Sponsored by:

996 GT3 suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:22 AM
tguaturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 GT3 suspension questions

Spoke with Ira at Tarret yesterday and he said befor I even put the car on the track I should upgrade the toe steer bits? I have a ton of RSS stuff such as dogbones,toe steer rear linkage,lower front/rear control arms,trg adj front and rear drop links,tarret ft camber plates. These are all for the 996 tt application but would like to know what parts might transfer over to the GT3 prior to selling my tt? All these bits are 1-1.5 years old and in good shape and I have cheap labor so would it make sense to transfer?

I don't guess I can transfer my Switzer Exhaust with no cats from my tt could I? The new car is quiet compared to my tt.

Granted I was on 8yr old ft and 6 year old rear PS2's and the ride compared to my tt which is really dialed in was kinda soft and bouncy in the new car. I wonder how much of that is the old tires or alignment and sway bar settings. The prior owner was running something like negative 1.5 front and 2.0 rear or was it -2 ft and -2.5 rear? I have to look back. I think he has a bit of toe in on the rear but I run neg 3 ft and neg 2.5 rear in my tt and it feels alot better.

I will do some searching but for now, I would love to hear about what a 98% track car that is going to run on a extreme summer street tire yoko ado8 for a while should run with respect to allignment, rake, sway settings,ride height on stock shocks?

Thanks!

Tom
Old 10-17-2012, 11:53 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 460 Posts

Tom

I can't answer the suspension bits swapping over but since I run AD08 on the track stock shocks this is what I have found for alignment..

Front
-2.8 camber
0 toe
Sway bar full stiff

Rear
-2.0 camber
.2 toe in
Sway bar 2 off full stiff

Ride height as low as possible without inducing bump steer.

Peter
Old 10-17-2012, 12:50 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Depending on the springs and settings on your TT PSS10s, the GT3 might seem less dialed in. The stock springs on the GT3 are around 230 / 540, which might seem a little soft if your turbo was more stiffly sprung. I don't think the tires would play much roll in how soft/cushy the car felt.

There is a pretty significant knowledge base regarding alignment. Most folks start with the Kussmaul (spelled lots of different ways) settings and then modify to style. Your research should turn up plenty of reading.

Oh and CONGRATS on the new car!

-td
Old 10-17-2012, 01:17 PM
MTB
Racer

Tom,
You can transfer all RSS parts. They will fit. You may consider getting the front toe steer from RSS.
You can sell the tarett front mount as your GT3 comes with monoball.
For the TRG drop links, rear is a bit short, but will fit. Front is curved but will also work. I used the same links for 2 yrs.

Mike
Old 10-17-2012, 02:22 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Tom

I can't answer the suspension bits swapping over but since I run AD08 on the track stock shocks this is what I have found for alignment..

Front
-2.8 camber
0 toe
Sway bar full stiff

Rear
-2.0 camber
.2 toe in
Sway bar 2 off full stiff

Ride height as low as possible without inducing bump steer.

Peter
Peter,

Is your car mostly track or do you dd it? Just wondering if that is a track or agressive street align?

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:23 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by himself
Depending on the springs and settings on your TT PSS10s, the GT3 might seem less dialed in. The stock springs on the GT3 are around 230 / 540, which might seem a little soft if your turbo was more stiffly sprung. I don't think the tires would play much roll in how soft/cushy the car felt.

There is a pretty significant knowledge base regarding alignment. Most folks start with the Kussmaul (spelled lots of different ways) settings and then modify to style. Your research should turn up plenty of reading.

Oh and CONGRATS on the new car!

-td
I will be leaning on your skill to help me learn how to drive this thing! Looking forward to it. Thanks for all your help on my hunting.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:25 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by MTB
Tom,
You can transfer all RSS parts. They will fit. You may consider getting the front toe steer from RSS.
For the TRG drop links, rear is a bit short, but will fit. Front is curved but will also work. I used the same links for 2 yrs.

Mike
Wow Mike,

That is impressive and I just came in way below on my mod budget and as a result might be willing to sell my tt for less.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 10-17-2012, 07:08 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by MTB
Tom,

Mike
great info Mike, do you mind sharing why only 2 years? Did you have any issues? Guessing you went from a 996tt to gt3?

thx

Tom
Old 10-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

Tom, I'm going to go against the grain here... As you've seen with the prices of these 996s, both TT and GT3, mods don't transfer to resale. It's my understanding that beyond seats/rollbar, the "big" things that are worth spending money on are upgraded LSD, Toe links and lockouts, cupcar lip, and an assortment of wedges for the rear wing (4 and 8 degrees both). Beyond that, a few control arm spacers and tires... Drive it, and enjoy it. You could certainly pull the RSS stuff off the twin turbo to transfer over, and hey, that makes decent economic sense since you have the car already. But if I were going to start tracking Sascha, I'd simply start with the above list and see how you do. Remember, it's about the driver and his talent.

Mike
Old 10-17-2012, 08:29 PM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Tom, I'm going to go against the grain here... As you've seen with the prices of these 996s, both TT and GT3, mods don't transfer to resale. It's my understanding that beyond seats/rollbar, the "big" things that are worth spending money on are upgraded LSD, Toe links and lockouts, cupcar lip, and an assortment of wedges for the rear wing (4 and 8 degrees both). Beyond that, a few control arm spacers and tires... Drive it, and enjoy it. You could certainly pull the RSS stuff off the twin turbo to transfer over, and hey, that makes decent economic sense since you have the car already. But if I were going to start tracking Sascha, I'd simply start with the above list and see how you do. Remember, it's about the driver and his talent.

Mike
Good advice Mike. I guess the issue is that I was kinda dissapointed in the overall ride of the car home which was all highway and a test drive prior to doing the deal. To me when compared to my tt it felt a bit bouncy, wobbely and not sure footed or planted at all. I think the neg camber might have been more on rear than front based on what I saw on the paperwork. Wow was steering super light and extremely responsive, clutch pretty heavy like in my 04 viper. No lw flywheel which I miss, revs seemed slow to me but no chatter that comes with it.

What I guess I am trying to come back to is that really raw and stable feeling which I have in the tt. I felt some raw in the 3 but certainly not stable. My other issue is that I did not keep my tt oem toe steer kit, dog bones or rear control arms so the thought was if the rss stuff would help the overall feel of the car out on the track and not hurt it, why not, and then use the bits that I dont have for my tt bc I did not keep them from the gt3 for the tt with exception to the front control arms which I do have.

Keep the good advice coming!

Tom
Old 10-17-2012, 08:38 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tguaturbo
Peter,

Is your car mostly track or do you dd it? Just wondering if that is a track or agressive street align?

Thanks for your help!
Tom

That was my track setup that I drove on street and One Lap. I have since moved to MCS with 550/750# springs and upped my rear camber to -2.4. The law of untended consequence now requires that I get the rest of the rubber out of the rear (LCA's, Dog Bones, and hockey pucks) as the rear of the car is twitchy. Still running AD08 though.

Peter
Old 10-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

Get a decent alignment after you install the RSS bits and re-assess. You may also want to think about a different spring rate. My car is BONE stock, and it is twitchy, but I wouldn't refer to it as bouncy. You may want to adjust the swaybars as well. Mine have been adjusted a little tighter which helps with bounce and joumce.

Mike
Old 10-17-2012, 08:49 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

On mine when I was running stock supension except rear toe arms the front will never feel real good especially in turns like 17 at Sebring it will stick but bouncy. The rear when properly aligned will stick well and carry a good slip angle. You can get the OEM shocks revalved with stiffer springs from Bilstein, I believe Dan Jacobs at Harry Dog Garage keeps some in stock with exchange. Much less expensive option than the MCS or JRZ route.

Peter
Old 10-18-2012, 01:45 AM
MTB
Racer

Originally Posted by tguaturbo
Originally Posted by MTB
Tom,

Mike
great info Mike, do you mind sharing why only 2 years? Did you have any issues? Guessing you went from a 996tt to gt3?

thx

Tom
Tom,
I actually have the links for 6 years 4 yrs with my old 4s, 2 yrs with the Gt3 and still using them. Until today, the hemi joints are still tight.

Mike
Old 10-18-2012, 01:50 AM
tguaturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by 85Gold
On mine when I was running stock supension except rear toe arms the front will never feel real good especially in turns like 17 at Sebring it will stick but bouncy. The rear when properly aligned will stick well and carry a good slip angle. You can get the OEM shocks revalved with stiffer springs from Bilstein, I believe Dan Jacobs at Harry Dog Garage keeps some in stock with exchange. Much less expensive option than the MCS or JRZ route.

Peter
Yes, I have heard about Dan Jacobs at Harry Dog Garage and his core exchange. It is in the future plans. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 suspension questions