Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off the Street, Into a Cup

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 02:45 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts

It needs a new cupcar floorboard. He certainly got his money's worth. Well used. Tough to know whether it's street or cup. Possibly it's a '99 cup(could be mk2) updated to mk2 look. Probably lot of those parts(ext) came from a donor street car. More then likely a cupcar because don't see maf attached to cone filter. Also it's throttle cable actuated on this car. Mike
Old 06-12-2012, 12:02 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Good move, and certainly the next evolutionary step if you mostly track your current GT3
Old 06-13-2012, 07:13 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HiWind
Haven't gone thru all the shots but definitely wierd that the back bumper has side and middle exhaust cutaways - ie it's now got a middle exit but the old side exits are still there.
Have you seen what Porsche charge for rear cup bumpers now parts are done through retail not motorsport?...
Old 06-13-2012, 07:43 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

No doubt ... But if it were a cup originally it wouldn't have that bumper ie it seems to be a clone, no?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:49 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HiWind
No doubt ... But if it were a cup originally it wouldn't have that bumper ie it seems to be a clone, no?
Don't know on that, but they get damaged so I can see why someone might take the cheaper option..
Old 06-14-2012, 12:25 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

OT, if you were to break cup bumper, the street version is better.
it's not as brittle, you can take some hits and get it reformed, fixed much easier. it's not much heavier and it's cheaper.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Finally

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=84112
Old 09-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Agree +1 million with Blake. I, and many of us, have gone down the rabbit hole of modding our "street" cars to the point they are no fun on the street anymore and have become 90-100% track use. At the end of the day, they are still a street car with track goodies but will never be a true track car. If you have your heart set on a P-Car then one of the most amazing platforms is the 6Cup. I have decided that my 7GT3 will only get a few track goodies, like the ones that are a necessity (i.e, toe arms and some safety equipment). If and when I get the time to go to the track again like days of old, then it will pick up a 6Cup and have fun the proper way. But right now, going 3-4 times a year, the lowly 7GT3 street car will have to do
Eeeexactly.

Which is why my 997.2 will remain stock
Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations! Please keep us apprised once you get the car on the track and let us know your thoughts.... Sweet pics!

-B
Old 09-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Yesterday was my first day in the Cup. What a thrill. All the sounds, rattles and vibrations are just so cool and intimidating. The car handles not that different from a street car i have to say. Basic balance is the same to me. Big difference is the acceleration, the grip and easiness of turning in and out. All is even more pin point precision and razor sharp steering and balance. Weight difference is immediately clear when accelerating and braking and just love these gear ratios.

Had to replace a front damper quickly so no real set up checks and also running on 3 year old slicks so was taking it a bit easy. Nest step is working on the set up of the car (shocks, alignment, tires) to go faster and faster.

In this lap i did a 1:57 on old tires. Fastest lap on my street car on slicks was a 1:59. In this session I had to lift before the straight. This was to avoid being blacked flagged for too much noise. I still have the original Carrera Cup exhaust of 103Db. 90 was the max that day. Also a weird BMW move that cost me a couple of seconds. I guess a 1:54 should be possible soon.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:32 AM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

I have followed many of your postings and your progression to this cup seemed inevitable. Congrats and I look forward to more videos. I, like you, started track driving 2 years ago and this year had a 996.2 GT3 and loved it. I am in the process of putting it up for sale(as I did not want to strip it - its just too nice and its still under warranty) and looking at a pure track vehicle like a 6.cup.

This thread has definitely inspired me to move even faster on this.

Thanks and congrats.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:43 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Come on in GMRcr ... The waters fine

Seller just dropped me this pic as he sets off to do the handover tomorrow here in Cape Town!

You'll know it's here when avatar pic changes
Old 09-29-2012, 01:28 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

HW..is that a dare I sense!

Then its on. BTW post the pics of the new car when it gets there and more importantly vids of you driving it.

I am keeping my fingers crossed. We are going car hunting as soon as the season ends here. And because the fictitious Coriolis Force spins my toilet bowl water clockwise, I am heading into winter. I am putting my car up for sale soon and will see if there is interest otherwise it will have to be springtime before a new track weapon ends up in my garage.

Its looking for a good home

Last edited by GentlemanRacer; 12-16-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:48 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Again, thanks for the post Q&A. PLEASE keep us apprised of your progressions - specifically car feel and those little nuances that differentiate the cup from the street version. I have limited time in a 6cup on the track, but agree 100 percent with your above comment: Big difference is the acceleration, the grip and easiness of turning in and out. How right you are!

Like most, I have debated the "6.2 stripper" route - but a lengthy chat with my mechanic convinced me to create an RoW "club sport" edition first (full cage, lwfw, etc.), play with that for a few years to improve car control, and then commit to a GT3 Cup in time... Definitely enjoying the journey.

And to GentlemanRacer - please let me know if you sell any of your track parts. I admire those wheels!

-Blake
Old 09-29-2012, 02:35 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Definitely will Blake.

I am hoping to sell the whole package together, track and stock wheels, but am just sorting through my mods list etc and trying to decide if I will offer for sale either the track setup, street setup or both. Obviously the track package is timewise easier for me, but if the wheels are not sold, you can have right of first refusal. I will pm you if or when it comes to that.

Vince

Quick Reply: Off the Street, Into a Cup