Sponsored by:

Advice on brake disc and pads 996 GT3 mk1

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:06 PM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Advice on brake disc and pads 996 GT3 mk1

I have searched and read quite a few threads on discs and pads now, but most of them are about the 996 GT3 mk2 and most of the aftermarket upgrades are not available for the mk1 using the original 4 piston calipers since the disc size are 330mm.

I would like pads that last long, dust as little as possible, be usable both on track and street and don't mind if they are better than the OEM pads. Low noise and no squeak would be nice as well. OEM has been good to me on track so far, but having to get new pads now and maybe new discs as well getting even more bang for my buck is always nice.

It seems to me like the Pagid RS19 would fit the bill quite nicely for my needs.

Regarding discs, I like the Girodisc upgrade that uses 350mm floating discs with original calipers by the means of spacers and longer bolts and still being lighter than OEM 330mm. Price is very competetive as well.
Does anyone have any insight on this upgrade? Good, bad? Can/should mk2 pads be used with this setup, or will they not fit the caliper?

Being cheap (and broke after exhaust upgrade) I don't really want to upgrade the calipers to 6 pistons (mk2 setup) unless some silly bargain shows up.

Any other combination that should be on par with Girodisc/Pagid?
Performance Friction is not an option because of the dust.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:55 PM
JohnPG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Runet,

If you can fit the Girodisc rotors on the MK1 i think you will be happy with them. I've been using the slotted Giro's for a year now. They wear very well. Currently I'm having a problem getting the replacement rotors. I've got 11 days on the current set (fronts) and they'll be done in another couple days. Four of those days are four hour days so I feel that's pretty good wear out of them the rears have got more than 20.

I run pagid yellows up front and blacks in the rear. When I streeted the car the yellow would squel when cold, they also don't bite too well until warm. If your going back and forth track to street you may be happier throwing oem in for the street and pagids for the track.

Cheers
Old 07-04-2012, 03:15 PM
runet
Racer

Thanks for the feedback John.
I think i will try this combination (Girodisc, Pagid 19) as it seems to be a good upgrade for the mk1.

Last edited by runet; 07-04-2012 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-04-2012, 07:42 PM
TomGT3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John, how long does a set of pads last you. I have to switch out my ceramics soon and have been looking at options.

Tom
Old 07-05-2012, 07:57 AM
v12man
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience is that Pagid RS29 works better than RS19 - just a little, but it is there.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:02 AM
runet
Racer

Originally Posted by v12man
My experience is that Pagid RS29 works better than RS19 - just a little, but it is there.
Yes, I know they have slightly more friction and therefor a little more bite, but I just don't know if I really need it compared to a little more longevity for the RS19. They should both be much better than OEM anyway.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:14 AM
v12man
Instructor

It's more bite, but not a lot of bite when cold... both 19 and 29 have behaved badly when cold - makes for a quick early morning wakeup I promise.

The good thing is they squeak like hell, and make pedestrians etc get out of the road quickly.

Can't say I have noticed any longevity differences between the 2 though - go for more grip cold evey time - for street use they are not great - for track, they are very good.

RS14 is ok on the street cold, and fine on the track, but a bit noisier than rs19/29

Maybe RS15 Grey would be worth a try, has more cold grip than rs29 and rs14.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:34 AM
runet
Racer

It's more bite, but not a lot of bite when cold... both 19 and 29 have behaved badly when cold - makes for a quick early morning wakeup I promise.

The good thing is they squeak like hell, and make pedestrians etc get out of the road quickly.

Can't say I have noticed any longevity differences between the 2 though - go for more grip cold evey time - for street use they are not great - for track, they are very good.

RS14 is ok on the street cold, and fine on the track, but a bit noisier than rs19/29

Maybe RS15 Grey would be worth a try, has more cold grip than rs29 and rs14.
I've been looking at these charts:
http://braketechnology.com/techinfo.html#frictiongraph

http://braketechnology.com/racecharacteristics.html

I think RS15 looks way to agressive.
RS14 would be a much better choice I think, but I'm still leaning towards the yellow ones for an allround pad.

But maybe RS29 is a better choice than RS19 due to better cold friction and bite and therefore better on the street.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:44 AM
v12man
Instructor

Read the text carefully - you will see they say rs15 is only 20% more than rs 14 - the chart axis on the left is not from 0 - which is annoying... but I have never seen RS15's for sale in our pads - but that extra is worth a lot when cold - should make them about the same as a street pad when cold - definately worth a look though to see if you can find them.

As I say - expect a scary moment or 2 with either when cold - take it easy with cold brakes and you are good with any of them.

"RS 15 Grey
High friction racing compound with high content of ceramic materials, fade resistance up to 700ºC (1,300ºF). It combines a 20% higher friction value than the RS14 with a slightly increased pad wear. "
Old 07-05-2012, 03:13 PM
runet
Racer

Read the text carefully - you will see they say rs15 is only 20% more than rs 14 - the chart axis on the left is not from 0 - which is annoying... but I have never seen RS15's for sale in our pads - but that extra is worth a lot when cold - should make them about the same as a street pad when cold - definately worth a look though to see if you can find them.

As I say - expect a scary moment or 2 with either when cold - take it easy with cold brakes and you are good with any of them.

"RS 15 Grey
High friction racing compound with high content of ceramic materials, fade resistance up to 700ºC (1,300ºF). It combines a 20% higher friction value than the RS14 with a slightly increased pad wear. "
Any opinion on disc wear using RS14 or RS15 vs RS19/29 and OEM? Pad wear is one thing, but is the increase in disc wear about the same rate as the pad wear?
Old 07-05-2012, 03:40 PM
runet
Racer

Originally Posted by runet
Any opinion on disc wear using RS14 or RS15 vs RS19/29 and OEM? Pad wear is one thing, but is the increase in disc wear about the same rate as the pad wear?
Found the answer in this thread, and there are many more threads with more or less the same information and conclutions: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...4-vs-rs19.html

In my case, going up to 350mm disc on all corners will most likely give more bias to the rear without introducing more aggressive pads in the rear, and all other info put together indicates quite clearly for me that the yellow pads is the way to go for my needs, and that RS29 is most likely the better option for street use vs RS19.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:19 AM
v12man
Instructor

Going to 350mm all round will do absolutely nothing to the bias front to rear.

If you changed the rear to 350 and left the front at 330, then there would be a small (very small) shift to the rear.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:05 AM
runet
Racer

Going to 350mm all round will do absolutely nothing to the bias front to rear.

If you changed the rear to 350 and left the front at 330, then there would be a small (very small) shift to the rear.

That is, of course, absolutely correct.
I will try not to write any more at 1.40am local time......
Old 07-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

There's probably a lot of info out there on this already, but when I ran Pagid RS19/29s I found that they just didn't bite as well or release as quickly as I prefered. I know LVDell and others had the same issue. You may want to look at the Performance Friction pads available for this platform.

I went thru about 5 sets of pagids the whole time I had my 996TT. Part of that time was running 330mm rotor/pad combo (I believe the calipers were the same) and the rest was running 996GT3 MK2 parts.

Mike
Old 07-06-2012, 08:29 AM
runet
Racer

Originally Posted by Mikelly
There's probably a lot of info out there on this already, but when I ran Pagid RS19/29s I found that they just didn't bite as well or release as quickly as I prefered. I know LVDell and others had the same issue. You may want to look at the Performance Friction pads available for this platform.

I went thru about 5 sets of pagids the whole time I had my 996TT. Part of that time was running 330mm rotor/pad combo (I believe the calipers were the same) and the rest was running 996GT3 MK2 parts.

Mike

Hi Mike.
Thanks for the input, this thread sums up a lot of the differences between Pagid and PFC:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...-vs-pagid.html

As I said in the first post, I think the dust from the PFC will be to annoying to live with in the long term.
I'm not in need of the absolute maximum brake performance available either, it's just that my OEM calipers and pads are done and I would like to take the opportunity to have something better, long lasting and slightly lighter for a reasonably price. My driving skills is not on a level where the pads will be the most imortant factor in getting round the track faster, but I would still like to get a combination that fits my needs in the best way.
I hope that makes sense :-)

Quick Reply: Advice on brake disc and pads 996 GT3 mk1