New Member Looking for Advice about 996 GT3's

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 AM
kendall993
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
1: do not believe Car Fakes - their report means NOTHING
2: get a PPI that includes a body guy: remove wheel liners and such - will cost more but very important
3: find through local Porsche club the best indy shop to do the PPI
4: If the diff is not new then it needs replaced with a Guards
Thanks for the info. Im also in Seattle. Any recommendations for a good Indy Shop?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:25 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kendall993
Thanks for the info. Im also in Seattle. Any recommendations for a good Indy Shop?
Try emailing this guy... Charles.dundon@gmail.com

As for the diff, most say to upgrade it as they track a lot which over whelms the stock diff. Manufacture has a balancing act between noise and robustness from the diff. Some people go longer on stock diff then others. You may not even notice the diff is off just driving around town. On track the car is a little unstable under fast hard braking, under steer through mid speed sweepers, and hard to put the power down coming out of the turn.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

Kendall, It boils down to how the car was intended to be truly used.

The diffs in these cars came with very low breakaway torque and it is commonly known that they are not very robust. Here's the "UP" side. You have a UNIT that can be rebuilt for not a lot of money. My 996TT cost me $3K because it was an open diff and had to be completely replaced with a new unit. The GT3 rebuilds run about $1000.

Waterpipes, what can I tell you, I'm as miffed about this as anyone, but it's a known flaw with the mezger motor.

My list was intended as a "If you want the "ultimate track car in your ultimate sportscar. I've owned BMWs, Corvettes, Mustangs, Nissans, Miatas, and nothing has come close to my Porsches. Sure they're not perfect, but they're damned close. My list above gets them there, on the drivetrain side of the house.

Mike

Im new to Porsche and Ive heard so many great things from other Porsche owners about how reliable these cars are but after spending some time reading on this forum and looking at your recommendations on a low milage car to have to replace the diff and clutch etc... im a little surprised. I can understand the clutch if the car has been tracked or just driven very hard but the diff? Are the Diff issues common in these cars?

I understand that on forums like these you hear pretty much all of the horror stories but Im a little surprised about some of the things Ive been reading about.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2013, 09:13 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexl911
Sorry to hijack this thread but it is relevant... I'm a new GT3 owner as well. My car has 25K miles and has never been tracked -do I need to replace the LSD now?
my bet is that it is not functioning, Do you NEED to replace it? The car will be much better if you do and with a guard
Old 01-19-2013, 09:16 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris German - Bellevue
Cantrell MotoSports - Kirkland
Squire's- Bellevue
The guys at Barrier are great as well.

Chris' is really a great shop and a nice guy. I would go to him for the motor and tranny
Cantrell for set up
Old 01-22-2013, 11:15 PM
kendall993
AutoX

Originally Posted by roberga
Chris German - Bellevue
Cantrell MotoSports - Kirkland
Squire's- Bellevue
The guys at Barrier are great as well.

Chris' is really a great shop and a nice guy. I would go to him for the motor and tranny
Cantrell for set up
Thank You!!! Im on the eastside so all these shops are close.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:19 PM
kendall993
AutoX

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Kendall, It boils down to how the car was intended to be truly used.

The diffs in these cars came with very low breakaway torque and it is commonly known that they are not very robust. Here's the "UP" side. You have a UNIT that can be rebuilt for not a lot of money. My 996TT cost me $3K because it was an open diff and had to be completely replaced with a new unit. The GT3 rebuilds run about $1000.

Waterpipes, what can I tell you, I'm as miffed about this as anyone, but it's a known flaw with the mezger motor.

My list was intended as a "If you want the "ultimate track car in your ultimate sportscar. I've owned BMWs, Corvettes, Mustangs, Nissans, Miatas, and nothing has come close to my Porsches. Sure they're not perfect, but they're damned close. My list above gets them there, on the drivetrain side of the house.

Mike
Mike,

Thanks for all your help and advice. I know at this level you have to pay to play. Shoot I daily drive my E60 M5 and these beasts are not known to be bullet proof either. Im very glad to hear that the Diff can be rebuilt at a reasonable price.

Im a pretty handy guy and try to do as much of my own work. I assume that the Porsches are not too difficult to work on if you have decent tools and some patients. Correct?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Im a pretty handy guy and try to do as much of my own work. I assume that the Porsches are not too difficult to work on if you have decent tools and some patients. Correct?
I'm a big DIY'er and have had no issues working on the GT3. Some things are a little cramped but for the most part it's very easy to work on. Also this board is such a great resource you'll never have a question go unanswered if you need help.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 AM
kendall993
AutoX

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I'm a big DIY'er and have had no issues working on the GT3. Some things are a little cramped but for the most part it's very easy to work on. Also this board is such a great resource you'll never have a question go unanswered if you need help.
Good to hear, thanks.

Quick Reply: New Member Looking for Advice about 996 GT3's