Sponsored by:

Another Stock Size Tire Thread…

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:02 AM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Another Stock Size Tire Thread…

I spent last weekend at the track for the first time with my new to me GT3. The car was amazing and much different than my BMW track rat. I was really disappointed though with the Sumitomo tires on track that the PO had on the car when I bought it. Yea, I know, they weren’t designed for the track. Ideally I’d like to put something like Star Specs or R-S3’s on the car but they don’t come in our stock 18” diameter size. I am also not a fan of the premium price and slightly above average reviews of the Michelins. I expect to take out the GT3 about twice per year to the track then just spirited street driving. The car is my DD but I drive less than 3K per year. Has anyone tried the XL rated Falken Azenis 453's?

http://www.falkentire.com/Tires/Pass...enis-FK-453-41

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Burger
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

No experience with the Falken, but the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 is a good double duty option in stock sizes.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:22 AM
gman3280
Pro

Originally Posted by Burger
No experience with the Falken, but the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 is a good double duty option in stock sizes.
I've heard good things about that tire from the BMW world but in my searching of this forum several have commented that its not a good choice becuase the tire doesn't carry the XL load rating. I don't know enough about tire load ratings to determine on my own if going without an XL rating is a marginal risk that I'm willing to accept.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree Burger,

I run the Advan AD08 in stock sizes on my track/ DE GT3 and I am most impressed with the tire. Great performance on the track, with great performance on the street.

Short story, my last track day (which was a 3 hour drive away) the weather was horrible with really hard rain for one hour of the trip. The tires did a stellar job in evacuating rain from under the tires, ecpecially the wide back tires. I was able to keep up with traffic throughout the whole rain storm. No sliding, spinning, or any nonsense. Participated on 2 days of hard track after adjusting pressures. Than adjust pressures for street use and drive home. No worries.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:21 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 462 Posts

+ 1000 I have run AD08 for years One Lap, track and street, over 8 sets, crisp turn in, outstanding grip for a street tire and like heat. Shoot for no more than 38 psi hot. Azeni do not like heat and I was unimpressed with the XS, which really suck on the wet and wear really fast.

Peter
Old 09-13-2012, 12:24 PM
gman3280
Pro

So what I understand is that the AD08 is pretty good all around. Street, track and in the wet.

What's with all this discussion I've uncovered regarding N or XL rated tires? No basis for concern?

Last edited by gman3280; 09-13-2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-13-2012, 12:54 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

N spec is what Porsche/Michelin use to designate tires they have collaborated on. Most of us have moved forward from that point and run NT01, Hoosier, RA1, etc and never looked back.

Peter
Old 09-13-2012, 12:58 PM
gman3280
Pro

Originally Posted by 85Gold
N spec is what Porsche/Michelin use to designate tires they have collaborated on. Most of us have moved forward from that point and run NT01, Hoosier, RA1, etc and never looked back.

Peter
Great, now know what N means. What about the fact that the tires are not XL load rated? Seems that real world expirence from those that have commented give me the idea there isn't an issue.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Burger
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure. You could call Tire Rack and ask them about load ratings. They have info on their site, but it's not clear what the implications are when going from an XL to an SL, if any for a sports car.

I know for speed rating, they run the tire under load for something like 8 hours at speed to qualify for a specific rating.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:07 PM
gman3280
Pro

I did call Tire Rack. All he could tell me was that the non XL rating still exceeded what Porsche recommended.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:28 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Some OEM Porsche tires are XL rated, and some are not. If sized correctly, all have proper load rating for the car. XL rated tires won't flex as much under lateral stress and as a result are less likely to be subjected to track related temps.

The issue at hand is not one of load capacity as it is the tire's ability to handle the heat it will produce when driven to it's limit. The Sumitomos are really not designed to be track tires as you have seen. They will work, but special care will need to be taken to assure they don't get too hot. We don't sell Falken, so I cannot promise that a 453 will do better, Given it's appearance, stated rubber composition, and reputation - I doubt they will do any better than an HTRZ III will do under the same stresses. I am confident the AD08 will do much better than either of the other two under track-type conditions. It's a much more robust tire with more attention made (construction and rubber compound) to that level of performance.

This is a great example of taking the time to match the tire you buy to the performance level that you can expect out of them. Don't buy a performance summer tire when what you really need is an extreme performance or DOT track tire like Cups or R888's.

Please call me if I can help.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:44 PM
TomGT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the AD-08, them perform great on the street, track, and autocross.
Make sure to flip them for better wear.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:46 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomGT3
Love the AD-08, them perform great on the street, track, and autocross.
Make sure to flip them for better wear.
Something else I have found when you hit around 2/32 left they go away in a big way. You get to practice your counter steering in a big way. Not sure if it is heat cycles or compound change.

Peter
Old 09-14-2012, 09:05 AM
gman3280
Pro

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Some OEM Porsche tires are XL rated, and some are not. If sized correctly, all have proper load rating for the car. XL rated tires won't flex as much under lateral stress and as a result are less likely to be subjected to track related temps.

The issue at hand is not one of load capacity as it is the tire's ability to handle the heat it will produce when driven to it's limit. The Sumitomos are really not designed to be track tires as you have seen. They will work, but special care will need to be taken to assure they don't get too hot. We don't sell Falken, so I cannot promise that a 453 will do better, Given it's appearance, stated rubber composition, and reputation - I doubt they will do any better than an HTRZ III will do under the same stresses. I am confident the AD08 will do much better than either of the other two under track-type conditions. It's a much more robust tire with more attention made (construction and rubber compound) to that level of performance.

This is a great example of taking the time to match the tire you buy to the performance level that you can expect out of them. Don't buy a performance summer tire when what you really need is an extreme performance or DOT track tire like Cups or R888's.

Please call me if I can help.
Damon, I left you a message with my contact info to discuss further.

Thanks everyone else for your comments. Seems that the AD08's are a good option based on real world expirence.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Damon always has good advice ! Hi Damon- speak to you soon!!

Quick Reply: Another Stock Size Tire Thread…