Just installed my Dension Gateway 500

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 03:32 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
It may be as simple as swapping the input and output on your fiberoptic ports... It requires pulled the plug appart and moving the two fiber optic cable locations in the plug.

Mike
So, decided to take it in. The shop says no optical output. Would the above address the issue?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Mike in CO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
So, decided to take it in. The shop says no optical output. Would the above address the issue?
So if I understand correctly, you have the optical cables and connectors, and everything is connected, but you aren't seeing any indication of any communications. Correct?

I had a similar situation when I was hooking up my Gateway 500. What I found was that both devices (the radio and the gateway) would only try to handshake with each other when they were initially connected to 12v power. If they weren't able to handshake at power up, then they wouldn't talk, period.

These devices both get power independent of the ignition switch. So what I had to do was hook them up, then disconnect the battery for 10-15 seconds and then reconnect it. This causes them to power up at the same time, and they appeared to successfully handshake.

YMMV, but this is what it took for me. (I still haven't gone to the dealer to activate, so I don't know for sure that my setup worked. But I definitely saw a change in behavior when I disconnected and reconnected the battery.)

Good luck,
Mike
Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in NJ

These devices both get power independent of the ignition switch. So what I had to do was hook them up, then disconnect the battery for 10-15 seconds and then reconnect it. This causes them to power up at the same time, and they appeared to successfully handshake. ...
Mike
Mike, what do you mean by "...what I had to do was hook them up..."? I have the radio installed, of course, and the CDC-4 connected via the optical cable.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Mike in CO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Mike, what do you mean by "...what I had to do was hook them up..."? I have the radio installed, of course, and the CDC-4 connected via the optical cable.
I meant, make all of the necessary connections (optically and electrically). Then disconnect the battery for a bit, and then reconnect the battery. All components receive power at the same time, and that seemed to get them talking (for me anyway).
Mike
Old 06-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Guys, I've been purposely quiet for two reasons...

I don't have the car home with me as it is getting a clear bra installation done this week...

And

I haven't had a chance to get the port turned on yet.

Mike
Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Guys, I finally got the CDC port activated and I've got ZERO connectivity. Sometimes my controller lights up with the blue light. Sometimes it isn't. I'm not sure I haven't got a broken a fiber optic cable swaping them around... So forget EVERYTHING I've said... I've disconnected the battery to reset everything and that's not the answer for my issue.

Mike
Old 10-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

I wanted to revive this thread as today I emailed back and forth with Eric at Bumperplugs for about 2 hours back and forth until I finally figured out the issue with my Gateway 500. I had to swap what was an intermittent failure on one of my cables in the loop. after resetting the unit and reconnecting all the wire connectors to the Gateway, my system is finally working properly. I wanted to add this graphic because it's my understanding that all 2004-2005 GT3s do not have a CD changer and do not have an external optical amp. This being the case, if you have the CDR 23 or CDR 24, you should confirm the following connections for your optical loop:

Again, once you have the optical loop connected properly as in the graphic above, you must also have 12 volt CONSTANT "unswitched" power. I pulled my power from the fuse panel located behind the dead pedal panel in the driver's side footwell. Once you provide that, and have the rest of the connections made, the wires run and the dipswitches set (from left, first three are down, fourth up, fifth down, sixth up), then you must have someone connect to your headunit and turn on the CD Changer function thru the MOST interface. You'll need to go to a Porsche dealership or aftermarket service center that has a Porsche diagnostic tool.

I was of the mind today that I was either going to resolve this problem with the Gateway or I would be removing the system all together and going another route. So I'm pretty pleased that the unit is functioning and I can now listen to an Ipod or the Iphone music library thru the head unit.

Mike
Old 10-29-2012, 08:51 PM
RSMC
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is the iPod functionality? Do you access it through the head unit? Seems like a good addition to the car if you drive it on the street.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

You access and control it thru the head unit.

Mike
Old 10-29-2012, 11:32 PM
RSMC
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikelly
You access and control it thru the head unit.

Mike
Nice. Does it have Bluetooth capabilities like Dell said, or is that only the 997 version?
Old 10-30-2012, 07:41 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

It doesn't support Bluetooth on these models, unfortunately. I was sorely disappointed in that one factor. I must admit that in a couple of areas Porsche Dropped the ball in engineering and technology designs. The whole "most" system is really funky and not a great design. The technology really does lock the consumer into their Porsche headunit. Granted, this IS a GT3 and was truly designed to be driven in performance situations, which is why the weight is so low.

I have come close to ripping out the CDR23 and starting over with a custom system. I'll hold off now that the GW500 is fully functioning. I'll just have to buy a Parrot or other bluetooth stand-alone unit.

Mike
Old 04-21-2014, 03:13 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thread resuscitation. Anyone have the diagram that Mike posted at #22? It's no longer on Photobucket either. I want to get back to trying to get my CDR23 and CDC4 to communicate.

Quick Reply: Just installed my Dension Gateway 500