Sponsored by:

DIY on mounting fiberglass splitters

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 10:11 PM
REALGT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Was it determined which way works best? What I mean is either putting the rubber isolator into the bumper skin (above the splitter) and using a metal washer with the screw to hold the underside of the splitter, or using the whole rubber nut directly into / under the splitter. Can someone clarify? Thanks in advance

Philip
Old 07-21-2013, 11:38 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by REALGT3
Was it determined which way works best? What I mean is either putting the rubber isolator into the bumper skin (above the splitter) and using a metal washer with the screw to hold the underside of the splitter, or using the whole rubber nut directly into / under the splitter. Can someone clarify? Thanks in advance

Philip
I used the latter method - put the whole rubber nut directly into / under the splitter. I think either method would work work fine, but it's probably a bit easier using the former method because you can insert the nuts with the screws already started. I used washers under the screw heads anyway.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Boostin
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the former method of putting the rubber "nutserts" directly into the bumper and then inserting the screws with washers through the splitter. As fbirch noted, I think either method works fine, I think it really just depends on how 'long' the nutserts are. Whichever way you go, you just want to make sure that you get enough rubber into the hole so that when you tighten it down, it expands enough to keep the splitter firmly affixed.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:48 PM
sp0da
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used the same method as Boostin and it's held perfectly for several thousand miles (daily driver). I recently switched from the Toth splitter back to a Cup splitter and when removing the hardware I ran into an issue where the inserts were turning inside the stock holes with the screw.

I was able to reach up into the bumper cover and hold the inserts by hand while loosening the screws. I did the same for re-tightening with the Cup splitter. YMMV...
Old 07-23-2013, 10:30 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See my photos on page 2 of this thread, that's how these type of fasteners are meant to be used - sandwiched between the thing being held and the thing doing the holding. If you push the insert through the splitter, it may pull the splitter away from the bumper slightly as you tighten the screw.

Also, unless the holes in your bumper are the perfect diameter to hold the fasteners in place prior to splitter assembly, I recommend installing as shown in my photo - loosely install screws into fasteners through splitter, then mount onto bumper. As you feed the inserts through the holes in the bumper, the double-sided tape will hold the splitter in place until you tighten the screws.

Quick Reply: DIY on mounting fiberglass splitters