Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moton Clubsport vs. Ohlins Road and Track?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Hard Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are also a mcs dealer
Old 10-24-2012, 07:50 PM
zhupanov
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Horizontally Opposed Man
I have the 16 way doubles from Motion Control.Running 850 F and 1000R springs with a tender spring.The car is completely pleasant on. The street and awesome on the track .Very happy with the MCS stuff and Lex is extremely knowledgeable .
Could you please elaborate on the comfort level on the street, in particular, in comparison with stock GT3 suspension. My experience with Ohlins on Evo has been that in the recommended Ohlins settings (10 clicks off of the hardest setting out of 30 total) the suspension was a little less comfortable on the street than OEM, but made the car handle much better. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:58 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I think the biggest difference is the use of tender springs. I took mine off and loved the improvement on the track, but felt the stiffness on the street. Realize that you will have to compromise somewhere. I use 800/1000# with Moton Club Sport.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:13 PM
zhupanov
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
I think the biggest difference is the use of tender springs. I took mine off and loved the improvement on the track, but felt the stiffness on the street. Realize that you will have to compromise somewhere. I use 800/1000# with Moton Club Sport.
Would it be correct to conclude from what you said that:
softer springs than OEM => more comfort less performance
harsher springs than OEM => less comfort more performance
and that, therefore, there is no way to achieve my original goal of:
more comfort, more performance
no matter what kit I would go with?
Thanks very much!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the older Moton club sports 2ways with 900/1100 springs and think it's comfortable on the street and great on track. When driving home from track days my girlfriend can sleep and that's with the bucket seats that do not recline.
Sometimes you hit a bump like the seem just before over passes and the car launches in the air, but the girlfriend falls right back to sleep.
I think it's fine.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:54 AM
Horizontally Opposed Man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MCS comfort level on street

I may not be the best person to answer this question!I grew up racing MGAs and such and the only car I have ever owned that I felt was HARSH was a 3 series BMW that had a badly matched set of aftermarket lowering springs.Its been years since my car had the true stock setup and to me it was fine on the street the only thing that ever makes this car uncomfortable on the street is an alignment with overly aggressive front toe .Then you have a twitchy road camber hypersensitive busy driver .
It's probably good to step back here and think about what a 996 GT-3 is which is an absolutely straight up drivers car .Its not ever going to be a Lexus (thank you God).
I never find my self saying gee this thing is uncomfortable with the current 850F 1000R with tender springs .I would go with exactly this set up again I would highly recommend the Motion Control Stuff and you should call Lex and tell him what you are looking for he knows his stuff.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:06 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,494 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by 4porsh
I have the older Moton club sports 2ways with 900/1100 springs and think it's comfortable on the street and great on track. When driving home from track days my girlfriend can sleep and that's with the bucket seats that do not recline.
Sometimes you hit a bump like the seem just before over passes and the car launches in the air, but the girlfriend falls right back to sleep.
I think it's fine.
900/1100, insane.
girl friend, you got a good one.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:14 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I strongly recommend finding a GT3 expert in your area FRIST that has experience setting up these cars.... Brand should then be SECOND based on what the person sells....

Proper set-up is king.

My $0.02,
-B
Old 10-25-2012, 09:02 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Since I had about 30 min this morning to reflect on this topic on my commute into work in my GT3 I thought I'd add a couple more thoughts.

My setup: JRZ 3-way adjustables, 600lb front 750lb rear with 150lb tenders on each corner as well. I drive my car to work once or twice a week I actually enjoy hopping in the thing at 6:00am and taking the long way to work I find it's the best possible way for me to start out the morning.

Other than very abrupt transitions in pavement I swear the car rides better than stock with the shocks set on their soft settings, yet it still transforms into an animal at the track. Despite my spring rates being lower than some that 600lb front spring is still nearly 2.5x the OEM front rate given that I'd say it rides like a dream on the street. I've riden in Chuck's car with 800/1000lb springs and no tenders and the way it transitions into the turns compared to mine is night and day better however I don't think I can personally make that compromise given the street use that my car still sees.

Andy

Last edited by AudiOn19s; 10-25-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:33 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

I agree with what has been said above. You can improve over stock easily. But you will find a limit in how good a street car you can make it, and how good a track car you can make it. Andy's car is excellent on the track, but not as good as mine in some turns. However, his is MUCH better on the street, where I drive mine infrequently. We've both found the sweet spot for what our goals are. I must say, I am amazed at how good his car feels on the track...very little track compromise, IMHO.
I think it is the tenders rather than the main spring rate that makes the most difference on the street. They are also the thing that takes the edge away from rapid track transitions. But get someone who will be able to calculate the combined spring rates when using tenders. It is not simple.
You should try to get a ride in many cars with different set ups, or find a a guru who can listen to your goals, and give you what you want.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:57 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Another less expensive option could give similar benefits without the complexity and high cost. The idea of re-value stocks and new springs. This gives a better ride on the track and on the street and is less than 1/2 the cost. Not as flexible as the options outlined here, but you will get a lot of the same benefits. I did this to my car and it is much better on the track. Many folks do this upgrade and all are very happy. The best thing is to get to know the car before doing an upgrade like this.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:13 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Good suggestion.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 450 Likes on 210 Posts

I'm running these Ohlins 3 way adjustables on my Manthey Mk1 996 GT3 :

The car is only used on the street. It runs on Pilot Sport Cups. The spring rates are stock Mk 1 (for compliance)

When the dampers are cold, they're firmer (almost borderline harsh) But with a few miles to warm them through, they're superb.
With the Ohlins fitted the car has lost its 911'ness, it's chassis is so well damped and balanced that it feels superior to a Gen 1 997 GT3/RS (but waaaay more visceral, engaging and fun to drive)

Not cheap, but highly recommended.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:52 AM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have motons on my car, can't remember my spring rates but it's really firm

If you are doing 12-20 track days I would suggest you sacrifice street comfort. You'll have so much more fun on track with a dialed in setup that a bit of bounce on the street won't matter
Old 01-18-2013, 05:00 PM
BigTont
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Atgani
I'm running these Ohlins 3 way adjustables on my Manthey Mk1 996 GT3 :

The car is only used on the street. It runs on Pilot Sport Cups. The spring rates are stock Mk 1 (for compliance)

When the dampers are cold, they're firmer (almost borderline harsh) But with a few miles to warm them through, they're superb.
With the Ohlins fitted the car has lost its 911'ness, it's chassis is so well damped and balanced that it feels superior to a Gen 1 997 GT3/RS (but waaaay more visceral, engaging and fun to drive)

Not cheap, but highly recommended.
Atgani - Who supplied and set these up for you (if you don't mind me asking)? As I am very interested in a set.

I am looking to upgrade my suspension (6RS). I was originally planning on just getting the standard shocks refurbed (still might), I have no reason to think anything wrong with them, as car has had an easy life, but I just want it to be perfect.

Started thinking if i am going to spend the money might as put it towards upgrading the suspension. Intention being to improve compliance/ride for street driving, whilst having the ability to adjust/stiffen up for occasional track use.

Currently looking at JRZ-RS Pro, Moton Clubsport, MCS 2way Customs and trying to figure out the Ohlins options as well.

I'm based in the UK, but go to the US a lot on business (mostly Houston area), so as these parts tend to be cheaper in the US, any recommendations for dealers that I could spk to in TX or US dealers that could deliver to my office/hotel much appreciated. Obviously looking for a dealer that would be able to customise valving/spring rates to suit my application.

Thanks

Last edited by BigTont; 01-19-2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: more info

Quick Reply: Moton Clubsport vs. Ohlins Road and Track?