Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat removal and radiator cleaning "Done, pics added"

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:06 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, did you go with a straight pipe for now or gutted factory cans?
Old 08-03-2012, 10:02 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnPG
CT03911,

Thanks for posting this information on your cats. I'd been wondering what that rattle was on my car at startup. Sure enough my cats where similar to yours. Now they are out. No more rattle. I'd rather have a cel than knowing they are restricting flow and causing unessary heat. This winter will do exhaust upgrade, something which will allow an easy switch from straight pipes to more stock for the sound restricted tracks.

Cheers
John,
How much mileage does your car have?
Old 08-04-2012, 02:11 PM
CT03911
Banned

The meter man was in fact present at Lime Rock when I ran. I did not see him but my assumption was he would have heard my car. I only ran two sessions as my goal was to test the car.

I really don't think the car is appreciable louder but I just wanted to be clear, he was testing but I do not know if he tested my session on track.

Another point to emphasize, people keep mentioning straight pipes. You cannot put a straight pipe in the place where the factory cat is. Look at a cat. The holes are not on opposite ends of the cat cans.

If you decide to cut the cat out you will end up with a shop having to fabricate a jig to hold the entire piece, cut the cat out and weld in a BENT pipe. That or just fab up a pipe for the whole cat section, but it will have to have various bends too.

This is not actually simple or cheap. Of course Fabspeed has a solution but it is $800.

If you guys meant "straight pipe" in the "no cat" context, then I understand but we may be confusing the term to some.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:19 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SH || NC
John, did you go with a straight pipe for now or gutted factory cans?
Scott, just gutted the cans for now. Had been planning on addressing exhaust this winter. Still on that schedule. Will need to put together a system which will accomodate straight pipe and mufflers for the sound restricted tracks.

Originally Posted by DHI
John,
How much mileage does your car have?
Dave, car has 42,000 miles.

It was good meeting you at Calabogie, looks like I'll see you again at Mont Tremblant in Sept.

BTW, off topic, the fuel pump didn't die at Calabogie it was one of the hoses attached. Not the one which had failed on Scott's car last year. My mechanic hasn't sent a pic of it yet.

When I get the pic I'll post. Going forward I'll have a spare pump in the trailer.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:44 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by CT03911
If you guys meant "straight pipe" in the "no cat" context, then I understand but we may be confusing the term to some.
Yeah, when I say straight pipe I mean 'straight through'.

Originally Posted by JohnPG
BTW, off topic, the fuel pump didn't die at Calabogie it was one of the hoses attached. Not the one which had failed on Scott's car last year. My mechanic hasn't sent a pic of it yet.

When I get the pic I'll post. Going forward I'll have a spare pump in the trailer.
Sorry to hear it John. Yeah, having a whole pump assembly (the revised 996 unit) would be great as a whole fix at the track, then you could repair the damaged unit at another time.

The modular exhaust system sounds like a great idea where you encounter different restrictions; all VB clamps makes for easy 'remove & replace' swaps.

I don't have to worry about that too much for teh tracks I visit, but if I did, I would consider the following setup:Quiet(ish) when you need to be; loud when you don't, and push-button convenience. Not cheap, but would be nice.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:01 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Just stumbled across this post as well John. Near you; perhaps worth checking out. They have turn down tips as well; modular. (link)
Old 08-05-2012, 01:34 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Speedtech can make any number of variations wit/without cats or cans... here is some info from the other forum...

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...ml#post3605830
Old 08-08-2012, 08:49 AM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just re-read this, the startup rattle could be the timing chains tensioners - the chains rattle until the oil fills up and tensions the chains - leave the car a few days and the oil drains out of the tensioners and causes the rattle.

It goes away in a few seconds.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:46 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Originally Posted by StevoUK
Just re-read this, the startup rattle could be the timing chains tensioners - the chains rattle until the oil fills up and tensions the chains - leave the car a few days and the oil drains out of the tensioners and causes the rattle.

It goes away in a few seconds.
Stevo,

The start rattle was definitely the cats. Once they came out rattle was gone. The rattle sound like a couple of tin cans knocking around.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SH || NC
Just stumbled across this post as well John. Near you; perhaps worth checking out. They have turn down tips as well; modular. (link)
The owner of Speedtech is a Rennlister, John D II.
A great guy.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:52 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Originally Posted by Dudley
The owner of Speedtech is a Rennlister, John D II.
A great guy.
Thanks Dave and DHI,

I'll certainly check with Speedtech this winter. A track friend of mine just got an exhaust from them this year. If you go to their site his car is the silver Mk1 in the videos. I'll be with him at WGI on the 24th and take a closer look at the system. What ever I end up with will have to accomodate an open setup and a mufflered setup, most likely using the VB type clamps Scott refered to.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:05 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

I just had my stock cats with 26,000 miles checked (boroscope) and all is good.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:44 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A better answer is that dust is the insulation material from between the inner and out cat casings as these are double skinned and use the insulation for three reasons, noise, quick cat monolith light up times and lastly to reduce surface and radiated heat to minimise the chance of setting fire to grash/scrub if parked in a field.

Have a look at the photo and the 'tan' coloured filling.

Cheers
Jay
Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 PM
CT03911
Banned

I figured a quick update to this thread might help. I did this cat mod last fall. I am not positive how many track days I ran after it but it was a good number.
I have not had and CEL lights. The car runs strong again. I have not been black flagged at our crazy noise sensitive LRP.
From under the car, or in the engine bay, this setup looks stock. I just went to CT emissions testing and had no issues.
I am a bit surprised I never got a CEl all last fall. I do drive some around town, down to get gas after a track wash etc etc. I guess I don't drive it enough around town to trigger a code.
For now, the car has a CT emissions check and is running like new so I am good to go for 2013 season.
I suppose for those of you who drive more street miles this may not work if it eventually throws a code but for me the cat gutting and radiator cleaning last fall has worked really well.
Time will tell this season if I throw a code eventually but getting the performance back and through emissions was my concern.
So far, so good.
I have the original O2 sensors still too.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Wayne K
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a noise in the exhaust on cold start for usually less than a minute but was told that it was an air pump for emissions.

Quick Reply: Cat removal and radiator cleaning "Done, pics added"