Sponsored by:

Learning Porsche driving through a GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 04:40 PM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Learning Porsche driving through a GT3

I've been casually looking for a track-capable upgrade for several months with the GT3 as my far-and-away preference (others in the list: Z06, S2000, STI, modified/stock 996C2, 996tt, prepped Miata). Its coming up to decision time so I have one big question: Is the GT3 an appropriate car to learn the 911 and RWD on?

My driving experience: I've got some DE experience in a small-and-quick DE-prepped FWD car (160HP, ~2000lbs, essentially a ChumpCar) and tons of autocross experience in my stock 2011 STI. I've got very good car control skills and like to drive them hard - at DEs I can keep up with much more potent vehicles and at autocross events often earning the highest place among un-modified cars. My plan was to track the STI but given its the family DD, the high operating costs, and wrench time between track/DD, etc.... I've been dreaming of the GT3 instead.

All thoughts and opinions are welcome!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Guzzirider
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 996-3 is my first Porsche and I am loving it. I say go for it. It shares a garage with a Miata (daily driver) and the wife's Boxster.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:55 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Powerful weapon if you respect it everthing will be fine...
Old 01-21-2013, 12:43 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I did a fair number of auto-xes before I started track events also. From what I've seen with my own students (and I think I've done it also), people that start auto-xes first tend to be harsh with the controls of a car. I've also seen people who are used to the STi/EVO to at times over drive their cars...

The 996 GT2/3 can be quite sensitive to throttle input -or lack of it for that matter. Your experience is with AWD/FWD and in cars that are front heavy. What I'm saying is, be careful if you choose to go this route.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:01 AM
mistermct
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzirider
My 996-3 is my first Porsche and I am loving it. I say go for it. It shares a garage with a Miata (daily driver) and the wife's Boxster.

Originally Posted by Vonschmidt
Powerful weapon if you respect it everthing will be fine...
Agreed. I expect I will need patience and some good instruction.

Originally Posted by Ahmet
I did a fair number of auto-xes before I started track events also. From what I've seen with my own students (and I think I've done it also), people that start auto-xes first tend to be harsh with the controls of a car. I've also seen people who are used to the STi/EVO to at times over drive their cars...

The 996 GT2/3 can be quite sensitive to throttle input -or lack of it for that matter. Your experience is with AWD/FWD and in cars that are front heavy. What I'm saying is, be careful if you choose to go this route.
I can be harsh/aggressive as the STi does require some "pitching", point-and-squirt, and aggressive braking to go quickly in auto-x... When I get slow its because I overdrive it and understeer. My experience might make me overzealous while learning a 911/GT3 and this is my major concern - am I asking for trouble with a transition to a RR car without spending time in a FR car (eg. S2000/miata)? argh!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you a good candidate.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:05 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I would say that the GT3 is a difficult car to learn on, more so than almost any other 911. ( I've been an instructor for 10+years). It is very capable, but as mentioned above, it will bite you. You may be able to go fast, because it is a fast car, but you can easily cover mistakes. I've obviously never driven with you, so this might not apply to you, but most people would become better 911 drivers in the long run if they began with a momentum 911.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:10 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I would have to agree that a GT3 is not the ideal car to learn on. It is very communicative, but can bite you very quickly. The 6GT3 was my third track car. BMW E46 M3 -> 996 Turbo and the 6GT3. It took me around 7 days to transition from the Turbo to get comfortable. The 6GT3 needs a lot of respect.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Number54
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No big deal, start with instruction from day 1. I got instruction a bit too late. STI is very different.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
......better 911 drivers in the long run if they began with a momentum 911.
I assume you mean something LOW HORSEPOWER like an old 911 or 944 or other since by definition, all cars on track are momentum cars

It seems that we classify low hp cars as momentum cars and use those 2 terms interchangeably when that isn't entirely accurate.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:53 PM
mister_po
Intermediate

Hey MCT,
I say go for it! I too had owned and tracked a STi, as well as a FWD car (GTi) before making the jump to the 996 GT3. I have had it for 2.5 years now and had never looked back.
The STi and the 3 are two totally different animals and are fun in each of thier own ways. If you respect the car and take small steps learning you are going to be fine, and you will find driving the 3 much more rewarding when you "get it right"....
Old 01-21-2013, 05:56 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

The 2004 and 2005 GT3 are naturally aspirated cars, with no/Zero electronic nannys to save you. I bought a convertible Porsche for parading, however, since it is a Porsche, I decided to take the cab to the track. I had so much fun, a GT3 was added to the stable. Looked for a few months, and found one in Houston in late November. I took it to the track, MSR Cresson, had a mechnical problem, fixed it, then went to MSR Houston on club day by myself. Did ok there, (3 sec faster than my 4S in the opposite direction, ie new track configuration), but spun it twice.
This weekend I was at TWS (good to meet you Charles) - I hired an instructor (tanks Dave), it was worth every penny. The car is an absolute blast to drive. Learning how to place it, use throttle to rotate car, hitting the apex, soft on the brakes and carry momentum - when right in a corner, what a feeling. Then scared in the next one due to the higher speed achieved from nailing the earlier corner. Hehe
Going back to your concern in the long way, because the car has zero nannies to save your bacon, hire an instructor early, mybe use higher gears than normal to reduce available horsepower/torque at throttle application, etc. The instructor will help here.
I do suggest you set up the car before taking it out, ie camber, toe, new rear toe link, etc to ensure car behaves predictably to your driving. There are many tips here on what to do - adjust those advice to your goals.
I am taking mine to the shop now, for new pads, disks, alignment check, fluid flush w/ water wetter, new tires (AD08), etc $$$
This summer, Guards LSD, new clutch, solid fittings etc etc $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
My daughter better be getting all A's................poor girl. :-)

+1 much more rewarding when you "get it right"....
Old 01-21-2013, 06:31 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Go for it!!!! Best car I ever owned!!! Mike
Old 01-21-2013, 09:13 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I use the term "momentum car" to mean one for which the limiting feature is its power, as opposed to its handling. The feature that limits a 997 turbo's ability to go through a turn faster at the limit is not its power, but rather its tendency to understeer. A Miata's limiting feature through the same segment will be its acceleration after the turn rather than its carrying speed through the turn.
The 6GT3 has strong exit acceleration, so over slowing on entry can be masked by strong exit speed. The 6GT3 also has great handling at the limit, but it takes a little experience to get that feel. As tgavem mentioned, spinning is not hard to do. It sounds like his spins were not catastrophic. Many 6GT3s have had different outcomes.
Don't get me wrong, I really like the 6GT3 and agree with the above comments that it is very rewarding to get right. I would emphasize that it is one of the more difficult cars to get right, as the first 911 experience.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Go for it!!!! Best car I ever owned!!! Mike
^ +1 a great car and a really great car to track!

Quick Reply: Learning Porsche driving through a GT3