Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:24 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Unless you have a hookup to repair inexpensively, or you can repair/dismantle it yourself, then you are better off just taking all the insurance money and buying yourself a new car.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:15 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 74 Posts

The biggerquestion here is what do you really want to do with the car? You bought it back for a reason. I read the posts, but it sounds like you're un-decided. I have a full shop with two lifts and do much of my own wrenching/fabricating/work. So I know what "I" would do. I'd part it out or turn it into a dedicated Salvage track/race car. There is a market for guys who would buy it just because it DOES have a salvage title, for that expressed purpose.

If you don't have the space to store it, the means to work on it, or the connections for parts, I'd cash in and save the headache. But if you have two of the three above, it might be a fun project and you may make a few bucks.

Mike
Old 09-02-2012, 12:13 PM
JohnnyGT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mike.. your right I am undecided. Unfortunatley this situation arose with a few other larger decisions that have taken precidence over the last month!
I can wrench on it a bit and do have a little access to some used parts. I certainly do not have a frame machine though! I keep thinking it might be fun to try to tackle the repairs myself and hunt up the parts. Once I get all of the bolt on parts together I could take it to a frame guy. It would take me back to the days when I was 14 and removed the engine out of my first car, an austin healey. I totaled that too by the way! This speed addiction I have certainly has been an expense over the years.
So right now I am going to sit on it and figure out what to do with it.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 74 Posts

Smartest move you could make. People ask me all the time why it took me 10 years to build that Datsun V8 Rocket I track. It didn't. It took me 10 years of living life to fit it in. If you aren't pressed for time or space, sit on it and figure it out when the time is right.

Mike
Old 09-02-2012, 11:30 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Building a trackcar done rt takes dollars. U won't recoup what u put in. If u 110% into building and keeping it for long haul- smiles outweigh $$$ value. Built mine with only 18k on the clock because it lives on the track-I never looked
backed. Mike

Quick Reply: need advice