Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFGoodrich g Force R1 - 04 GT3 Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Big Al HURT123
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

South Florida. I'll be at homestead this weekend.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:47 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al HURT123
I ended up finding several sets of barely used ALMS yoko slicks. Too cheap to turn down and they worked great on my RS. I'm still planning on the BFG for sometime before the end of the year.
What size slicks are you using? Do you still have ABS in the car? Any issues?

I bought a set of Michelin scrubs in 997.1 Cup sizing (24/64, 27/68), as I was led to believe that this is what previous owner was using without problems. Took them out for a few laps with eyes wide open, and was pretty well able to provoke ice mode on demand...

... So back on topic...

Brought the wheels to the shop at the track to remove the slicks and owner suggested the BFG R1'. I quickly logged on to Rennlist to check out this thread to confirm sizing, and decided to go for it.

Got a set of 245/40 18, and 285/30 18. Took them out for a few laps (end of session), and I LOVED THEM!!!

One lap in and I swear that they were as quick as Hoosiers, well at least they felt really, really good after the Nittos.

Went back to the shop to thank him and give feedback. I said that they were great, but wondered how they would age. He said that they apparently last too long... from a tire-seller's perspective

They are now in the trailer curing, waiting for next time.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:46 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FFaust
Got a set of 245/40 18, and 285/30 18. Took them out for a few laps (end of session), and I LOVED THEM!!!.
Francois,

I assume you mounted them to stock wheel widths 9" Front and 11" rear. How did the rear tire fit the wheel? Not too streched?

I've been running 12" CCW rears and I'm thinking of getting a set of 11" rears to try the BFG's and yoko slicks.

I did run a couple of sessions on the Michelin blues, not sure of the sizes a friend let me use them. They are OMG good, 2.5 seconds better than the Kuhmo's I had on at that same event.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:38 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

8.5" and 11" actually, which is the stock GT3 wheel width. Fitment looked perfect. Recommended wheel width is 8" - 9.5", and 10" - 11".

They were confidence inspiring, and felt very precise on Mosport's fast sweepers. Possibly due to a stiff sidewall?

Yes, I know, and have tasted the Michelin Blues. I got a set of proper-sized scrubs last year and they felt as if they were softly engulfing every little bump and crevice of the track's surface, as if I was pouring molasses down the road. I can only imagine what stickers feel like.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:31 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

YES...we finally have someone with first hand experience on these tires.

Can tell us if there was any balance change in the car you needed to adjust for with the BFG's vs. Nitto's or Hoosiers?

Thank you,
Andy
Old 09-11-2012, 12:44 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Too bad that they don't make a size like 305 or 315 to match the 245 front..
Old 09-11-2012, 12:48 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Originally Posted by cfjan
Too bad that they don't make a size like 305 or 315 to match the 245 front..
on paper their 285 is almost exactly the same tread width as a 315 hoosier. Contact patch should be very similar between the two. Hoosier has more section width (sidewall bulge) but tread with is nearly the same.

Hoping that Francois can confirm this translates to real life too
Old 09-11-2012, 01:01 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

That's very interesting, so 285 might not change the balance of the car then..
Old 09-11-2012, 02:57 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
YES...we finally have someone with first hand experience on these tires.

Can tell us if there was any balance change in the car you needed to adjust for with the BFG's vs. Nitto's or Hoosiers?

Thank you,
Andy
I only did 5 or 6 laps and then needed to come in for my student, but trust me, I REALLY wanted to stay out.

I did Nittos in am then R1' as described, and then put on the Hoosiers for the pm. Hoosiers had approx 7 heat cycles.

No change in balance, everything felt perfect: Hard braking; trail braking, lateral grip, but maybe a bit less slip angle...?

For those who know Mosport, I normally lift hard between T5A and B (right handers) to rotate the car (skid) and line it up for the back straight. This puts me on the inside of any car that is in front of me, ready to put the power down early up the back straight. This works with everything, including the Hoosiers.

The R1' felt grippier, to the point where I might have to revise my technique, and carve the corner more (no lift). Remember though that they were new.

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
on paper their 285 is almost exactly the same tread width as a 315 hoosier. Contact patch should be very similar between the two. Hoosier has more section width (sidewall bulge) but tread with is nearly the same.

Hoping that Francois can confirm this translates to real life too
Compared them to my cousins 315 Hoos, and they were narrower. They were identical in width to my 295 Hoosiers, maybe a bit shorter. I should have taken a picture. If I remember, the fronts were also a touch shorter, I think.

Bottom line: If you have a 996 GT3, and the R1 is available locally, or if it's convenient to you, you should have NO FEAR in getting a set to try it. I'm pretty sure that you will love them as well.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:58 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

BTW, I think that our cars need more front, not more rear tire, but, YMMV.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:00 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Wouldn't mind trying another tire. What's the tread wear rating on the bfg's? Let us know how many hc's before it starts losing grip. Hoo's hoo's don't last long enuf ie 10 hc's for me as far as grip. Mike
Old 10-02-2012, 02:23 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FFaust
BTW, I think that our cars need more front, not more rear tire, but, YMMV.
Wrong, I think that we also need more rear.

I love the R1's. Have used them at VIR and Road Atlanta. They feel grippy and VERY precise, but I "think" that I could use more rubber (in my head?).

They seem to stick plenty, but I don't feel like there is much overhead. Not sure how to put it, but it's not "oh wow, I feel as though I can get away with murder with these". But then, I have the same feeling with my 295 Hoosiers, whereas the Hoosier 315 felt a bit more planted. BUT... when I first got the 315's, they were my first set of Hoosiers, so they left an impression.

The car feels good everywhere, but it's not egging me on to go flat on big downhill corners (Mosport T2, T4, VIR Roller Coaster, Road Atlanta T12)... but this could simply be my self-preservation instinct kicking in.

My driving is improving, so I could also be moving into the upper range of the car's performance envelope, and need to start tweaking stuff... like getting more rubber.

Randy Pobst took me out in my car on Sunday at RA, and on the second lap, the car got loose at the bottom of T12, he got it but then turned at me and said, "needs more wing". So was that all more wing, or could it also be more rubber.

Pics are fronts 245 both, rear 295 Hoosier and 285 R1.
Attached Images   
Old 10-02-2012, 02:38 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Francois, thank you for the update. any guesses on how many heat cycles you'll get out of them based on current wear rates?
Old 10-02-2012, 03:11 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Lots I think. No real wear yet, and that is what others have told me.

The consensus is that they last longer than Hoosiers, but do not wear down. The grip just starts to go away gradually after a while. Similar to the MPSC's?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:21 PM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

what is the size for BF R1 on front of gt3?

Quick Reply: BFGoodrich g Force R1 - 04 GT3 Sizes