Sponsored by:

New Buyer 996 GT3.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Warger
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Buyer 996 GT3.

I am looking to buying a 996 GT3 with in the next 6 months. My budget is $50,000 - $60,000, this will be my first Porsche. I am looking to track approximately 8-10 times a year. Would a GT3 with 15,000 miles have any problems? Am I looking into any costly mechanical issues? Would I be better off buying a 997 Carrera S and modifying it? Would you go with a different model Porsche for your first Porsche?

-Thank you
Old 11-23-2012, 04:58 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome!

check this car out, looks like it might fit your bill: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...4-996-gt3.html

(not my car, no affiliation).

what are your previous cars and/or track day experience? it's jumping into the deep end but I don't think you'll drown, especially with prior track experience.

as for the car, a well maintained GT3 with 15k miles is just broken in. make sure an advanced service schedule was done on a car that was tracked heavily.

as for as costly mechanical issues, again it depends on how it was used and maintained but there are no massive issues with a 6-GT3. I think the weak link is the rear diff, a lot of cars have an LSD upgrade. I tracked mine a lot with no issues.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Warger
AutoX

Thank You!

That is beautiful, but i would rather something more stock that hasn't been tracked as much, I would like to turn what ever porsche i get into my own piece of art if you know what i'm saying.

I currently have an audi s4 b5 with minor mods, but its at the shop at the moment because my turbos blew. That is a big reason why I don't want to go with a 996 turbo, I am scared that the turbo's will pop again. This has been one of the worst experiences of my life. This is why I would like to go naturally aspirated.

I have been on the track five times, I would of been on a lot more if I didn't have problems with my car. Two out of the five times I had to tow it back. I need a car that is reliable that wont break on me and I think porsche is the way to go.

I have been reading about the diff issues, but if that is one of the only issues I am fine with that. Every car has it weakness.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:40 PM
SoCalDan
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 70 Posts

Warger,

I have an '04 with over 45k miles, no track time, but the car gets DRIVEN the way it should. I've had to replace the oil pressure sender ($100) and.... well, that's it. LSD has no issues and car has original clutch with plenty of life left. Regular oil changes and other fluids, preventative maintenance, inspections, etc.

It's a very rewarding car to drive and will make you a better driver.

-Daniel
Old 11-23-2012, 08:08 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by Warger
Thank You!

That is beautiful, but i would rather something more stock that hasn't been tracked as much, I would like to turn what ever porsche i get into my own piece of art if you know what i'm saying.

I currently have an audi s4 b5 with minor mods, but its at the shop at the moment because my turbos blew. That is a big reason why I don't want to go with a 996 turbo, I am scared that the turbo's will pop again. This has been one of the worst experiences of my life. This is why I would like to go naturally aspirated.

I have been on the track five times, I would of been on a lot more if I didn't have problems with my car. Two out of the five times I had to tow it back. I need a car that is reliable that wont break on me and I think porsche is the way to go.

I have been reading about the diff issues, but if that is one of the only issues I am fine with that. Every car has it weakness.
Understand your fears about tt cars based on what you have just gone threw. I blew 1.5 RX-7 tt motors which was my first boosted car ever back in 92, traded the car after warranty replaced the motor for the next year model 1994, drove it hard for 31k miles and weeks after I sold it, the buyer let me know warranty was putting another motor in the car.

I stepped into the turbo world again in 07 with a 996tt and nothing has been more reliable than that car for the past 5+ years and 27k miles of which 19k of them have been power enhancements up to the 575/650 hp/tq levels. This is my DD now but up until a month ago was my HPDE warrior 10 per year.

Just picked up the gt3 and have had it out on track 2 days now with about 2 sessions per day. Love the car in every way, it is extremely PURE with all its driving eccentricities. Light, nimble and quiet if you want it to be, but then can put on a nice GROWL if your in that kind of mood.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:45 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

My 2004 GT3 is my second Porsche. First was a black 2001 Twin Turbo Monster. The car in the link above is what you want, but you don't know it yet.

I had a great friend of mine offer to sell me one set up very similar to that one in the link for just a little less than that price, but I passed because I wanted something more tame, because I have two other track oriented cars. Little did I know...

Good luck with your search. The prices on most of these 996 GT32s are running in the $50s so you
re squarely in the price point.

Mike
Old 11-23-2012, 09:45 PM
oldskews4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another B5 S4er jumping ship to Porsche world. Welcome!
Old 11-24-2012, 12:08 AM
KJinDC
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep. I had a B5 S4 from 2000 until 2010. When i sold it to my buddy, it still had original turbos with over 100K miles despite the APR chip, downpipes, and frequent track use between 2001 and 2004. I miss that car! I also tracked a 996TT between 2003 and 2005. It's bone stock but its been mechanically reliable to this very day.

The 996GT3 is nothing at all like either of those cars. Welcome to the club!

-KJ
Old 11-24-2012, 03:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,675 Likes on 2,333 Posts

b5s4 b6s4 all problematic gauge compared to gt3
u will love it once u drop the AD crutch
welcome to THE club.
Audi haha, had 4, never again.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:11 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

No mention of coolant fittings yet? In my opinion fixing the coolant fittings is required preventative maintenance if you intend to track the car. It requires the motor to be pulled to repair them.

Other than that and LSD which has been mentioned the cars are relatively bullet proof.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:01 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Warner

Even though I bought cpo with only 12 k miles. Shocks were shot. 2 syncros bad. LSD shot. WarrAnty only covered syncros. In retrospect should have gotten ppi from separate shop (duh). Even though car was cpo. It was good excuse though as I upgraded shocks LSD and tranny. But it did take awhile to figure out the shock issue after 3 shops. If you are not mechanically inclined like me you really need a shop that works on lots of gt3's to be of much help. My issue has been shop issues. The car is solid. Engine built like a tank.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:33 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warger, if you are going to track the car 8-10 times a year you are much better off with the 3-6. The motor/dry sump set up is much more suited to track duty; especially if you plan on keeping the car awhile.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Warger
AutoX

SoCalDan,
That is amazing, I would love to see you drive your gt3 on the road like you would on the track!
Old 11-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Warger
AutoX

Originally Posted by tguaturbo
Understand your fears about tt cars based on what you have just gone threw. I blew 1.5 RX-7 tt motors which was my first boosted car ever back in 92, traded the car after warranty replaced the motor for the next year model 1994, drove it hard for 31k miles and weeks after I sold it, the buyer let me know warranty was putting another motor in the car.

I stepped into the turbo world again in 07 with a 996tt and nothing has been more reliable than that car for the past 5+ years and 27k miles of which 19k of them have been power enhancements up to the 575/650 hp/tq levels. This is my DD now but up until a month ago was my HPDE warrior 10 per year.

Just picked up the gt3 and have had it out on track 2 days now with about 2 sessions per day. Love the car in every way, it is extremely PURE with all its driving eccentricities. Light, nimble and quiet if you want it to be, but then can put on a nice GROWL if your in that kind of mood.
tguaturbo,
That is amazing, I am so surprised to hear that your 996tt has been reliable with upgrades, but then again i am new to the Porsche game. I do drive my vehicles fairly hard and I need something strong to the bone that wont break. What do you think will be best for my case since you have had both, 996 gt3 or 996tt?
Old 11-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Warger
AutoX

Originally Posted by Mikelly
My 2004 GT3 is my second Porsche. First was a black 2001 Twin Turbo Monster. The car in the link above is what you want, but you don't know it yet.

I had a great friend of mine offer to sell me one set up very similar to that one in the link for just a little less than that price, but I passed because I wanted something more tame, because I have two other track oriented cars. Little did I know...

Good luck with your search. The prices on most of these 996 GT32s are running in the $50s so you
re squarely in the price point.

Mike
How did you like the 996tt in terms of reliability ?

Thank you for the luck, I'm going to need it!

Quick Reply: New Buyer 996 GT3.