Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum-103/)
-   -   Moton Clubsport vs. Ohlins Road and Track? (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/722745-moton-clubsport-vs-ohlins-road-and-track.html)

zhupanov 10-20-2012 07:40 PM

Moton Clubsport vs. Ohlins Road and Track?

Folks,

I plan to use my just-purchased 2004 GT3 for DD as well as 12-20 track outings a year. My goals in considering coil-over swap are:

1) To noticeably increase the comfort level of street driving
2) To make sure the car performs at least as well as with OEM setup, preferably better

I hope to achieve this by installing an adjustable after-market coil-over kit, and to re-adjust it for each activity (DD vs. track) appropriately.

My prior experience with the amazing transformation of Evo X, resulting from installing Ohlins Road and Track coil-over kit on it, makes me very biased in favor of Ohlins. Also, singly-adjustable design of Ohlins attracts me due to its simplicity. Further, Ohlins seems to be considerably cheaper, though it is not clear to me whether extra components need to be purchased, or whether GT3 already has all necessary parts (e.g., camber plates, etc.).

In order of diminishing weight my decision will be guided by:
1) attainable increase in ride comfort
2) attainable performance level at the track
3) price

Please advise!

Hard Motorsport 10-21-2012 01:18 PM

Have you considered motion control? We have had great success with them.

HiWind 10-21-2012 03:10 PM

Welcome Z - as far as first questions go that's a pretty good one ;)

I'm no expert and I've just started reading more about suspension recently - but it seems that you need to chose between road and track.

If springs are stiff - good for track - no way the simple click of the adjustable can soften that though in my experience. I'd love to hear I'm wrong. If I am its gonna cost serious $$ - like Intrax or similar.

85Gold 10-21-2012 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hard Motorsport (Post 9935244)
Have you considered motion control? We have had great success with them.

+1 I have a set on my 6 and they are awesome. I have no experience with Ohlins so I can't compare them directly but Lex Carson at MCS is awesome with customer service. ;)

Peter

Vonschmidt 10-22-2012 10:26 PM

The Clubsport system properly balanced, and Dyno run on the system to insur the suspension has the correct frequency is the most important. What part of the country or world are you in.

zhupanov 10-22-2012 10:41 PM

I am in San Francisco Bay Area

Horizontally Opposed Man 10-22-2012 10:53 PM

I have the 16 way doubles from Motion Control.Running 850 F and 1000R springs with a tender spring.The car is completely pleasant on. The street and awesome on the track .Very happy with the MCS stuff and Lex is extremely knowledgeable .

wanna911 10-22-2012 11:28 PM

Probably much of what you think about Moton is due to the person who now owns Motion Control. Lex was the primary contact and known and beloved by much of autosport in the US. Moton was bought out by another company and were in shambles with missing or outdated parts etc.

You can't really go wrong with anything Lex is involved in. You will find hundreds of racers and car people that swear by him and for good reason. Lex has taken his many years of experience selling, rebuilding and advising people on setups and started his own company from scratch. I'd go with Motion Control over Moton. Ohlins are some good stuff too though.

mooty 10-22-2012 11:31 PM

since you are in SF.
go www.tcdesignfab.com
email tony, he sells MCS (aka moton) and he will advise you and install with proper set up/spring etc. unless you can drive faster than he does (not many can), just let him do the thinking and be done with it. too much thinking and 2nd guessing only hurts your own brain. just have him do it.

996FLT6 10-23-2012 02:23 AM

^ He builds great cages!!! : ). Mike

cfjan 10-23-2012 10:56 AM

Has any one tried the Ohlins setup? (The new R&T line) The front and rear spring rates difference is larger than most (400 lb/in front and 800 lb/in back).. from reading the forum here, it sounds like most keeps the difference in the 200 lb/in range front to back?

KOAN 10-23-2012 11:05 AM

I've had Motons on my last and current Porsche, and couldn't be happier. I would go with Motion Control and Lex if I were to do it for another car now. I have heard excellent things about Ohlins, but not much with the GT3. Having a guru with a HUGE amount of car specific experience would trump a small difference in adjustability or perceived quality. You probably won't go wrong with Ohlins if you have the proper set up help. I wouldn't know where to find that for Ohlins. I have heard nothing but praise for Lex for about a decade. Steve Weiner in Portland is also a great resource, although I have not heard from him recently.

AudiOn19s 10-23-2012 02:16 PM

Don't forget JRZ in this discussion.

If it were me making this decision it'd be between JRZ or MCS only at this point.

Andy

85Gold 10-23-2012 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck Price (Post 9940377)
I've had Motons on my last and current Porsche, and couldn't be happier. I would go with Motion Control and Lex if I were to do it for another car now. I have heard excellent things about Ohlins, but not much with the GT3. Having a guru with a HUGE amount of car specific experience would trump a small difference in adjustability or perceived quality. You probably won't go wrong with Ohlins if you have the proper set up help. I wouldn't know where to find that for Ohlins. I have heard nothing but praise for Lex for about a decade. Steve Weiner in Portland is also a great resource, although I have not heard from him recently.

Steve's still around. I just got my MCS from him and we have been working long distance on setup. it tells you something when a FL boy buys his shocks in OR. ;)

Peter

HiWind 10-23-2012 02:59 PM

+996 - Steve's a champ - super helpful and level headed when it comes to helping keep your balances on the slippery slope that is upgrades