Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High speed understeer

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete thanks had this car since 06 before had 02 996 have 7k laps at VIR and first race was in MGA 1969 !Used to run car full soft up front full stiff rear obviously running kinematic rear toe links when I installed the Motion Control doubles the car (except in uphill esses) was happier full front and rear tried more rake towards the end of the year in heat cycled out triple 8s was some what better but no oversteer at all let me know your thoughts HOM
Old 01-12-2013, 03:06 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,226 Likes on 1,900 Posts

I don't have adjustables in my GT3, so I can't help you there, but in theory softening up the end you want to find grip with is what to do, but I've found placing the front sway bar stiffer up front and softer in the rear helps rotate this car.

I've also experienced having heat cycles tires to be the biggest PIA when trying to chase a handling issue.

You need to find a baseline and the first step is fresh tires. My suggestion of keeping the R888 in the rear and fresh Nittos in the front for a session will tell you if its a tire issue. When you go to fresh nittos all around and if still have the high speed understeer, then start changing the sway bar settings. I wish I could help you on the shock settings, but the set up of my race car and GT3 are completely different so what I do with the adjustables on the race car will not translate over to the 6 GT3. Good luck, keep up informed on the progress.

BTW, the Nittos will last a long time, best bang for your buck on 100 treadware r comps
Old 01-12-2013, 03:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Tom, run the NT01's. They are a fantastic tire and they make them in the PROPER size for your car. Also, I'd consider running softer springs so you are matching the spring rate of the tire better. 550/700 to 700/900 would be the range to shoot for. Get it PROFESSIONALLY setup and then go set your best times
Old 01-12-2013, 03:32 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
1. dump the 888. they are no better than the tires on my 3 year olds tricycle. i much rather stop driving if i have to use 888. your car will never drive right with those.

2. refer to #1

3. refer to #1 again

4. after you fixed #1-3, then have a pro set the car up for YOU.
what he said then call call Greg Fordahl - engineer for AJR and owns a sold in Redmond WA for setup suggestions. He works wonders. I agree the spring rate comments. a 200lb difference between fr and rear.

Last edited by roberga; 01-12-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Triple8

Very worthwhile comments!Pete another issue that we often ignore are the changing weather conditions .In the South even in June you can expect a really greasy track by 3pm makes you feel stupid !I will try right away the Nittos,they represent one of the few times in this sport where spending LESS MONEY actually is better than MORE MONEY.Further. As I think about the spring change is also going to be cheap.

Quick Reply: High speed understeer