Sponsored by:

New Member Looking for Advice about 996 GT3's

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 AM
kendall993
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Member Looking for Advice about 996 GT3's

Hello, Im a new member to Rennlist. Im an active member on the M5board and would consider myself an enthusiast of motorsports and performance cars in general. Ive been a huge fan of the P-car since childhood.

The reason for my thread is Im currently in a E60 M5 and am considering selling it and purchasing a 996 GT3 as my weekend car. My main questions are around what I should be looking out for when purchasing a GT3? I know that many of these cars see track time so what are the main issues I should be on guard for when doing PPI?

Thanks in advance for your help. Here is a couple of pics of my M5. enjoy

Ok, just 1 pic, the others wouldnt for some reason.

Attachment 694449
Old 01-11-2013, 10:45 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome, search is your friend on this topic as there's already many very similar threads on this topic.

Also, start with these topics to get you up to speed.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...3-threads.html
Old 01-11-2013, 11:08 AM
BuckeyeDrew
Instructor

From my experience (after 6 months of looking I bought an 05 gt3 last month) the things I looked for was over revs, coolant hose fittings, LSD, paperwork trail for previous service, any aftermarket parts (just nice to know), and carfax history.

Many of these cars are tracked but the general opinion of those cars is that the owners generally maintain them more thoughly than a non-tracked car. There is a thread on page 2 of this 996 GT3 GT2 forum titled "Opinions on buying a tracked 996 GT3 " (not sure how to link it) Lots of good info there.

All of the info I learned came from this site. As Audion19 said search is your friend.

Good luck
Old 01-11-2013, 02:36 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Welcome, search is your friend on this topic as there's already many very similar threads on this topic.

Also, start with these topics to get you up to speed.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...3-threads.html
+1

Just about everything has been covered many times, hence using that collection of information links is the way to get informed.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:08 PM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 138 Posts

The 996gt3 can be 8 or 9 years old now, so just watch what you buy as a refresh is easy $15k
Old 01-11-2013, 09:45 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 211 Posts

^totally concur. All of a sudden things started grenading last season : ( for me. Everything has been taken care of so far- hope 2013 will be sheer non grenading joy!!!! Mike
Old 01-12-2013, 02:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
^totally concur. All of a sudden things started grenading last season : ( for me. Everything has been taken care of so far- hope 2013 will be sheer non grenading joy!!!! Mike
it stop grenading, but we can't fire her up last week. had to push your POS out of the way, as she's blocking my parking spot! u need to drive it more.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:25 AM
kendall993
AutoX

Thanks for your responses guys, you are correct I should have started with a couple of searches. Ill be doing some reading this weekend between football games.

BTW, can someone tell my why photos (jpegs) will not load on this board?
Old 01-12-2013, 11:43 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
it stop grenading, but we can't fire her up last week. had to push your POS out of the way, as she's blocking my parking spot! u need to drive it more.
I swear those red top batteries don't last more than 2 years!!!! Mike
Old 01-12-2013, 01:45 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kendall993
BTW, can someone tell my why photos (jpegs) will not load on this board?
Could be file size if pic taken with a good camera. If thats the case you can reduce by uploading the pic to a sharing site, then download but opt for a smaller file size. Just a possiblity.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:39 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1: do not believe Car Fakes - their report means NOTHING
2: get a PPI that includes a body guy: remove wheel liners and such - will cost more but very important
3: find through local Porsche club the best indy shop to do the PPI
4: If the diff is not new then it needs replaced with a Guards
Old 01-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

All has pretty much been covered here.

When I was searching last spring, I wanted a clean low miles car that I planned to daily drive and use as a back-up when my track car was down. What I've found is the group here on Rennlist is VERY knowledgable.

Once you have the car, remember the key replacement items if the drivetrain has to be removed:

Coolant pipe pinning or welding
Clutch/LWFW
Upgrade LSD
CupCar Crank Pulley
Plugs
Coilpacks
Coolant reservoir
Fuel Filter
Motor and Transaxle Mount upgrades

That pretty much covers the items that will require attention. It'll be a hefty bill, but once you R&R these items you'll be happy you did and the car will be solid for quite some time.

Mike
Old 01-12-2013, 07:54 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hijack this thread but it is relevant... I'm a new GT3 owner as well. My car has 25K miles and has never been tracked -do I need to replace the LSD now?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

No. Mine hasn't been done and it's noisy but works well enough to cause the clutch to slip instead doing burn-outs uphill. I'd change the fluid regularly until the diff fails. Easy check is to get the rear in the air and get someone to hold one side while spinning the other. You'll know if it's cooked if there is no resistance on the wheel been "held".

Mike
Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 AM
kendall993
AutoX

Originally Posted by Mikelly
All has pretty much been covered here.

When I was searching last spring, I wanted a clean low miles car that I planned to daily drive and use as a back-up when my track car was down. What I've found is the group here on Rennlist is VERY knowledgable.

Once you have the car, remember the key replacement items if the drivetrain has to be removed:

Coolant pipe pinning or welding
Clutch/LWFW
Upgrade LSD
CupCar Crank Pulley
Plugs
Coilpacks
Coolant reservoir
Fuel Filter
Motor and Transaxle Mount upgrades

That pretty much covers the items that will require attention. It'll be a hefty bill, but once you R&R these items you'll be happy you did and the car will be solid for quite some time.

Mike
Im new to Porsche and Ive heard so many great things from other Porsche owners about how reliable these cars are but after spending some time reading on this forum and looking at your recommendations on a low milage car to have to replace the diff and clutch etc... im a little surprised. I can understand the clutch if the car has been tracked or just driven very hard but the diff? Are the Diff issues common in these cars?

I understand that on forums like these you hear pretty much all of the horror stories but Im a little surprised about some of the things Ive been reading about.

Thanks

Quick Reply: New Member Looking for Advice about 996 GT3's