Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone getting knock-back sounds from PFC 08s?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Rceron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone getting knock-back sounds from PFC 08s?

I think that is the correct term for excessive rattling of the pads in the calipers. This didn't occur with my PFC 06 setup in the front calipers. My shop is claiming that the pin in the caliper that holds the pads in place is smaller than the hole in the brake pad. This is oldd as it didn't occur from the beginning.

Do I have a caliper problem, installation issue or faulty back plate on the pad?

Note the noise is awful once the car is going 30+ mph.

thx
Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Burger
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't had an issue with the 08s up front. Did they take out the shims? Mine are still in, so I'm wondering if that makes the difference. Also, make sure you have the right pads- 7819.08.17.44

It's not likely they would have made a change to the backing plates.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you talking about side to side or fore and aft? If fore and aft then yes, you will get that. Totally normal. Just the pad plate hitting the pin.

Last edited by LVDell; 01-07-2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rceron
I think that is the correct term for excessive rattling of the pads in the calipers. This didn't occur with my PFC 06 setup in the front calipers. My shop is claiming that the pin in the caliper that holds the pads in place is smaller than the hole in the brake pad. This is oldd as it didn't occur from the beginning.

Do I have a caliper problem, installation issue or faulty back plate on the pad?

Note the noise is awful once the car is going 30+ mph.

thx
Hi Ramon,
When the pad gets thinner there's more space to create a bigger rattle.

Knock back is the pad vibrating up against the piston pushing it back in so when you brake you have a much longer pedal because the pad is further away form the rotor. The thinner the pad the more knock back you will see. This is why some folks tap up the pedal before braking so the pedal stays high and firm and most importantly the braking happens asap.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Rceron
Racer

This is like no other sound I've ever heard from any track car. It's not remotely driveable. Sounds like the entire front end is about to rattle and break off. This noise is way beyond a nuisance.

Let me get more details from the shop. Something must be wrong....maybe it is the wrong size pad.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Do you have a gopro you could mount on the fender with the suction mount and take a short clip of video with audio?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Rceron
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
Do you have a gopro you could mount on the fender with the suction mount and take a short clip of video with audio?
I do Dell but car is at the shop. Let put it this way, the car is undriveable with that rattle. Hopefully I'll get more details later. The shop is taking the pad out and looking to see if in fact the right size is in there
Old 01-07-2013, 12:20 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Interesting. By undriveable do you mean it is affecting braking or even acceleration Or is it just a horrible noise?

Post back what you find out.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Rceron
Racer

Dell, yes, horrible, horrible noise.

Shop says the my calipers do not have the OEM clips/springs at the pin that pushes against the back of the pads. Not sure if I got that description right. In any case I still don't understand why it's doing this with my PFC 08 pads and not the 06s. More investigation needed I suspect.

Thanks to all for the comments.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Sounds like maybe the retainer clip is missing? That would make that sound which is totally fine.....if you are a 100% race car
Old 01-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Burger
Pro

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...996gt3exterior
Old 01-08-2013, 06:14 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting. I wonder if you could install those in the front, or if it's a "typo"? Fronts have nuts on the through-bolts, it's the rears that have the spring pins.

I have the 08's, no "quiet" springs, and the pads do rattle around when they start to wear. What rotors do you have? Are they floaters? If yes, that might be an additional source for the clackity-clack.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

The link is for the fronts but the picture is wrong. The price is more as well.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Interesting. I wonder if you could install those in the front, or if it's a "typo"? Fronts have nuts on the through-bolts, it's the rears that have the spring pins.

I have the 08's, no "quiet" springs, and the pads do rattle around when they start to wear. What rotors do you have? Are they floaters? If yes, that might be an additional source for the clackity-clack.
X 2 . You don't need those springs or spider clips on the track. And floating rotors will cause the knock back. If no floating rotor then you have an issue. Something worn or loose or I guess wrong pads is a possibility. I've seen pads put in backwards. Another possibility is the locating ( or locking) pin threads stretch and the nut falls off.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Burger
Pro

The part number checks out. But yeah, wrong picture.

Quick Reply: Anyone getting knock-back sounds from PFC 08s?