996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Pedal

Old 07-03-2013, 12:52 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder why they stop carrying it. I guess Rennline is their preferred supplier.

What made you choose GSR over Rennline?! Just curious..
Old 07-03-2013, 08:33 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
I wonder why they stop carrying it. I guess Rennline is their preferred supplier.

What made you choose GSR over Rennline?! Just curious..
I've seen stuff come and go from the Tarett web site over the years; you see a product that you like and it's gone when you decide to order it later. This is what happened here, so I sent them an e-mail looking for this pedal.

I just prefer the simplicity of the GSR pedal. I'm sure the Rennline quality is excellent, as always, but I prefer simplicity in build and look.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:35 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

I do like the GSR's pedal itself better (smooth surface), but I guess it retains the original box's plastic hinge. I have not had problem with mine so I haven't had a chance to look at the area yet, but I guess Rennline's unit replaces the hinge completely. So to be, that's a difference in design. I don't know whether that's needed or not, however.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:51 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

I know what you are saying, but can't comment since I haven't taken mine apart yet. I 'assume' that the pedal is all that's needed to make the system indestructible

I do know that when I put my foot down in anger, I feel a bit of rocking in the pedal, so if it breaks before I replace it, I'll be ready. Apparently a 30-minute job.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:27 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Installed the GSR pedal today and it's very simple. Also put on the SRP covers while in there. They had been on my desk for 2 years after all.

Looking at the OEM part, it's obvious that the weak link is the pedal-side hinge, the light plastic rings that break off (mine were fine). The part of the hinge that stays with the original assembly is a plastic shaft that is strong enough not to break (top right in the picture).

Therefore, there is no need to replace the whole assembly a-la-Rennline, just doing GSR pedal is sufficient to ensure many years of flat-out bliss.

As you can see on the picture below, the hinge part of the gas pedal does separate from the pedal, and there is a part number stamped on it. Not sure if this part can be ordered, but if it can, it would be a nice spare to have, just in case. PN is 996 423 193 01
Attached Images   
Old 07-19-2013, 05:44 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FFaust
I just prefer the simplicity of the GSR pedal. I'm sure the Rennline quality is excellent, as always, but I prefer simplicity in build and look.
I also like the fact that it's NOT adjustable; one less thing for me to do and worry about
Old 07-19-2013, 06:01 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Will have to order one in the near future for sure.. ! Thanks for the feedback!

A quick question when setting the stop on the pedal, though. How do you know if that's enough travel for 100% throttle? (Since it is all done electronically now..)
Old 07-19-2013, 08:05 PM
serickson
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been very happy with the GSR pedal. Installation was simple and no more side to side wiggle. The smooth surface is not an issue. If I had any issue it would be getting use to the wider width. When braking hard, my foot needs to be over more so I do not accidentally press the gas pedal. Noticed this when down shifting heal/toe. Great product!

Steve
Old 07-19-2013, 10:59 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cfjan
A quick question when setting the stop on the pedal, though. How do you know if that's enough travel for 100% throttle? (Since it is all done electronically now..)
I am/was wondering the same thing. The pedal comes pre-adjusted at 20mm, and it "looks" ok. I guess that you could always check the other end of the cable and ensure that it goes full travel. I couldn't be bothered, and will see how it goes.

By "looks ok" I mean that when pushing the pedal all the way in against the stop, it looks as though the push rod is bottomed out.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:06 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

I wonder if there's a way to get the throttle position read out when using Durametric or dealer software. Or maybe the ECU is setup so that the last few travel on the potentiometer is treated the same as full throttle, to prevent this type of situation.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:33 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Did the install today.. getting car ready for the new season!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle Pedal