Old 05-30-2012, 01:26 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Searched it, Read it, want to do it again

New 996.GT3 (pics coming)

I want to trailer it.

I need a tow vehicle.

I need your opinion for trailer/tow combo.

Considerations:
Distance to track would be about 500-600km
Will pack entire family (5) along with wheels and tires.
Family requires a lot of luggage (girls)
I don't like crashing and I want the vehicle to be able to handle an emergency maneuver.

I have read about, wheelbase, weight etc, now I need real world expertise (mooty)

Considering either a featherlite or trailex open trailer (adv versus disadv?)
Tow possibilities 1/2 ton pick up (Ford F150 or Toyota Tundra) or SUV

Any opinions good or bad appreciated
Old 05-30-2012, 01:45 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Congrats on the new car. You will love it !!

I just started trailering with a 8045 Trailex a few weeks ago. My tow vehicle is an ML550 and it tows with zero issues.

I usually travel alone and have stuff in the trunk and the back seat. Your situation with 5 people and all the baggage may require a bigger SUV or just simply a crew cab pickup with a closed bed.

I cannot say enough regarding the excellent quality and modularity of the Trailex 8045 as well as my dealings with Primo trailers in Ottawa being the exclusive dealer for Trailex in Canada.

Just do it.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:52 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

DHI, I hope to be out in LCMT soon enough.

Did you consider 7451 as well?

I here good things about Chris
Old 05-30-2012, 02:29 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 108 Posts

Whatever you get, highly recommend a diesel. I used a Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab, TurboDiesel with Allison tranny towing a 24' enclosed trailer. Solid!!!
Old 05-30-2012, 03:14 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,808 Likes on 2,380 Posts

I love Trailex but FORGET it
u said five girls? u need a semi 18 wheeler

ok seriously how old r the gals?
Mia is 7, max is 3. they will b bored on trk. so I had two iPad, two Mac boon, four bi/tricycles, BBQ grille, junk food (lots of it) if u got out of Costco itch ess than $300 worth of junk food pls do ur family a favor go bk and buy a ZLOT more. u will thank me later. then u need real food, fruit, juice, water, ice cream, Popsicle (these requires cooler obviously and coolers need space duh) above will overload even a suburban. u are all set. so u pull out the driveway only to realize u haven't landed the girls, their luggage, ur tires.

funny huh? 30 miles den the rad wife calls to tell u, u forgot ur own luggage, the one will helmet and driving suit. I know bc that happened to me!

if u race, forget family
if u DE, take harm and everyone as fun
I just did three days on trk with kids. they loved it
I will post pic tonight

u NEED a big truck die enclosed trailer. I didn't know how others do it with suv. I think my 3/4 ton dura ax is weak.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:17 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

sorry iPad stuck had to do another post
get the biggest baddest truck u can. today's truck is really comfy. I like mine more than out BMW or cayenne.

trailer, PLS get enclosed. or ur girls will be freezing or sun baked.
gt3 s about
Old 05-30-2012, 03:23 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

damn if I bk space iPad stuck

sorry
gt3 is approx 15'
u need a ft ahead and behind the car
u need at least 4' clear to take food, toys for kids, junk etc
tires go in trk bed or overhead rack in trailer
so minimum is 21'
that's really pushing it
24' that's clear 24' interior space is the most often used size for one car. easy resale too
but bigger is better
I have a 36' gooseneck with 28' clr floor. I ad it one week, I am redy to sell it for a 40'
I had 18', 20' and 24' before.
24' is happy medium

don't skimp on trailer
for racers ts a box to move race car
for u it's ur family's fun station on track

as you can see, my trailer defies gravity...
Attached Images      

Last edited by mooty; 05-31-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:02 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

You are so freaking funny mooty in a nice way.

One day when I make it to the west coast, I am going to take you and your whole family out to dinner. That's a promise.

Kids are 11, 8 and boy is 5. ALready got 3 ipods, 2 computers, 2 iphones, 3 nintendo DSI's so that our MDX looks like an overloaded plug outlet at a barbers shop. No wonder my battery light is always on.

I won't be taking the kids to the track but to the inlaws who live close to the track. But i still need to haul all the stuff from in their bedrooms with me. So either I am getting a closed bed 1/2 ton or SUV. I have a feeling the SUV won't cut it, so looking to see what others have done.

I am getting a good deal on a featherlite, but it is kinda small - length 14 ft but has tool box and tirerack - even smaller than trailex 7451. Whether I take the family in it once or a million time, I worry about highway safety, there is no compromise where the family is concerned. So if you are telling me better to go with 3/4 ton diesel, then so be it even it means 4miles to the gallon the rest of the time. I don't drive much in the city anyway as I walk to work.

Mooty how about a used 8045 trailex for now, until I go really big?
Old 05-30-2012, 04:17 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

ah u on,y need to transport kids and dump them to torture the inlaws. now I get the picture. revenge, I see.

ok if so, then one trailer is fine. u want the 8045. the small one is too narrow for RS. so, ur future RS won't fit and ur resale audience s smaller. also GE 8045 has longer ramps which works better for gt3.

the only thing bout open trailer is u just unload all the stuff on it. with enclosed, u just eave trck tems, tires, tool, compressor, furl jugs ll in there.

if towing just poem Trailex I think 1/2 ton or suburban are ok, depending on how heavy ur family and luggage weigh. things add up quickly.

I don't know mpg on gas suburbans but on my duramax diesel ( my DD) I get 15.8 over 77,000 miles in 2.75 yrs. I have a heavy foot.

Trailex also have an enclosed worth considering. but unless ur a 5' midget, u omt b able to stand up in it.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:20 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

my god, typing with two hands on iPad causes so many typo, even I'm embarrassed.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:27 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

"poem" LOL

Thanks for the advice mooty
Old 05-30-2012, 04:45 PM
88 Club Sport
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

If I could, I would have a 2500hd crewcab with a Duramax......you could tow your entire house to the track! I use my wife's Toyota Landcruiser and tow my 911 on a Featherlite aluminum trailer. Cars weights 2500lbs, trailer 1000lbs. The Cruiser is good for 70 mph on the flat but I'm hosed when I hit a grade. I'm starting to look for a GT3 to replace my current DE 911 and the extra 600lbs will be felt! Toyota's 5.7 in the Tundra crewmax would do it much better but if you have any plans for an enclosed trailer.....go diesel.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 80 Posts

I've got TWO trailers, one open (steel) and one enclosed (steel). I also have a dodge 3500 series cummins diesel truck, which could pull your house off its foundation. All that said, If I had it to do over again, ANY trailer I'd buy would be aluminum, for several reasons, but the biggie is the savings in fuel towing, and the fact that aluminum won't rust, where steel does. You can also get by with a lighter duty truck by lightening the load on the weight of the trailer...

Hope this helps.
Mike
Old 05-30-2012, 10:04 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by homer997
DHI, I hope to be out in LCMT soon enough.

Did you consider 7451 as well?

I here good things about Chris

I got good advice regarding the 8045 over the 7541.
The ramps are 11' instead of 7' or so. I can get a lowered 6 with Cup lip with no boards or raceramps.
The trailer width makes it more accommodating for the the 6GT3 but especially useful when time comes for resale, as it can handle wider cars like RS and other bigger cars.

David.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:10 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Had a Trailex 7541 from 93 to last month. Sold it for 10% less than I paid for it and got a new 8045. Love it. Yeah, it would be nice to have an enclosed trailer, but this works best for me. The resale and no rust and the fact that I can push it around with one hand are all excellent things. I started off towing with a 93 Astro AWD. Went through a 97 Expedition, a 04 Armada which were each progressively much better. Just got a 2012 RAM Sport Crew-- best yet. Don't need a diesel and it's one ton of additional weight for my purposes.

Quick Reply: Searched it, Read it, want to do it again