suspension, Bilstein Cup Car coilovers, do88 Big Pack ICs. 10 & 12 x 19" BBS CH-R wheels with 265/30 & 325 /30 -19 MPSC2s.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You shouldn't have any preload on the drop links with the car at rest. Adjustable links like the Tarrett ones suggested by ninerguru should provide the solution.

However COMMA if you're snapping links due to lower geometry, then you better also check the toe links unless you already have an adjustable set in there. Dial out the bump steer... just saying...

I just 'got' Mike's comment about the shock... if you're damper's shot that could be part of the issue.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:30 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Thx guys. New shocks. Jrz's pros. All toe links were changed including dog bones bump steer toe links.
Will post pics and try to order adjustable tarret ones. Back in town tomorrow. It seems that when car is lowered stock link from sway bar to shock mount( ?sway bar link?) has to angle so need adjustable or custom one. Keep u posted. Thx again

Mike
Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

here are the pics shock mount was changed to new and extra collar placed...will look for the adjustable tarret ones...on that pic of the red tarret link does it go from sway bar to shock?..cant tell on pic
you can see where the drive shaft got eaten away a little and the broken mount....any links where to buy the aftermarket shock mounts and links would be appreciated...

mike
Attached Images   
Old 02-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Boostin
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't need new shock mounts. All you need is a set of adjustable drop links from Tarret Engineering which you can find here here. You'll need part# GT3RDLNK from the drop down menu. As some one else mentioned, they should be adjusted such that they have no preload while the car is on the ground. Also, a good measure it to put a collar on top and bottom of the drop link mount on the shock. Have this exact setup on my 6GT3 with motons.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:15 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

thanks Boostin

great

will order!

mike
Old 02-05-2013, 01:11 AM
bobsan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something very wrong in your photo there, looks like the drop link mount has also come into contact with drive shaft.

Has the top mount has been rotated backwards to keep the link away from the alien shock oil pipe, thereby creating an odd angle causing it to snap ??

I be inclined to re adjust that pipe out the way, then straighten up your drop link, fitting a Tarret's not going to correct the problem.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:16 AM
pete95zhn
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bobsan
Something very wrong in your photo there, looks like the drop link mount has also come into contact with drive shaft.

Has the top mount has been rotated backwards to keep the link away from the alien shock oil pipe, thereby creating an odd angle causing it to snap ??

I be inclined to re adjust that pipe out the way, then straighten up your drop link, fitting a Tarret's not going to correct the problem.
If the droplink mount is too long (= in a wrong angle) the movement of sway bar initially loosens the mount and then turns the mount and droplink against the driveshaft. The shock itself doesn't rotate.
Solution to this problem is a shorter and adjustable droplink and a collar above the mount to secure it.

BTDT.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:24 AM
bobsan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I realise the shock doesn't rotate. Isn't the reason the drop links at wrong angle because it should be secured from INSIDE the top mount and not from out side ??

This would of course affect link connection to sway bar, which my or may not matter, can't tell without seeing it.

Can't the mount itself move up the shock more to accommodate link length, or is it already at end of its thread ??

I still maintain the problems the fact an after market shocks' been fitted which has an oil pipe that's in conflict with the drop link bar, and that link bar mount has been rotated away (to the right) and cause the odd angle. And that fitting an expensive shorter drop link will only increase the already wrong angle.

Last edited by bobsan; 02-05-2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bobsan
Well I realise the shock doesn't rotate. Isn't the reason the drop links at wrong angle because it should be secured from INSIDE the top mount and not from out side ??
+1. that drop link is not installed correctly. See Ninerguru's picture above for correct orientation of the drop link. Nut should be on the outside of the bracket not the inside. That's causing geometry issues right there I wonder if just installing the other way will resolve your issues right there.

Also, I get that the adjustable drop links are nice because there's typically no rubber in them, but you don't need them to take the preload out of the sway bar...the reason the mount collar spins on the coilover is so that you can use that to adjust preload on the bars without adjustable links.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Thx. Thanks by the way there is a collar added above the shock mount after this pic and despite that because of the geometry the link loosens the right collar.
To clarify the picture this was taken after the problem and that shock mount broke and fell off and dropped down onto the driveshaft. After this picture the collar was added a new shock mount and despite that the collar still loosens Because the stock link is too long. Tarret Will be ordered
And. Hopefully get it installed correctly
Mike

Quick Reply: right rear swaybar link loosens on shock. fell off into driveshaft