Sponsored by:

need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:10 PM
JohnnyGT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice

Recently I hit a curb at speed in my car. The end result was an upward force to the drivers side front wheel strong enough to break the wheel, break the camber plate, likely damaging most of the suspension components in the front drivers side.
Upon further inspection I see a small stress fracture behind the front sway bar in the aluminum subframe. I also can see the strut tower (where the camber plate mounts) has been slight deformed.
It has been a slow process but the insurance company has opted out of repairing the car and totaled it. The rear wheel also has a slight bend. The cost of new OEM wheels was 4,500 +/- so the repair bill added up quickly.

I purchased the car back from the insurance company and am now trying to figure out what to do with it.. repair it or sell it for parts. Any thoughts?

I just had the LSD rebuilt too.. uhhg
Old 08-27-2012, 11:24 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

rsr kit.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:42 PM
JohnnyGT3
Advanced

RSR kit?? that sounds rather pricey... BTW there is no body damage to the car.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:50 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

It probably is, but since the car would be a salvage, you wouldn't feel as bad cutting it up.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:01 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Rsr kit or not, I think that you should fix the car and enjoy it in the track.
You don't have to pay OEM prices for parts. : )
Old 08-28-2012, 12:44 AM
JohnnyGT3
Advanced

That does look sick... I am afraid a little out of my budget however. I would think if I spent 10-15K getting her back up and runnin would be about the deciding numbers. any leads on a front subframe?
Old 08-28-2012, 01:00 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

If no framed damage just replace the subframe and the suspensions components. U got pics of the damage? Kinda hard to visualize what happened. Mike
Old 08-28-2012, 01:06 AM
JohnnyGT3
Advanced

I will take some pics... there is some frame damage, the shock tower was pushed up a bit. I hear sometimes this will blow out the windshield from the tube that goes from the strut tower to the firewall that attaches just below the windshield. This did not happen. From what I understand the weak part of the car is just behind the seats, it will buckle there and a noticable small crease will appear at the rear quater panel just behind the door. I cannot see that but hear you need to remove the seats and inspect under the carpet just behind the seat area for a ripple. I have learned a lot in the last month!!
Old 08-28-2012, 01:09 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Fix it, strip it, make it a track car... or sell it to someone who will. Whatever you do, please don't let it die.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:13 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyGT3
...a noticable small crease will appear at the rear quater panel just behind the door...
I have seen 2 996 GT3s exhibit that crease this year alone, and from hits that did not seem that serious. In fact, one of the drivers replace the damaged wheel and drove home.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:16 AM
JohnnyGT3
Advanced

I drove it after this hit with the broken camber plate as well after changing the wheel not knowing the extent of the damage and did very well with it but could tell something was seroiusly wrong.
I do not want to let it die.. that is why I retrieved it from the salvage yard the day it arrived there. If anyone is interested in it, I have had some changes other than the car recently. I would like to get out of the car for a while. I also have a very new set of OZ wheels, they were not on the car when this happened. club sport seats (leather) and a 996 spec wing from getty with deck lid and everything you need to pop the stock decklid off and apply this. Pretty easy to swap back and forth if you wanted to. It has the stainless roll bar in it too.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Recently I hit a curb at speed in my car. The end result was an upward force to the drivers side front wheel strong enough to break the wheel, break the camber plate, likely damaging most of the suspension components in the front drivers side.
Upon further inspection I see a small stress fracture behind the front sway bar in the aluminum subframe. I also can see the strut tower (where the camber plate mounts) has been slight deformed.
It has been a slow process but the insurance company has opted out of repairing the car and totaled it. The rear wheel also has a slight bend. The cost of new OEM wheels was 4,500 +/- so the repair bill added up quickly.

I purchased the car back from the insurance company and am now trying to figure out what to do with it.. repair it or sell it for parts. Any thoughts?

I just had the LSD rebuilt too.. uhhg
Put a stop payment on the check and tell insurance company you changed your mind.

Why anyone would want to try to salvage a car that an insurance company has deemed a total loss is beyond me.

As for parts... who wants to make his house look like a car junk yard? You can be years parting that stuff out.

You might be able to minimize your losses.

Give Oklahoma Foreign a call (and there are similar businesses in other areas of the country) and see if it is interested in your car. I had an 08 Cayman S that I retained ownership of when it was declared a total loss, which goes against my advice above, but there's a long story what goes with my decision.

Anyhow I called and was directed to send some pics. Afterwards I was offered $17K or thereabouts for the car (same value insurance assigned the car after giving me a letter it had declared the car a total loss).

I noted the offer and took the car to auction yard that handles around 90K cars per year and holds salvage car auctions every week. I put the car up for auction and realized over $20K upon the auction sale of the car. Thus I didn't have to use Oklahoma Foreign but it was nice to have that as a fall back. Oh, had the auction price not reached a level acceptable to me I didn't have to sell the car.

If you want to repair the car -- sit down for it is going to cost you (which is why the car was declared a total loss) -- and get in touch with a body shop that is qualified to repair these cars and go over what will be necessary.

If you want I can cover some of this but not in this post.

I think after you hear what the shop has to say you'll give Oklahoma Foreign a call.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:03 PM
JohnnyGT3
Advanced

Mr Macster.. I did not retain the car without my due diligence.. I have offers for up to 7-8 thousand above my salvage cost... its not a cayman.
You can get what I paid in salvage for the engine and tranny alone.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Mr Macster.. I did not retain the car without my due diligence.. I have offers for up to 7-8 thousand above my salvage cost... its not a cayman.
You can get what I paid in salvage for the engine and tranny alone.
"now trying to figure out what to do with it.. repair it or sell it for parts...?"

My opinion is you should have known the answer to your question before you retained the car.

If you can get $7K/$8K above your salvage cost take the money and run. That's a nice quick profit.

Then add that to the other money you received and go find a car that hasn't had a close encounter of the 3rd kind with a curb.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:40 PM
Agena
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Johnny (if that's your real name) nut up and turn it into a dedicated track car. I understand you're a decent driver, so let it rip!

Quick Reply: need advice